• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatron

Herzlichen Glückwunsch! to your OSITM!
I adore Empire Bay &apls

MTT9

You can call me Matt

RickD

It is a great honor being selected for OSITM in SC4D's birthday month. I have prepared a couple of updates that are hopefully worthy for the occasion. However, due to my playing style and alvailable free time I will stick to my "less frequent updates but tons of pics" scheme.

Assuming that there will be some new readers during this month, I will take the opportunity to highlight some of the important landmarks and historic events in Empire Bay.

Trams

Public transit in Empire Bay is operated by several small private companies.

The Simlantic Traction Company, Broadway Electric and Empire Bay Railway are operating a dense streetcar network.

Broadway Electric's Broadway Line was the first to go in operation.

The network consists of several lines covering the whole island. While most of the tracks belong exclusively to the company that built it, there are some shared tracks along Broadway and in Old Town.

The Simlantic Traction Company operates the old town loop. It was later extended along Empire Avenue to serve the Docklands. It now stretches far out into the western suburbs and currently ends at Woodpecker Pier.

The Broadway Ferry and Lobster Wharf are served by the Old Town Loop.

Filmore Hall at the corner of Broadway and Empire Ave is one of the few buildings that survived the great fire. It was the seat of the regional government until the new town hall (lower right corner of the picture) was built. It is now a museum about the history of Empire Bay.

Dock Road was the first ever street in Empire Bay. Actually it was a dirt track in the beginning. This is the place where the first settlers landed and built a base camp and docks to unload the supply ships.
Here at the intersection of Dock Road and Murphy Street stood Murphys Bar, an infamous sailor joint. It burnt down in the fire and has been replaced by Empire Bay's first fire station, home to EBFD Ladder 1.

Although there are official stops, it is common practice to just hop on and off the slow moving trams.

The stop at Black-Briar Brewery in the Docklands.

The transportation companies do not have many  requirements to fulfill. As long as they pay the licence fee to the city, they can pretty much run their service as they please

The fact that the streetcars are run by three competing companies causes quite some hassle for the riders. They need to buy a new ticket when they change onto another companies service and schedules are not efficiently synchronized.

Besides the streetcars, there are also buses operating throughout the city. There are over two dozen registered bus operators, most of them owning only one or two vehicles.

The EIG (Empire Institute of Geology) has its own stop.

Empire Bay Railway serves the eastern part of town.

The tracks run parallel to the railroad along Railway Avenue.

Then they serve the industrial area and continue well into the southern part of town.

The network is growing rapidly with the expanding city.

Next on Empire Bay:
The King's Road.

Replies:

Swordmaster, Terring7, epicblunder, art128, mikeski, noahclem, WalkerBD1, feyss, Ricky112233, WannGLondon, Jeroentje, TiFlo, io_bg, nbvc, vortext, benedict, sunv123, rooker1, wallasey, Gugu3, sim_link, Flatron, MTT9:
Wow, so many nice comments and so little time to answer.  :(  But I certainly enjoyed reading every single one. With you this will be a great month.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

wallasey

I really loved this update!

Three tram companies ay? That is an interesting concept! I hope the streets of Empire Bay aren't home to Tram Wars where each company competes against each-other on shared sections!

Are any there any extension plans?

Indiana Joe

Fantastic as always.  I love how Empire Bay looks a little more modern with each update; you do a magical job of showing the passing of time.

Swordmaster

Wow, this is getting better by the hour. I'm reserving futher comments here - except to say this is great - because now I'm going to start back from page 1!

Cheers
Willy

PS: Okay, another thing: 30.12 is splendid!

WannGLondon

Awesome! I have never been successful with the use of trams, but it seems like you have perfected it. By the way, Empire Bay is resembling San Francisco very much. Keep up the good work.  ;D
Call me Warren.

wzc123

solsystem

Congratulations for OSITM!  &apls  &apls

Amazing update!  &apls I like your style of city development and of course your railway facilities.

Jeroentje

art128

Nice update over there Raphael! You have a nice tramway network in Empire bay.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sunv123

Your tram network is very nice, and i just love the suburb pic  ;)
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Uzil

Nice work, my favorite picture is the 30.10, I really like this old industrial complex  :)

noahclem

Empire Bay certainly has a great tram system! This update also reminds me how diverse and well-made your waterfront is and of the nice variety of neighborhoods in Empire Bay. Great work  &apls

bat

Congrats on the OSITM-award!!!
And some wonderful images of the trams!!!

WalkerBD1

A new great update....just what the doctor ordered.  Three companies fighting for a foot hold in the city....do I smell trouble.  A take over would be great to see and a common thing to see....well I can't wait to see what happens next.

Walker......

whatevermind

That is one excellent example of how to use GLR, well done!

rambuckel

I just read through your MD ... I watched it once before my "summerbreak" :) I like the story behind it and I really adore the way you put all the traffic facilities together ...

Congrats to this well deserved OSITM!

Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Framly

Great work with the Tram!

as Flatron wrote: Herzlichen Glückwunsch! to your OSITM! :)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:

One of the greatest challenges since the first settlers arrived in Empire Bay is to connect the isolated region in the forbidding and almost unsettled Northern Territories to Simnation's wealthy south. In the way stand the Kinbasket Mountains, deemed unpassable for centuries.

In the beginning the region was only accessible by ship. This meant a dangerous, week long journey on the Simlantic Ocean along the rough west coast with its heavy storms, steep cliffs, and dangerous shallows. Then the railroad was built and brought previously unknown wealth with it. Empire Bay quickly changed from a poor and small mining town to Simnation's fastest growing industrial powerhouse.

The Kingsroad

The Simnation Highway System dates back to the early 1910s when car enthusiastic visionaries, tired of the dirt tracks most roads resembled then, started proposing plans for a nationwide network of paved roads, specifically designed for motor vehicles.

In Empire Bay, plans for a region-wide highway network have been in the drawers since quite a while. Backbone of the network is Simnation Highway 23 from which several regional highways (E Routes) will branch of. Highway 23 is the first road connection between Empire Bay and Simnation.

Draft plan (version 2) of region wide highway network. Numbers of Empire Routes assigned according to construction priority (1 is highest).

It is a tradition in Simnation to give important roads a name besides the number. Highay 23 is called "The Kingsroad". The name refers to the early history of the region. It was a retreat for King Tygard I when he was defeated by rebels and forced to flee his palace. From here he then built a mighty fleet and eventually reconquered his Empire.

We will now follow the highway eastbound through the region, towards Simnation.

SH 23 begins here, near the quarry at East Harbor. It connects to Railroad Avenue which leads into the city center.
Then it passes over the railroad.The trains are climbing up the hill to Pleasant Heights to the bridge connecting Empire Island to the mainland.

The Highway stays near sealevel, following the shoreline. We have some nice views of the Bay while following the curvy road towards the first ferry crossing.

Farpoint Ferry is located at the very northeastern edge of Empire Island.
There are three ferries along the road. They are operated by the Halfton Ferry Company. Instead of collecting tolls, there is a 25% tax on the ticket price to finance the highway construction projects.

Farpoint consists of only a handful of buildings. A souvenir shop, a restaurant, and basic services for the travellers. From here we are leaving Empire Island and crossing over to the main land.

After the short ferry passage, the road continues along the north shore of Poor Man's Leg. The railroad tracks are on the opposite side.
Poor Man's Leg is a geological formation extending from the mainland into the sea which looks like a leg with a foot on the map, hence its name.
This is my first attempt of a multi tile screenshot. I think it is quote good, although the border is still visible.

The highway has been designed to meet the highest safety standards with wide enough lanes for two oncoming cars to safely pass each other, hard shoulders and smooth curves. The harsh weather condititons most of the year can make driving a dangerous experience nonetheless.

We have reached Flatlands Peninsula, where the highway traverses the farmland surrounding the town of Jacksonvale (see Update 7 - Farmland and Forest).

SH23 is now running parallel to Empire & Kinbasket Railroad's mainline.

The farming and railroad town Jacksonvale has benefited from the new highway.

Lots of new businesses are lining SH23, which is also the town's main street.

We have arrived at Finns Ferry. Nothing much to see but the dock and a few houses.

But even here we find some shops along the highway providing the drivers with basic services: gas, guns, and adult entertainment.

The ferry lands at Seagard, a fishing village on Silent Isle.

From here, SH23 crosses the island in north-south direction.

Dukesport is the main town on Silent Isle. Like any settlement along the highway it has benefited greatly from the traffic. Lots of businesses and services for the travelers are lining the Highway as it runs through the town to the dock.

The last ferry passage takes us over Frostlake to Lambert. It was the base camp for the workers building the railroad.

On its way out of the region through the Eastmore River Valley the highway meets the railtracks again, which it parallels for most of the troublesome climb over the Kinbasket Mountains.

Next on Empire Bay:
Simnation Highway 23 is only the first of many new highway construction projects. Also lately a new road design concept, the so called "Freeway", causes a lot of excitement among road engineers. Can it be the solution for the growing traffic problems within the City of Empire Bay?

Replies:

Indiana Joe, Swordmaster, wzc123, solsystem, Jeroentje, art128, sunv123, noahclem, bat, whatevermind, rambuckel:
Thank you all for the comments. I hope you liked this update, too. I thought after concentrating on the city in the last couple of updates it would be nice to see some other places in the region.

Quote from: wallasey on November 03, 2012, 06:38:07 PM
I really loved this update!

Three tram companies ay? That is an interesting concept! I hope the streets of Empire Bay aren't home to Tram Wars where each company competes against each-other on shared sections!

Are any there any extension plans?
Thanks! Yes, there definitely are extension plans. Not only GLR but also El-Rail and Subways.

Quote from: WannGLondon on November 03, 2012, 09:30:27 PM
Awesome! I have never been successful with the use of trams, but it seems like you have perfected it. By the way, Empire Bay is resembling San Francisco very much. Keep up the good work.  ;D
San Francisco, interesting. My main inspiration was the old Los Angeles streetcar network.

Quote from: Uzil on November 04, 2012, 06:07:25 AM
Nice work, my favorite picture is the 30.10, I really like this old industrial complex  :)
Thank you. It is one of my favorites, too. These Bats are just outstanding.

Quote from: WalkerBD1 on November 04, 2012, 03:15:54 PM
A new great update....just what the doctor ordered.  Three companies fighting for a foot hold in the city....do I smell trouble.  A take over would be great to see and a common thing to see....well I can't wait to see what happens next.

Walker......
Thanks for the nice comment. If you want a spoiler of what is going to happen to the streetcar system, you could read the wikipedia entries about the Los Angeles streetcar network.  ;)

Quote from: Framly on November 05, 2012, 01:46:34 PM
Great work with the Tram!

as Flatron wrote: Herzlichen Glückwunsch! to your OSITM! :)
Danke! Thank you.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)