• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Individual names

Started by Pictavienne, January 12, 2010, 02:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pictavienne

Hello :)

I've some downloaded some new buildings like trainstations which I want give individual names. I have the programs LeProp and Reader, I need those to for changing the LText, true? But where exactlye do I need to change something so each building can have his own name?

BarbyW

You can only change the name of the station so that each time you place it it will show the same name. You cannot change the name of any building to show different names for each time it is placed.
In LEProp you can change the name by clicking on the box labelled Name and typing in the same you want to use. Don't forget to Save after making the change.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Diggis

However, you should be able to change the name of the lot once it's plopped in game.

Pictavienne

So it isn't possible with the new buildings designed by others, only with the standard buildings that were already included in the game itselfs?

BarbyW

You can do it with any buildings not just Maxis ones.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Pictavienne

I know, but the tube and train stations (& busstops) of Maxis, it is possible to give each station its own name. I liked that, but I don't get it managed with the new stations I have downloaded.  :thumbsdown:

Pictavienne

Quote from: BarbyW on January 12, 2010, 02:12:27 AMYou cannot change the name of any building to show different names for each time it is placed.

So, it is possible with the Maxis tube/train stations and busstops, but isn't with new downloaded ones? Am I right? (I can give every placed Maxis-station its own name).

RippleJet

Pictavienne, it's been a while since this post of yours, so I hope you will still find my reply...
I'll quote myself from Names and descriptions of buildings and props:

Quote from: RippleJet on February 23, 2007, 03:04:17 PM

B. Building Names

2. User Visible Name Key

(Points to a valid LText file and Item Name is missing)
This is the naming procedure Maxis has used for all buildings (growable and ploppable) included in the game. This is also the naming procedure for buildings edited by LEProp.

You may individually change the names of all such buildings in game by editing the title in the query window and the changes will be saved with the game. If the building is a civic building or a landmark with an associated monthly cost, you will see the original name given in the LText file in the budget panel. That name in the budget panel will never change if you change the name of some (or all) such buildings in your game. The use of LText files also allows several languages to be present at the same time.

In other words, all you need to do is change the building's name in LEProp, save it and the name will be in an LTEXT file (and thus can be individually changed in the game).

chepetico

Hi, I have tried all of this but I cannot change the names of the stadiums, schools, etc.  What is the process to make the names of ploppable editable.

Sorengaard

Can't you permanently change the name of a building in iLive Reader by changing the Exemplar name property?
Steve

z

Quote from: Sorengaard on July 20, 2010, 12:51:06 AM
Can't you permanently change the name of a building in iLive Reader by changing the Exemplar name property?

That doesn't change the name that shows up in the query.  RippleJet has summed up the correct approach nicely.

Sorengaard

Changing the name in the Query window does not change the name permanently.  It only changes that particular building's name for that particular game when saved.  If you were to use that exact same building again later in the game it will not have the new name given by the Query.  It will have the old name.  And when you start a new game the old name will be all that there is.

Here is an example of a building with 3 different names in different places: Bank World Tower.  In the landmark menu it is Bank World Tower.  In the BuildingPlop cheat it is Beijing Olympic.  And when you plop the building using the cheat the first window before you plop it will say Bank of Gold Coast, which is the name of the file itself.

I am by no means an expert.  I have all kinds of questions that don't always make sense.  But the way it looks to me is that to change the name permanently so it is the same everywhere you can use the Exemplar Name properties in Reader using different files.  Please explain if I am way off base here.  I would like to know.  Thanks.  Steve

z

There are different names that are used in different places.  The exemplar name is normally just an internal name that is seen only by special tools.  But if you want consistency across the board, you can change that, although I wouldn't recommend it; these names tend to be formatted in a certain way so that they're easy to find by the tools that use them.

If you just want to change the query name to something different, but something that shows up the same in all new buildings, then eliminate the User Visible Name Key property and replace it with the Item Name property, putting your building name in the latter.  This also eliminates any multilingual capability, so it should be done only for your personal files.

chepetico

Quote from: RippleJet on February 10, 2010, 03:54:09 AM
Pictavienne, it's been a while since this post of yours, so I hope you will still find my reply...
I'll quote myself from Names and descriptions of buildings and props:

In other words, all you need to do is change the building's name in LEProp, save it and the name will be in an LTEXT file (and thus can be individually changed in the game).

Hi everyone!  I tried this and it did not work.  For example.  I change the name of Reliant Stadium in LEProp.  I then open a new region, place Reliant Stadium, change the name to "1", save the city, exit and go back into the city and name is Reliant Stadium again.  What am I missing.  How do I enable the city to always keep a new name.

Thanks

z

Did you follow the directions in RippleJet's post above?

chepetico

Quote from: z on July 22, 2010, 10:04:55 PM
Did you follow the directions in RippleJet's post above?

Yes, I used LEpropr ot enter LTEXT to the files.  Do I have to edit the item description in ilive?

Thanks

z

No, you can use the description field in LEProp as well.  But use Ilive's Reader to make sure that there is no Item Name property - I suspect that there is.  If one is there, you need to remove it.

chepetico

Quote from: z on July 24, 2010, 02:22:55 PM
No, you can use the description field in LEProp as well.  But use Ilive's Reader to make sure that there is no Item Name property - I suspect that there is.  If one is there, you need to remove it.

I think so as well, I will check it out and will let you know.

Thanks! ;D