• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Nice. Some Epic scenes of WW2 coming, really cool. Looking forward to them!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice work on the midwest BTW, Chicago feels authentic to the real counterpart. :)  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dyoungyn

And yet another awful eye opening reality example of the damage "man" has caused due to selfishness.  Great display of the devastation war causes. 

PaPa-J

You must really be really digging into the farthest reaches and deepest depths of the internet to find all the lots and plops you use.

Great work. I Love it.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Badsim

Hi ,

... banally extraordinary , these two words are going so well together here . And always a mystery for me to understand how  you do manage to do so much works in a such short time .  /wrrd%&

Have seen that finally there's a new HoF election , is it necessary to wish you good luck ?  ;D

Congratulations for all the hard work constantly done ! &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

fantozzi

Berlin 1945:

With all respect, Korver, I admire your work, but so far you didn't get the subject right. Please try again.

https://www.stern.de/panorama/berlin-am-ende-des-2--weltkriegs-und-heute---fotos-im-schieberegler-der-geschichte-6200848.html

Removed first image.  While the staff respects the intent to show the horrors of war, it is a bit more graphic/grisly than we generally permit on the forums, getting toward Site Rule #2 material.  Also fixed one of the image tags on one of the middle photos. -Alex/Tarkus, Admin

mattb325

It's always a horrible reminder to see man's shocking inhumanity towards his fellow man over ideological differences. I do appreciate the pearl harbor scene...very realistic 

fantozzi

Korver, did you have a look on the link to the "Stern" page? The splitted movable pictures - showing today's situation on the left side and WW2's situation on the right side. Thought you might like this idea of a splitted picture present/past.

The major problem is: how do you want to display something completely out of joint, absurd, excessive and without any measures - how to display something like this realistic? Realism is, when we can judge and measure and analyze things.

The Philosopher Theodor W. Adorno said in 1949: "To write a poem after Auschwitz is barbarism." You can't give a realistic pitcure from what happened in Auschwitz. It was beyond what the term reality can support. Every picture you do will be belittlement, because the hell exceeded the capability of our understandings and so of our means of representation.

That is why Adorno said such marrowy words.

Imho - if you want to do something on the cruelty of war you have to leave your good sense ("bon sense" - original words by Rousseau, adopted as "common sense" to english), the whole concept of realism behind. A realistic impression ends at the gates of Auschwitz. Like when Dante Alighieri enters hell: "All hope abandon, ye who enter here." In the case of WW2 - abandon common sense when you enter here.

So for us to get closer to the circumstances far beyond of what is understandible, to catch a glimpse of the evil, we have to leave that ground of realistic art - of realistic pictures. That is a main objective of modern art and it's important to understand it is a serious objective. How can we get accees to these things beyond our imagination, beyond our capablities of understanding? How can we find expressions, means to describe things that lost any measure?

One of the best readings about this – and I really recommend it – is a report for "The New Yorker" written in 1963 from the Eichman-Trial in Jerusalem. The reporter by this time was Hannah Arendt. This report is online.

But, Korver, at the end this is only my view and all I felt was the need to explain why I'm not so happy with your latest updates. That isn't meant as critique on your artwork. This doesn't mean I want to judge your work. I just wanted to make some remarks about a subject being difficult in general, not specialy because of your treatment. Everything's fine about this. And I think at this points it's easy to speak in the name of the whole community: we all enjoy your work.

But ...  :laugh:

... me personally, if I wanted to show WW2 in a picture, I would do the following. In my city, Heidelberg, far from the touristic center, there is a tiny plaza in between narrow alleyways - it's called "plaza of the synagoge". What is frightening about this plaza - there is no synagoge. It is empty.

It looks like this:

I would go with this - what this little plaza is telling. Okay - to show absence is a pretty heavy task. Normally you want to fill pictures with a lot of colours and objects. But when you want to reach this coldest point of humanity one perhaps has to give up what he likes and to show extinction itself. Like you did on the Nakasaki-picture which is probably the best. Not to show what can be seen but to to have an emptyness like a question mark.

A brilliant variation of showing absence is this little cartoon by mordillo:

With the shadow still there in the last picture he creates a "wrongness", a gap. And it's easy to understand what he is talking about: the shadow is the memory. The memory stays, while the people are gone. One could say memory is the conscience of absence - of the people and things they aren't anymore. I think those gaps - like the missing tree - they are a means to talk about WW2.

Sorry for the wall of text, I was churning and felt a need to say all this.
Fantozzi

fantozzi

Quote from: korver on November 25, 2018, 04:26:16 AM
I felt that there was too much packed into the final update - so I'll probably be breaking it down into multiple updates in the future.

I would support this idea. There's nothing wrong in showing the big battles of WW2 and the details on the Pearl Harbor picture, like the splashes from the machine gun fire, they are impressive. Another challenge could be the german submarine blockade of England or the fighting in the north african dessert. Another very interesting and almost forgotten chapter are the italian soldiers on the small greek isles. Those hundreds of small greek isles were controlled by fascist italian army during WW2. But when WW2 ended some of the solders were simply forgotten by the italian state without a working gouvernement. Many of those italian soldiers in Greece for one, even two years they still believed it was war and did their patrols on these isles in the mediterranian and they thought it was evil propaganda from radio that war had ended - so as they did get no new command they continued to defend their little greek islands against the "enemy" long after war.

There are other chapters of WW2, I personally think, you can't tell them adequate in SC4. The human desaster, the Holocaust, the war against civilians. Hamburg, Berlin and Nagasaki and Auschwitz, the ghetto of Warsaw.

That doesn't mean you can't make pictures of WW2 at all. I don't want to be a moralizer ... and maybe simply to stay on the topic of epic battle scenes may do the trick? I wasn' concerned about your work but about some comments not aware how tasteless it sounds when they demand for "more". I know, they aren't evil guys. But I felt ashamed by those comments on your preview. 

I appreciate you considering this. Thank you, Korver.

Badsim

My dear friends , fantozzi , korver ,

By the past , I've had to feel a certain embarrassment with an update by kelis depicting concentration camps , how pure was his intention .

I said ... nothing . I simply stayed stupidly pensive . Stupidly pensive and stupidly sad . Stupidly sad but seriously ashamed .

Fortunately for our mental health , nothing of what we can think  , at its full consciousness or not , lasts ... and because that's how it is ,  before my consciousness have the good idea to move to something else , for sure infinitely more important :

Such truthful reaction , fantozzi , deserves a K-point .

Such intelligent reaction  , korver , deserves a K-point .

And when the  karma system  requested  me a reason and because we need to be short with  62 characters only , I wrote : Because .

Thanks to Alex for having removed the first picture ... independently to the site rules ( but not that much ) , if you think about it , fantozzi , it was a perfect counterexample of what you try ( and brilliantly succeed as far as I'm concerned )  to say .

Respectfully .

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Tarkus

Congratulations, korver, on True Earth being part of the SC4D Mayors' Diary Hall of Fame Class of 2018!

-The Mayor's Diaries Hall of Fame Committee and SC4D Staff

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

PaPa-J

Way to go Korver!!!!   &apls &apls &apls
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Alan_Waters

Worthy appreciation worthy master. Congratulations!

mattb325

fantozzi

Honor to whom honor is due. Finally. As the question never was "if" but only "when". And Korver being in the Hall OF Fame, it's an honor on both sides, I guess - even the SC4D Hall of Fame is honored by houseing Korvers artwork.

korver

- UPDATE 103: Ancient Wonders -

First and foremost, I would like to give a big thanks to everyone who voted for True Earth in the HoF election & a big thanks to the staff for putting together another election! I'm thrilled and honored to get elected into the HoF :)

Thanks as well for all the kind comments! :thumbsup:

- - -

Today, we're taking a trip back in time and covering each of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Although many of them have been destroyed several millennia ago - these remarkable structures still stir the imagination to this day. We'll begin with the oldest wonder first - and the only one still standing to this day. Enjoy!

The Pyramids of Giza
2500 BCE

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
500 BCE

The Construction of the Statue of Zeus at Olympia
450 BCE

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
350 BCE

Temple of Artemis
300 BCE

The Colossus of Rhodes
250 BCE

The Pharos of Alexandria
400 CE

-korver

dyoungyn

WOW!!!!!  I love the Roman Total War games and all these sites are monuments of wonders that Romans aim to capture to enrich the agricutural/fishing dreams of the time long past.  You must have had to create all these sites for your views.

fantozzi

In his short life, Alexander the Great founded 10 cities. He's so famous that is name is present in almost every language. And many people don't know if they order an "Iskender Kebap" the order an Alexander Kebap" - as Iskendar is nothing else as the arab name of Alexander.

The same with the tomb of King Mausolos of Cara that became so famous, that we call tombs built like houses all around the world "mausloeum".

Regarding the aspect of some of those wonders we have only little knowledge. So how creativity and accuracy join together here and form such descriptive pictures not only of the monuments but - in those many details - of ancient times, this is intriguing. I'd wish I could add sound of yelling people and donkeys and creaking wood.

Those pictures would enhance every history book.

art128

Funny, I was talking about these with a coworker the other day.

Spectacular work. I have to say I quite like the shot of Rhodes.

Props & Texture Catalog

mattb325

Magnificent! I love every splendid detail in that shot of Rhodes. It is just incredible  :)