• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

Beautisul scenes !! I like so much this port my friend, also I like the surroundings. Great job as always my friend   :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

solsystem

Fantastic update! The waterfront looks awesome, a very nice combination of several sets for harbour and waterfont areas.

Girafe

I really like the part with the fishing boats  :)

good job  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

eldaldo

Your MD's are always so grand in their scale.  I really like this one.  This update in particular is a great illustration of development!

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
A part of the old waterfront with loading docks and warehouses has been converted to recreational piers after the great fire. The industrial docklands have moved down the shore to the east.

Docklands

The economic boom would not be possible without cargo ships transporting goods in and out of the region. The harbor is the motor for the city's growth and it is expanding fast. Let's take a look at the docklands east of downtown.

Row warehouses and piers dominate the scene.

Here at the fire pier is where we have left off in the last update. Behind it the waterfront transitions from recreational to industrial.

The express freight pier. Perishable goods are unloaded and stored here.

Typical row warehouses for handling bulk cargo.

The area behind the docks is industrial with factories, workshops, and warehouses.

More factories along Empire Avenue.

Here, in the bonded warehouses, goods can be stored without paying customs duties.

The "Long John" is the largest single warehouse building in Empire Bay. It consists of countless smaller units that can be rented by local merchants. A grand variety of goods including tea, coffee, spices, orient rugs, furniture, and clothing are stored here.

The Domino Sugar Factory was one of the first large industries in Empire Bay. With the port and especially since the completion of the railway to Simnation, Empire Bay is an attractive place for factories. Also, there are lots of workers available and wages are low.

A night shot, just for fun.

One of the iconic landmarks in the docklands is the Black-Briar Brewery. It supplys the region with delicious beer specialities: Black-Briar Pilsner, Black-Briar Dark Lager and Black-Briar Old No. 2 (with a secret ingredient).

The coal power plant (see Update 8) has survived the fire. It is running on full capacity to supply the booming town with electricity.

The sewage plant near the landfill.

The landfill (see Update 8) has been expanded as more and more garbage is produced in the region.

Garbage is brought in from other parts of the region by train and ship as well.

Some smaller Piers at the end of the build-up waterfront. Hard to believe that the small street there is actually Empire Avenue. Not so impressive, is it? But let's see what the future brings, when the city grows eastwards into the next tile. ;)

Here you can see the rail line serving the docks. It is crossing Empire Avenue behind the power plant before entering the dock area.

A short spur line reaches out into the industrial area, serving some smaller freight facilities.

It ends at the brewery. Black-Briar beers are available in well-assorted beverage stores throughout Simnation.

Originally the tracks were supposed to connect to the stub line at the E&K Passenger Station. But the right of way could not be cleared.

The freight line would have run right through downtown. It is probably better that the rail line was not completed.

Now it is running around downtown through the suburbs before it branches off to the docks.

Here is a larger overview of the whole area I have shown in the last three updates.

I would like to hear your opinion to improve the quality of this MD.

I am curious to know if you find updates like this, with 20+ pictures, too big. Should I have splitted it up?

And in the last two updates I have been labelling some of the main roads. What do you think? Useful information or distraction in the picture?

Next on Empire Bay:
Bear Island Penitentiary is Simnation's most feared maximum security prison.

Replies:

WannGLondon, sc-4, nbvc, A. Gates, Uzil, noahclem, art128, Piterdaw1, apeguy, Framly, carlfatal, kelis, solsystem, Girafe, eldaldo:
I am very happy about having so many comments. Thank you so much!

Quote from: Alafel on May 29, 2012, 11:29:11 AM
Somebody please explain to me how I didn't find this MD before... anybody? No? Okay...

I love the historical approach to the region. Kind of takes on a life of its own when we get to see it grow from nothing. Though I can't for the life of me see how you have the patience to go into all that detail work when you're about to build right back over it again... ;) Can't wait to see what this spunky little town will build next!

Good to see that they've learned their lesson about fire! We always learn after the disaster, don't we? ;)
Welcome to Empire Bay. Hope you'll come again.  :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

apeguy

Another excellent update, the docks are very well-made, and a very good choice of factories. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the subject of update size, personally I don't think there's nothing wrong with having 20-pic updates, just as long as there isn't too many on one page, because it increases load times for webpages, and some older browsers might not cope so well. (I have IE9 so it's not a problem for me, but some people might be affected) Also the street names are a nice touch, and not distracting at all. :) :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

jgehrts

I don't mind the updates that have a sizable number of images. I think they help keep the story flowing more easily.

BTW, your industrial/seaport areas look fantastic. The factories and such all fit in so well together. It looks very natural.

WannGLondon

First apeguy and now you, Raphael! Starting to love the idea of industrial-themed updates  :D I might just have an industrial themed update next for myself. As always, wonderful images, truly realistic city.
Call me Warren.

nbvc

Fantastic docks and nice collection of warehouses. &apls

Dantes

The port area is very impressive.  :o I like to use the even larger ships dne harbor.  :thumbsup: The center has grown great. The style of buildings looks good.  &apls Where did you get the coal in Picture 3.19 ?
The industrial area is impressive.  :thumbsup:

rooker1

That Industrial Seaport is drop dead georgeous!!
I had to go over the update a few times to get full appreciation!
Awesome work!!
Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Nice work with the seaport. The warehouse area goes very well with the other parts of the city.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Excellent work on the Docklands area  &apls  The shoreline is very well composed and I hope you won't mind if I borrow some ideas when I develop the shoreline of my tile Pohjanmaa  ;D  Bat selection and rail layout is also great.

To answer your questions, I found the labels useful and not a distraction. A 24-picture update is just fine but longer than that is starting to get too long for me.

Tokugawa

Ach ! fantastic Docks !  &apls
See Okatabawashi ! the pearl of the Orient !

vortext

The more pictures, the better  ;D

Labeling roads & sreets is great, in fact I always label everything myself as it adds to realism and I love seeing other folks doing this as well. Speaking about realism; imho you should really make more use of diagonals. Unless you're aiming for a full blown metropole, the city lay-out as it is now, is way too griddy. That said, I do like all the custom lotting going on, keep it up  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

ladybug

:o just amazing, just perfect!
I loved everything, as always.  :thumbsup:

nas-t

Wow - just wow! i love the new docklands... very impressing

Aaron Graham

Lovely work here, you work perfectly. :O
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

MTT9

Thats it Raphael, this is now my favourite MD  ;)
Keep it up!!!
You can call me Matt

eldaldo

I loved it.  I love all the pictures.  I cannot wait to see what comes next!