• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

Eggman, that roundabout is awesome, although I dunno if I can call it a roundabout, because, those lines in the middle are used to stop traffic I guess (stop lights would make it even awesome'r). But, regarding safety, at least here in Portugal, where roundabouts are like weeds, we found them safe, very safe actually. is more easier to find traffic accidents in "regular" intersections" than in roundabouts, even if some people do not follow the rules of them, i.e, the inside traffic rules. I also find them as an efficient and "democratic" way of dealing with traffic, specially when it is not even.

Regarding the transition I am working currently, thanks for all advices. Regarding the size, I am of the opinion that with this size, a better balance of fluidity and compactness is archived, but I can make two version, one with 3, other with 4 tiles, if it is possible to add both of them.

vinlabsc3k

Quote from: eggman121 on October 26, 2016, 12:35:02 PM
Just silently dropping these here  :-X

The pieces are in quarters so you can mix and match the quadrants.

-eggman121

Usually, here in Europe, the incoming lane have the stop and not the roundabout.
The last updates are speechless! :o Keep up the work!! :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Jimmyson

Quote from: JoeST on October 26, 2016, 01:21:17 PM
Quote from: eggman121 on October 26, 2016, 12:35:02 PM

IMO it would make more sense if the dedicated right lane didn't yield, and the outer roundabout lane became the inner exit? the yield lines are a bit strange to me, but I guess that could be me being used to UK rules (and also just general inexperience XD)

It looks fantastic though!, as do all of the rest of the pictures recently released :D

Yield lines inside a roundabout is weird IMO too.
I've never driven in a round about with a give way line inside it.

Maybe it's a reference to a weirdly shaped roundabout in North Melbourne

gn_leugim

QuoteUsually, here in Europe, the incoming lane have the stop and not the roundabout.

Indeed, but other things with round shapes exists, for example this "rotunda" (roundabout), although retains the name, in my view is not a roundabout, and has the lines in the middle of the circle, with trafic lights:

https://www.google.pt/maps/@41.1579284,-8.6301534,323m/data=!3m1!1e3 (street view may be helpful :p)

Other similar example is this longed circular intersection, that is not a roudabout, and is somehow alike the one made by Eggman.
https://www.google.pt/maps/@41.1745001,-8.6133473,119m/data=!3m1!1e3

ramrec

Vizoria

Mother of God is that a roundabout! Nice one eggman121!

Ernestmaxis

These are really nice! Very much used here in my region :thumbsup:

druidlove

On the roundabout issue, I did find one that does have lights not only in the roundabout, but on the exit lanes: Stockholm's Sergel Torg https://www.google.com/maps/@59.3326719,18.0656502,3a,75y,292.27h,62.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5cTTt9JUCtYynsGWa5bBIw!2e0!5s20140501T000000!7i13312!8i6656  (I do remember it from when I visited there in the early 2000s, and thought it was strange then). However, a good roundabout really does not need one, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Fredrik001

Quote from: druidlove on October 29, 2016, 11:04:58 PM
On the roundabout issue, I did find one that does have lights not only in the roundabout, but on the exit lanes: Stockholm's Sergel Torg https://www.google.com/maps/@59.3326719,18.0656502,3a,75y,292.27h,62.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5cTTt9JUCtYynsGWa5bBIw!2e0!5s20140501T000000!7i13312!8i6656  (I do remember it from when I visited there in the early 2000s, and thought it was strange then). However, a good roundabout really does not need one, but that's my 2 cents worth.

The reason for the traffic lights on the exit lanes is the crosswalk. We always have light regulated crosswalks for any roads that are 2+2 lanes, and downtown almost all crosswalks are light regulated. Ofcourse, stopping traffic from leaving roundabouts causes terrible backups in every direction  :thumbsdown:

Fredrik001

Since you 'muricans (and everyone else) seem a bit confused about the rules of roundabouts, i figured i'll explain.

In most countries, vehicles entering the roundabout yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. This basically means that countries with right hand drive yield left and vice versa. Very few countries, France the most well known, have the opposite of this, where instead you yield to vehicles entering the roundabout. This makes no sense and is horrible for traffic flow as well as safety. For proof just google image "Paris Roundabout". 
Any other configuration, where vehicle flow is regulated through traffic lights no matter those lights regulate entering, going through or exiting is not at all to be considered a roundabout, its a one way street/road that happens to be kind of circular. London is full of these.

Eggman's would be the French kind, an unregulated roundabout where yield is given to those entering.

Hope this clears things up :)

kbieniu7

With stop lines or not - it's amazing! Great work, eggman! &apls
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

Quote from: kbieniu7 on October 30, 2016, 01:41:39 PM
With stop lines or not - it's amazing! Great work, eggman! &apls

Agreed. Not to mention, stop lines are simply a texture thing. Nothing stopping someone creating the alternate version as an optional override.

druidlove

Quote from: Fredrik001 on October 30, 2016, 06:49:06 AM
Since you 'muricans (and everyone else) seem a bit confused about the rules of roundabouts, i figured i'll explain.

In most countries, vehicles entering the roundabout yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. This basically means that countries with right hand drive yield left and vice versa. Very few countries, France the most well known, have the opposite of this, where instead you yield to vehicles entering the roundabout. This makes no sense and is horrible for traffic flow as well as safety. For proof just google image "Paris Roundabout". 
Any other configuration, where vehicle flow is regulated through traffic lights no matter those lights regulate entering, going through or exiting is not at all to be considered a roundabout, its a one way street/road that happens to be kind of circular. London is full of these.

Eggman's would be the French kind, an unregulated roundabout where yield is given to those entering.

The idea of a roundabout is actually a good idea when it is engineered correctly. It should be a yield to the traffic in the roundabout, just like one would yield to oncoming traffic in a regular intersection. They are starting to spread like wildfire in the US. Even the show Mythbusters tested the roundabout and found it more efficient than a regular intersection. The only problem is that I've seen cities that want to plop a roundabout to control traffic, and do not take in consideration bicyclists (where they have to share the road in states that have this law) or semi-trucks into consideration. Both can be hazardous, which is why studies need to be taken up at such incidents.  The lights at roundabouts does defeat the purpose of a roundabout, even if it's for pedestrian crosswalks due to gridlock.

I've actually lived in Sweden for about six years, and in that time, Stockholm was like a weekend trip of fun for me and my family. However, Vägverket does one thing right: the 2+1 highway (or the RHW-3, or possibly the ARD-3 in NAM) where the middle lane changes direction every mile or so like on highway 80 between Falun and Gävle. This allows adequate safe passing opportunities.

Fredrik001

Quote from: druidlove on November 01, 2016, 01:12:15 AM

The idea of a roundabout is actually a good idea when it is engineered correctly. It should be a yield to the traffic in the roundabout, just like one would yield to oncoming traffic in a regular intersection. They are starting to spread like wildfire in the US. Even the show Mythbusters tested the roundabout and found it more efficient than a regular intersection. The only problem is that I've seen cities that want to plop a roundabout to control traffic, and do not take in consideration bicyclists (where they have to share the road in states that have this law) or semi-trucks into consideration. Both can be hazardous, which is why studies need to be taken up at such incidents.  The lights at roundabouts does defeat the purpose of a roundabout, even if it's for pedestrian crosswalks due to gridlock.

I've actually lived in Sweden for about six years, and in that time, Stockholm was like a weekend trip of fun for me and my family. However, Vägverket does one thing right: the 2+1 highway (or the RHW-3, or possibly the ARD-3 in NAM) where the middle lane changes direction every mile or so like on highway 80 between Falun and Gävle. This allows adequate safe passing opportunities.

Agreed on the roundabouts, they're great when engineered correctly and used in the right places. Trafikverket (former Vägverket) has however aquiered a bad habit of using roundabouts where main throughfares intersect with smaller streets, giving equal right to high speed, high density traffic and those that really should yield. Not to mention roundabouts over freeways, where traffic backs up all the way down to the through lanes, rather than an intersection where traffic from the freeway can be prioritized.

I can't agree on the 2+1's though, guess I'm more of an aggressive driver :P
I hate being stuck on those behind a few slow drivers, and then when the passing lane opens up one of the slow but slightly faster drivers decide on blocking it for it's entire length ;)

gn_leugim

Just to leave a small update, I had finished the texture I was working on, but I didn't like the end result, so I scrapt it and started a new one, which, is looking better IMO.  :)

strucka

Quote from: druidlove on November 01, 2016, 01:12:15 AM

Actually rounadabouts aren't that generic.

The first thing to know when desinging one is, it has a limitation to how much traffic it can handle. So there is a very good graph showing in between how much traffic it is ok to build a roundabout. Too few traffic and it's costly, too much traffic and it will start to generate huge traffic jams. And at this end there is a solution that allows roundabouts to work their magic with even greater capacities. It's called a semaforized roundabout (so with traffic lights). This isn't just a circular one way road, as someone wrongfully named it. It is a roundabout, but the traffic lights enable it to have a better traffic flow, just as the yield signs regulate the traffic flow otherwise. Here in Ljubljana, we have one of the major city arteries intersecting with the expressway in such a manner. It is a combination of a turbo rounddabout which is also semaforized. It has 4 entry lanes, so you decide where to go before the roundabout and very short traffic flow dependend traffic lights that in effect are a bit of a transition between the autonomus vehicles and people driving like idiots. In effect the cimputer organizes how people behave. And it works really great, since its there, there hadnt been any accidents and rush hour traffic is flowing. Before the traffic lights, there were accidents every day, causing long stand stills. There are also a lot of other variants, that all serve their purpose, like the french variant, where they changed the yielding to the roundabout. While that abviously seems a dumb idea, it in fact isn't, because it is esier to enter the roundabout, so more cars enter. At a certain point it will of course block the whole thing, but that is the same at the nonfrench version. The upper limit of traffic for a roundabout.

roadgeek

I would like to see OWR-1 merges with either OWR-2 or OWR-3, in order to form nice offramps. FA OWR-1 would be a bonus!

eggman121

roadgeek

You guys ROCK!!!! I can never say this enough! You never cease to amaze me!

roadgeek

Hey eggman

Did you ever create an Ave-6 curve? I see the TLA-7 curve.
Just wondering.