• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Registry: How to Switch Languages and Driving Sides

Started by RippleJet, February 28, 2008, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogeo

For your info, setting the Language key to 0x0D doesn't change the date format. Everything defaults to US English. Did create a "Greek" folder and copied the simcitylocale.dat file from UKEnglsh (hoping that the date format would be stored as a string there), but this didn't really work.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if the LanguageName key setting really affects anything. It rather seems that the program instead reads the Language key only, which does make sense imho.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Andreas

Did you try to change the date format in Windows itself? Maybe SC4 just uses the system-wide format. It does care for the system date somehow, since the snow "easter egg" always appears at December 25th.
Andreas

cogeo

@Abdreas: nope, the date format in SC4 depends on the Language key setting, not on the system. If it's 1 it uses the american format. Btw what's that easter egg that appears on Dec 25th?

Andreas

Snow will appear on your mountain tops if you play SC4 at that day. :)
Andreas

smoncrie

I thought that people might like to know that, when testing, you can change the driving side without changing the registry.  You must set up a language folder as described above, but instead of changing the registry, you specify the language in the SimCity4.exe command line. For example, I use the following line in a Windows shortcut to start SimCity4 with left hand drive.

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off -r1920x1200x32 -CustomResolution:enabled -l:"UK English"

-l:"UK English"  is the part that specifies a language that uses the desired driving side.

I usually copy in the LHD files used by the NAM and RHW before I start testing left hand drive, but it can probably also be done by using the SimCity4.exe command line to specify a folder that contains these files.  If you usually use LHD, you will need to remove these files for testing RHD.

bright22

I am a Chinese user who is living in Australia now so I would like to use Left hand drive for this game

I get the game in TChinese version so the SimCityLocale.dat is under the folder of TChinese

However, I follow all the steps that you have given, like changing the registry file to 0x13 (UKEnglish), then create a subfolder called "UKEnglish". THen I move the SimCityLocale.dat into UKEnglish Folder.

When I run the game, all the vehicles are still running on Right Hand Drive. Would you please help me?  &ops

Andreas

IIRC, said folder needs to be called "UKEnglsh", without the "i".
Andreas

bright22

Quote from: Andreas on January 24, 2010, 06:36:46 AM
IIRC, said folder needs to be called "UKEnglsh", without the "i".

hi Andreas,

Thanks. I thought I misunderstood it.... I thought we need to create the folder called, "UKEnglish", actually the right one is "UKEnglsh"

Cheers
Bright

iamgoingtoeatyou

I have Windows 7 and I've been trying to get the cars to go and run on the left hand side, I've done all the things said, UK Englsh, 0x13, etc, and they still drive on the right. Any ideas?

io_bg

I also have Windows 7 and am not able to find SC4 in the registry (although I've installed it).  ()what()
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

iamgoingtoeatyou

Tarkus

I'd take a look at smoncrie's post here, which describes an alternate (and easier) method of switching driving sides.

Hope that helps!

-Alex

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Devotion4Q6

I have two copies of SC4 Deluxe, but on my second copy, the cars drive on the left (UK) when I want them to drive on the right (US.) This aggravates me ALOT, and all of those steps you do I don't even have on my computer files. If only Maxis made it easier.  >:(

RippleJet

Is the second copy of SC4 you've got a European version?
Have you tried changing the shortcut in accordance with smoncrie's post above?

In your case you would have to create a subfolder called "English",
and copy SimCityLocale.dat from the "UKEnglsh" folder into there.

Then, change the shortcut to either of the following
(if the first one doesn't work, try the second one):

• "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -l:"English"
  • "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -l:"English US"

Wthrwyz

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or 7 and insist on editing your registry, try looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Maxis\SimCity 4\1.0.
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

yacard

Hellos everyone, I have Steam SC4 deluxe Spa version, I live in US but my cars are driving in the wrong hand, I have followed the instruction, but my Reg is already in 5 (US - Spa language) and my cars keep moving wrong. I'm using NAM 3.0 full installation and It has been tested using RHD and LHD and the result is always the same one, cars moving like in England, so please, if anyone can help me with this I will appreciate.
I'm sorry for borrow your time and thank in advance

Tarkus

As I mentioned in my response to you at ST, no matter which drive-side option you select on the NAM, it will not change the drive side used by the game.  All installing the NAM in RHD will do to an LHD game is make certain items not function properly.

Allow me to quote smoncrie had to say about a less technical way to convert from LHD to RHD from a few posts up on this very same thread:

Quote from: smoncrie on October 24, 2009, 04:41:50 PM
I thought that people might like to know that, when testing, you can change the driving side without changing the registry.  You must set up a language folder as described above, but instead of changing the registry, you specify the language in the SimCity4.exe command line. For example, I use the following line in a Windows shortcut to start SimCity4 with left hand drive.

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off -r1920x1200x32 -CustomResolution:enabled -l:"UK English"

-l:"UK English"  is the part that specifies a language that uses the desired driving side.

I usually copy in the LHD files used by the NAM and RHW before I start testing left hand drive, but it can probably also be done by using the SimCity4.exe command line to specify a folder that contains these files.  If you usually use LHD, you will need to remove these files for testing RHD.

-Alex

yacard

Quote from: Tarkus on October 28, 2011, 11:35:25 PM
As I mentioned in my response to you at ST, no matter which drive-side option you select on the NAM, it will not change the drive side used by the game.  All installing the NAM in RHD will do to an LHD game is make certain items not function properly.

Allow me to quote smoncrie had to say about a less technical way to convert from LHD to RHD from a few posts up on this very same thread:

Quote from: smoncrie on October 24, 2009, 04:41:50 PM

-Alex

Thk my friend for the answer, but prob I made a mistake.... My cars are moving ok (US direction), the problem is with the NAM's layout, check this out . The black arrows indicate the traffic direction and red circel the the problem. As you can see the traffic is moving ok but the way that NAM stablish the intersection is wrong and that is my question. How change that layout. I checked the Reg and is ok (US version-Spa language) and I also did Alex's way (modify Command Line in the shortcut) and nothing solve the problem, as I said, the traficc direction is ok, but with both installation (Full - LHD and Full - RHD) of NAM, the pluggin keeps doing the same wrong layout. One more time, I'm sorry for bother you with this issue and thk for the replies

Lowkee33

Did you uninstall NAM before switching between LHD and RHD?  I believe the LHD files are not over written during a RHD install.