• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korver

- UPDATE 88: Asian Skylines -

Today, we're returning to Asia to see a few more of the continent's most impressive skylines. After already taking a look at Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Shanghai in previous updates, today we'll be visiting Seoul, Taipei, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore.

We'll begin our tour in Seoul - the capital of South Korea. This city of nearly 10 million offers a stunning contrast of new and old architecture - and it's no more apparent than in the city center where the ancient Namdaemun temple sits right next door to modern high rise offices and apartments.

Seoul's distinctive 63 Building is one of the city's most recognizable sights and is covered with an exterior of glimmering gold glass.

Taipei's impressive Taipei 101 was completed in 2004 and was the world's tallest building for a number of years.

We move into Southeast Asia for our last three sights, starting with Thailand's capital, Bangkok. Rising high above the chaotic, bustling streets below is the stunning Baiyoke Sky Hotel - this 1,014 foot tall skyscraper is one of the world's tallest hotels and offers great views of the city.

Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur, is our next destination - and its skyline is dominated by the impressive Petronas Towers. Standing 1,483 feet tall, they were briefly the world's tallest buildings until being surpassed by Taipei 101.

The tour concludes with a look at Singapore's CBD. This small island nation may only be 278 square miles big - but is well known for having one of the continent's best skylines with plenty of modern highrises along its waterfront.

-korver

art128

Well I expected to see the Lotte World Tower from Seoul. Pretty great update. The parks on the shoreline of Seoul are neat.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

manga rivotra

You are a master in absolutely all styles, it is really amazing!  &apls &apls &apls
And in bonus, you are extremely productive,  we are lucky to have you, thank you the artist!  :thumbsup:

korver

art128: Thank you, glad you enjoyed the pictures. :) There's a possibility that I'll do a separate Seoul update down the road - so you might get to see it eventually ;)

manga rivotra: Thank you very much for the kind comment :thumbsup:

korver

- UPDATE 89: Historic Europe -

Today, we're taking a historical look at some of Europe's most iconic landmarks. I wanted to capture as much of Europe's impressive history as possible, so I've done scenes from a variety of different eras - hope you enjoy this trip back in time!

The Acropolis and Parthenon - 400 BC
Ancient Athens

The Colosseum - 50 AD
Ancient Rome

Montelbaanstoren - late 1700s
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Eiffel Tower - late 1800s
Paris, France

Place De La Concorde - early 1900s
Paris, France

Brandenburg Gate - early 1900s
Berlin, Germany

-korver

PaPa-J

Why do I make plans to travel the work and see the sites?  I just need to read your MD.  Great work Korver.  :thumbsup:
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Alan_Waters

I'll never be able to understand how you can create masterpieces so quickly and so masterfully.

art128

Funny how Paris didn't change much in 200 years. Really like that Berlin picture, reminds me of Peterycristi's historic Berlin MD. :) (Sadly all pictures are long gone.)

Here's two challenges/ideas for you:

Try to make a Singapore special featuring the F1 grand prix and a Paris special featuring the building of the Metropolitain with cut and cover works, submersed caisson in the Seine and beautiful viaduct.

Props & Texture Catalog

Akallan

Simply great to see these old scenes! The Place de la Concorde in Paris is my favorite, even if they are all beautiful. It's just beautiful to see Paris at this time with booming motoring! A fabulous job, thank you korver! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

mattb325

This latest entry is stunning. I especially like how well you've captured the ancient scenes  :thumbsup:

noahclem

Awesome updates  &apls &apls

Wish the tram pics used my system ;) I should know better to ask but are the lighthouse from Amsterdam or the tower on top of Gare D'Orsay in the last pic available anywhere?

art128

Noah: the dome on top of the Gare d'Orsay building is the Dome des Invalide by Frogface.

The other building is Amsterdam's montelbaanstoren by TatooedMillionaire.

Props & Texture Catalog

manga rivotra

I have the impression to see real beautiful old postcards.  :o
As always, no detail is missing and everything is done with great taste including photoshoping with these slight cracks as old photos worn by the years.
A feast for the eyes !  &apls &apls &apls

korver

- UPDATE 90: The Andes -

Today, we're taking a trip to South America and visiting one of the world's most impressive mountain ranges - The Andes. Running for over 4,000 miles along the continent's western edge, they're the world's longest mountain range and offer no shortage of incredible sights to keep you in awe.

Our journey to the Andes begins in Ecuador - and after several days of riding through the rugged hillsides, our train finally arrives in the little town of Alausi. Home to one of the world's highest railway stations - this traditional Andean village is quaint yet beautiful.

We'll be catching a plane to La Paz for the next leg of our journey - and not far from the outskirts of the city is the world's highest ski resort, Chacaltaya. The top lift here is some 17,785 feet above sea level - and was one of the most popular attractions in the area for decades as it allowed great winter skiing from November to March. Unfortunately, it's mostly a ghost town now as the local glaciers have all completely retreated - and the only thing that gets the lift going these days are massive snowfalls.

We travel south through the Bolivian Altiplano for our next destination - the blood red waters of Laguna Colorada. The algae and other microorganisms here attract large numbers of James's flamingos, making for quite the sight to watch.

The western border of Bolivia is home to a number of dramatic peaks, such as Nevado Sajama. Towering nearly 8,000 feet above the Altiplano landscape, this 21,463 foot tall peak is one of the Andes' most majestic sights and has been a sacred destination for centuries by the ancient Uru peoples.

We start heading west for the last leg of our journey, crossing through the mountainous hillsides of rural Peru. The locals have cultivated their crops on these steep inclines for centuries - and these small rural farms are quite impressive from up close and afar.

Our last destination is the Andes' most famous Landmark - legendary Machu Picchu. This massive citadel was built at the height of the Incan Empire in approximately 1450 CE and remained a vital site for over a century until it was mysteriously abandoned. Only in the early 1900s was the site rediscovered by archeologist Hiram Bingham and became the world famous destination that it is today.

Replies:

PaPa-J: Thanks for the comment! I usually get the same feeling when I'm working on some of these updates $%Grinno$%

Alan_Waters: Let's just say I'm an extremely efficient person :P Glad you liked it!

art128: Thank you - his work was actually some of the inspiration behind that scene, I remember being amazed by that great Brandenburg Gate scene years ago. Unfortunately none of the pics seem to be working anymore :( Thanks for the ideas too - I have about a million projects I need to finish up though lol so we'll see.. :P

Akallan: Thanks for the nice words! The early 1900s and late 1800s were such a fascinating time in Paris - glad you enjoyed my little showcase of that era. Maybe I'll have to revisit it sometime later on ;)

mattb325: Thank you very much for the comment! Glad you liked the ancient scenes :)

noahclem: Thank you very much for the nice words! I actually tried to use some of your textures in that Brandenburg Gate scene - but I couldn't find any overlays that would line up properly with the other textures I was using so I had to make do with another set.

art128: Thanks for posting the links :thumbsup:

manga rivotra: Thank you very much for the comment! Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

-korver

Akallan

What work! I really like the impression of relief in the image with the fields! It's a wonderful update, you can admire all the images without getting bored! Simply excellent! :popcorn:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

huzman

That's a heck of job! Wonderful, to say the least.
Brought back some wonderful memories and feelings as I spent quite a few years in the Northern part of the Andes. The Nevado Sajama is particulary awesome.
Congrats and thanks.
« Essayez d'apprendre quelque chose sur tout et tout sur quelque chose. »
             « Try to learn something about everything and everything about something »
                          « Trata de aprender algo sobre todo y todo sobre algo »
                                                                                                    — Thomas Henry Huxley

korver

Akallan: Thank you for the nice words! I'm happy you enjoyed the update :)

huzman: Thank you very much for the comment! Glad to hear that my update brought back some good memories :thumbsup:

Seaman

I had to smile a lot when I saw the picture with the flamingos. I just had the thought, that it could be done by modding the ingame gulls which used to fly over the landfills and then hide the landfill under this beautiful texture/landscape. Ridiculous, I know. But it made me smile :).

korver

Thank you for the comment Seaman!

For the flamingo scene I was lucky enough that Xannepan made a great flamingo generator here that made things pretty straight forward - but perhaps I'll have to consider that technique too in the future $%Grinno$%

korver

- UPDATE 91: Scenes From Patagonia -

Our trip through South America continues on today as we return to Patagonia to get a closer look at some of the region's most impressive sights. Few places on Earth can rival Patagonia's natural beauty - the landscapes here are truly magical. We'll begin our journey in the colorful, charming mountain village of El Chaltén to rest and stock up on supplies. Located in close proximity to some of the area's most beautiful scenery, its become one of the most popular destinations in the entire region.

Note: due to compression issues I had to upload this mosaic to Dropbox - if you can't see the link then I also uploaded the more compressed version to imgur as well here.

We head north through Chilean Patagonia and eventually reach Queulat National Park - one of the best places in the region to see glaciers. The park's "hanging glacier" is quite dramatic - it's slowly sliding off the edge of a 3,000 foot cliff and the ice crashes here are truly spectacular.

After spending a few days in the park, we start to head back south, traveling through some of Chile's most scenic rural landscapes. The valleys around Coyhaique are particularly beautiful and are filled with small cattle farms.

For the thrill seeker, there's always plenty to do in Patagonia - such as kayaking down the turbulent waters of Salto Grande.

We'll soon come face to face with another one of Patagonia's impressive mountains - Cordillera Paine. If you can brave the five to six hour hike, you'll be rewarded with one of South America's finest views:

Our journey today concludes with an overview of the majestic Torres del Paine and some of the beautiful surrounding landscape.

-korver