• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mapper startup issue

Started by Dan7, August 13, 2009, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan7

I have an issue very similar to that reported by Quesh. When I attempt to start the SC4Mapper, the NHP logo appears, then goes away and nothing else happens. When I attempt to shut down my computer, though, it asks me is I want to quit the Mapper, for some reason. I've heard this problem occurs to all Vista users, but I was unable to make the repairs sugested on the commments for the download. Can anyone help me out here?
P.S: my Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium.
You can call me Daniel. Or you can just call Dan. Danny if you really must. Or if you just want to stick to Dan7, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. Or sinks it, Although that's probably not the smartest idea.

j-dub

Are you able/have you gone to right click on the SC4Mapper icon, and selected properties, and then select compatibility, and then run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP? Depending on the circumstance, sometimes that does get programs to run on Vista that have a compatibility issue. From what it sounds, it sounds like your computer is running the process of the Mapper, while it fails to load the program up. This could easily be that Vista is just not capable of running it too. Sometimes the computer's driver(s) may not agree with certain programs. This may be another one of those cases.

SC4BOY

Do you have your region maps in the standard positions (file wise).. my recall is that it is totally inflexible if you move things around. I redirect to a packed plugin and it did the same for me, so I moved the region to the standard "SC4" spot and it worked fine

metarvo

If SC4Mapper won't work for you on Vista, maybe SC4Terraformer might.  It can be used to import .SC4M files and create regions, much like SC4Mapper.  I use Vista, so I never could get SC4Mapper to work even with compatibility settings, but SC4Terraformer worked perfectly once I applied compatibility settings and installed the latest DirectX.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Dan7

Well, the XP compatability fix doesn't seem to work, and whenever I attempt to start the terreformer, all it does is bring up the readme.
You can call me Daniel. Or you can just call Dan. Danny if you really must. Or if you just want to stick to Dan7, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. Or sinks it, Although that's probably not the smartest idea.

Jurek 101

I am having the same exact problem...when i go to use it only the NHP logo appears for a couple seconds then goes away and I'm using Windows XP too.

[Delta ²k5]

Same here with 7 Ultimate X64... :( The process is running, but nothing happens...

swashbuckler

I have windows 7 x64 and I have the same problem. When I click on the icon only logo appears and nothing happens. HELP!!! :'(

JayStimson

I have the same problem running on XP. Terraformer works just fine but I've never been able to get Mapper to work. The process is there but uses no cpu cycles. Just takes up memory and nothing ever shows on the screen.
Freedom is never free.

BarbyW

You probably have your My Documents in a C:\Users\My Documents location. SC4Mapper cannot accept any folder ith a U in its name. This problem has been discussed with solutions here:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3458.40
Try that, I did, and it should work.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original