• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Transistion lot requested for canal texture

Started by NikNik, January 05, 2007, 10:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikNik

Dear all batters,

I use a lot of different ploppable waterways in SC4.
Simgoobers is a popular one

or

but I also use other canals like this one:

You notice the texture of SG canals and the other are different.

Ingame I like to use both in one or another city (SG's has no ocean locker for instance), but they do not fit well together as the transition from one or another type of canal gives a difference in water colour. Now try explaining that to your citizens.

QUESTION:
Can any one make a decent transition lot from one texture to another? For instance a sliding scale in water colouration or something?

I would think this as a great addition to the already great game.

Nik-Nik

FromTheAshes

We could try to create a... let's say 2x4 Lot. We need both textures (we got the lite one allready, just need the dark)... The rest is simply photoshop-work (for the textures) and some BAT-work (the lots)
I'll try to do the photoshop-part, maybe someone else does the BAT-things...
Visit Vorsfelde.

NikNik

That would be great!
It sounds like abracadabra to me, but I know you know what you are talking about.

Hope you succeed!

Nik-Nik

FromTheAshes

That's what I dot right now.. (without wall-texture yet)

Do you think that's ok?
Somebody else must do the LOT... I don't know how to let the walls hang over the LOT, wich is needet to show them correctly in a row..
Visit Vorsfelde.

jplumbley

That looks good!!  I think it would be better if you make a a 1x4 with the wall, and a 1x4 without the wall.  That willl be a little better for the modular part.

Now, I can try to do the lotting for you.  I will figure it out!! :satisfied:
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

Hello to all,

May I suggest a qick render and test in game ?¿, just to see that the textures do fit OK.

FTA, the key for a "piece" lot are the LODs you use to render the model. The lot to host the model will be a simple tile with a texture.

How to make this piece match perfectly with the other pieces ?¿. Quick tutorial:
Once you have finished the main piece and the LODs, simply add one full canal tile on each side of the model. One blue to the left and one green to the right. Make sure they look ok when rendering ( a quick preview is enough) and render the piece. Dont touch the LODs !!! It will work fine if the LODs are smaller that the final model, and will make the piece perfectly fit with any connecting piece.

I think I have a small tutorial somewhere about this.....I´ll check if I can find it.

Oh, and the rural walls I recently uploaded use this technique, and you cant see a single join !!!
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

FromTheAshes

Thanks for this short tutorial, i'll try later...  ;D
I was allways interested in this technique, so a larger tutorial would be helpful too  :thumbsup:
Visit Vorsfelde.

jeronij

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

FromTheAshes

Quote from: jeronij on January 06, 2007, 03:40:09 PM
Your wishes are orders  ;D
Hope this wont be the last time  :P :thumbsup:
Now I'll try to translate it for myself, you know about my english-qualities ;)
Visit Vorsfelde.

NikNik

That looks already very nice, fromtheashes!

Quote from: jplumbley on January 06, 2007, 11:28:40 AM
That looks good!!  I think it would be better if you make a a 1x4 with the wall, and a 1x4 without the wall.  That willl be a little better for the modular part.

Now, I can try to do the lotting for you.  I will figure it out!! :satisfied:

I do agree with jplumbley that once you have got the first onewith the wall another without the wall might be usefull too. But first I leave you to build this one. Great!

Nik-Nik

NikNik

#?¿?¿?$ Any news here  #?¿?¿?$

I noticed the transition lot Colyn made, but that one is for a 1x1 canal pieces whereas this one would connect the PEG and Simgoober lots together giving us the possibility to make 2, 3 or 4 wide canals.

I am eagerily anticipating your progress.  :thumbsup:

Nik-Nik

keithsed

Great request Nik-Nik.  I need to watch this one thread.  I'm also interested in the transition pieces.  It would really make the canals look great.  Is that Oppies canals in the second picture?

Keith

SimGoober

Just found this thread.  In the past, making a transition lot has always been stumped at making a texture that "goes both ways"...Then you also to transition from my Brick lined canals to PEGs natural ones, or his industrial ones... I suppose if I ever got PEGs GMAX file for one of them it wouldn't be impossible to do.  Just never got around to it...

:-\
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

Gaston

Seems to me that there would be a great demand for this lot, or more accurately set of lots.    I suppose it would take the colaboration of PEG, Oppie, and Simgoober (those are the only makers of canals I can think of) to make it happen.  Personnally I'd be happy with a transition lot between PEG's and yours, Simgoober.    I think everyone would want it.  LOL   Everyone I know anyway.   Not being a BATter I suppose it is much easier said than done.    ;)

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09