• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The NAM Returns to Mac OS X (New NAM 34/CAM 2.1.0 Bundle from Mero90)

Started by Tarkus, July 28, 2014, 01:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Note as of February 13, 2016: NAM for Mac has returned as part of Mero90's new bundle with CAM 2.1.0.  More details and official support here

The wait is finally over.  The NAM is officially back on the Mac, with the release of NAM 32.1.  And for the first time, it includes an installer, providing a similar user experience to what our Windows installer package has offered.

The changes included in NAM 32.1 are specific to ensuring compatibility with the 2014 Aspyr re-release of the Mac OS X port of SimCity 4 Deluxe, on the Mac App Store and Steam: 

• Exemplar encoding has been fixed, effectively solving the crash-to-desktop (CTD) issues that have existed on the Mac port since Apple's removal of Rosetta in OS X Lion (10.7).
  • Adds transit network paths that were missing in the Aspyr release.
  • Includes an installer for the first time.

NAM 32.1 is a Mac-only release, and all the changes to the package are aimed at ensuring compatibility with the Aspyr port.  No other features have been added, making a NAM 32.1 release unnecessary for Windows. 

In order to open the NAM for Mac installer, you will need to acquire a file decompression tool capable of handling 7-zip (.7z) files, such as Keka or The UnArchiver.  We have used 7-zip because of its use of LZMA compression, allowing the file to be hundreds of megabytes smaller.  The package contains a "READ FIRST" .txt file that will further instruct you as to installation. 

A few other items of note:

• As the installer package is basically the Windows installer running in a Wineskin wrapper, it is unable to detect Java, and by default, cannot run the Controller Compiler.  You will encounter a pop-up dialog box informing you of this while the files are installing.  The installer is designed to install the full NAM Controller as a failsafe.  Testing results have shown that the full controller has much less of a performance impact on the Aspyr port than on the Windows version, but if you would like to run the compiler, it is possible to do so manually.  The "READ FIRST" document details this information.
  • The Aspyr re-release is known to have a quirk in which the number of files (not their size) contained in the Plugins folder can cause crashes to desktop.  This issue is inexplicably triggered with a much lower number of files if the user is running the game while not connected to the internet.  To avoid these crashes, we recommend that the user use a tool like the cross-platform JDatPacker in order to combine the NAM files.  Further instructions are included in the "READ FIRST" document.

Special thanks to memo from the NAM Team for spearheading this compatibility effort, and to Jonathan, Sabretooth78, and TEG24601 for testing and feedback.

The team would like to thank the Mac userbase for their patience, and we hope you enjoy this new package.

NAM 32.1 for Mac OS X: Download

-The NAM Team

TJ1

Whoa!!!!!!! Alex that was fast!!!!!! Thanks NAM Team!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TEG24601

Works great.  I can finally see a couple of bridges in game reliably as something other than rainbows.  And can build without pausing, saving, exiting, moving plugins, building, and then undoing it all.

Spaney

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm having zero success running the installer.  Unpacking all went fine, but when I open the app file absolutely nothing happens, no windows... nothing.

I'm seriously going to cry if I can't get at least some NAM components working on Mac :(

Also, running os10.9.4

sffc

Thanks for making this.  FWIW, when I attempt to run the installer, it crashes after a few seconds and leaves the following crash report (which I got from the OS X Console).

Process:         NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper720640039Wine [76289]
Path:            /Users/username/Documents/SimCity 4/Installers/NetworkAddonMod_Mac_OSX_Installer/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/bin/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper720640039Wine
Identifier:      NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper720640039Wine
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  bash [76285]

Date/Time:       2014-12-26 01:19:54.659 -0600
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @rpath/libwine.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/username/Documents/SimCity 4/Installers/NetworkAddonMod_Mac_OSX_Installer/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/bin/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper720640039Wine
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
/Users/username/Documents/SimCity 4/Installers/NetworkAddonMod_Mac_OSX_Installer/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/bin/../lib/libwine.1.dylib: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x6C 0x69 0x62 0x77 0x69 0x6E 0x65 0x2E
/Users/username/Documents/SimCity 4/Installers/NetworkAddonMod_Mac_OSX_Installer/NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib/libwine.1.dylib: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x6C 0x69 0x62 0x77 0x69 0x6E 0x65 0x2E

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b  dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

I briefly looked on Stack Overflow for an answer but didn't find one that worked.  I'm running OS X 10.6.8.

memo

I can only assume the problem is related to your OS version 10.6.8. I did not have a chance to test the wrapper on Snow Leopard and have not heard of anyone doing so, especially since the 2014 rerelease of the game is only available for 10.7 or later. My suggestion is to try to create your own wrapper using Wineskin for 10.6.8. However, for that to work, it is crucial to use the 32.1 Windows installer (as opposed to 32) that was wrapped inside the Mac wrapper, as it was updated to work on a Mac. It is located at

"NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper.app/drive_c/Program Files/NetworkAddonMod Setup 32.1/NetworkAddonMod Setup 32.1.exe"

inside the wrapper.

Mero90

Hi guys, many Windows installers I have downloaded from the LEX (NAM 33 included) run on OSX El Captain via Wine.

Many Mac users experienced a issue on Wineskin ports related on WineskinX11 libraries.  ()testing()
This issue can be fixed by updating the Winsekin.app and Wineskin ports, as you can see on Wineskin website.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=82

There is also a link to the post I made on Steam for the Enclave Mac port, you will find on the bottom of this page.  ()stsfd()

http://steamcommunity.com/app/253980/discussions/0/598198356175658673/#p2

Remember, if you are updating Wineskin.app from 1.6.0, you have to UNINSTALL all engines you have previously installed, and then download them again.

Port specs:

• Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.2
  • Engine: WS9WineCX14.1.10

Here are some screenshots i made.

Lockesdonkey

Mero90:

Does what you posted have anything to do with fixing the following error:

After downloading the NAM and opening it with The Unarchiver, I open the NAM 32.1 Mac Wrapper. This more or less immediately gives me the following error:

The application X11 could not be opened.

An error occurred while starting the X11 server: "Failed to activate core devices."

If it helps you any, I had X11 installed two years ago so I could use my law school's remote desktop system (the program we needed for the particular project was very expensive, so to allow us to use it the IT department set up a remote desktop to allow us to use the program off the school's Windows computers.) I no longer use that system, so if I need to remove it I can.

Lockesdonkey

mgb204

Are you using El Capitan? Because there are a number of issues relating to changes in the O/S that you'll need to work around here. See this thread for more info on that one.

If you have access to a Windows environment, I can highly recommend running the installer there and the moving the files to the appropriate Mac folders. That should dispel any installation issues.

Otherwise I really can't help you and I'm not sure any of my fellow NAM-ites can either. None of the active members these days use a mac. Despite our best efforts to support all users with the NAM, Apple can't seem to stop changing things that mess it up somehow.

Mero90

@Lockesdonkey

Sorry, I didn't saw your post earlier.

Since I'm not a programmer, I'm a chemist and i needed to learn some Wine basics to run some data analysis software, I cannot provide you detailed information.
However X11 is used for the user interface on UNIX platforms (such as OSX), in a few words is the OSX user interface. Also many programs uses X11 for their UI.

So, why you get the Wineskin X11 error?

As you know, you can't run .exe programs under OSX without Wine.
Wine Is Not an Emulator, it does not emulate a Windows OS, but we can say that it runs and "translate" Windows programs in the OSX language.

To run the NAM installer you need to run Wine inside a Wineskin Wrapper. A Wineskin Wrapper is an App as you can see on OSX (i.e. the "NAM 32.1" app), inside the app are stored the Wine Engine and the .exe installer, Wine will run the .exe installer.

Wineskin Wrapper --> Wine Engine --> .exe programs

Unfortunately Wine doesn't have an user interface itself, so it mus be provided by the Wineskin X11, a special version of X11 stored inside the Wineskin Wrapper. (This is NOT the same X11 you have installed under Applications/Utility).

To create Wineskin Wrappers (or Wineskin Ports) you need an app called Wineskin Winery. Wrappers created in the past, with an old Wineskin release, are incompatible with OSX El Captain. This could be fixed by updateting those Wrappers using the last Wineskin Winery release, this is quite easy, that's why I made the post above.

I made a NAM 34 OSX port by myself, I could upload it on the LEX, but I'd like the agreement by the NAM team before doing that.

Mero90

The NAM 34 bundle for OSX (CAM 2.1.0 included) available on ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/nam-34-for-mac-cam-210-included

Should be available also on the LEX soon.  ::)

Please share your feedback here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17344.msg505849#msg505849  :)

Tarkus

The LEX upload is now up as well--you can pick it up here.

Mero90, thanks again for your efforts to bring the latest mods to the Mac community! :thumbsup:

-Alex

willyart

OS X 10.9 mac user here, the CAM 2.1 install seemed to work fine although I had to load "SC4 Dat Packer v. 1.0" from http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=26 and do the dat packing on a copy of MS Windows XP running in VMWare.

By the way is there a simple way to verify that I successfully packed and replaced that SC4 dat file and that CAM is working properly?

Thanks to all the creators for offering these wonderful packages NAM 34 and CAM 2.1 and taking the trouble to help us Mac users get it going.

InvisiChem

This would have been better in the CAM area, but no problem. Install the CRF, http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1831 then place either the Census Repository Vault or Facility in your game. Query it with some farms grown. If the Farm numbers are included in the Regional Totals, then the patch worked perfectly.

Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.