• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

Sorry to pose a question out of blue, but it's in the to-do-list a RD/OWR/AVE/GLR on slope FLUP portal?
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Tarkus

All FLUPs development is currently on hold.  If/when it is an active project again, if someone is willing to make the models (always the bottleneck in many NAM projects), then it'd be something we'd certainly consider.

-Alex

Tyberius06

Hi!
What is about Buddybud's onslop tunel portals? He used to make rd/owr2/ave portals, and they can be used with NAM flups and subway mode aswell.
Alex, as I remember someone made models for NWM tunels (not onslop), there were pictures about them in the FLUP topic back in 2010, but they've never been released due to some secret in future NAM development.
I'm not inpatient, maybe I will be 60 since than, but eventually we will get those pieces... :popcorn: ;D ;D

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

Buddybud's onslope's were designed to work as Subway conversion lots. They are available on a Japanese site somewhere, although he marked them as a beta/preview, I've had no problems using them.

As for NWM portals, I think you might be confusing them with those that Dexter made for the RHW? Either way as per Tarkus' last post, there is no active development around such things right now.

Tyberius06

Yepp, but they are working fine with flup pieces aswell, just the slope needs to be 10m.

Sadly all the pictures gone from Dexter's development thread (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13715.0, but as the bold title said, there were NWM FLUPs in the cue.
But yepp I'm aware of that there is no development in progess on that side, Alex mentioned couple of times when the topic came up. Thats why I said, maybe in NAM 60. :popcorn:  ;) :D
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

Tarkus

Dexter did indeed create some NWM models, but I happen to have the pack of models he supplied the team, and only the RHW models are in there.  Unless he resurfaces and happens to still have them on his hard drive, they're presumably lost.  IIRC, my attempt at replacing the existing RHW-2 portal with Dexter's required a fair bit of Model Tweaker work, to get things to line up properly.

-Alex

Kitsune

Well he was last active on feb 2nd.... are there plans at some point to have flups under the NWM networks ?

And also, on a completed unrelated note... could the Flexcurves be moved to there own icon like all the other flex stuff ? :)

And Tarkus ... I did send you a PM in march, dont know if you got a chance to see it.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

FLUPs-under-NWM would be something that would be handled by the infamous new implementation.  I don't think anyone wants to go down the puzzle piece rabbit hole again.

The menus (particularly on the RHW side) are kind of a work-in-progress at the moment, due to the fact that we're in that awkward transitional phase, between being fully PP-based and having the FLEX system built up to the desired extent.  It'll be possible to get amazingly compact with the menus once we get to the point of FLEX build-out.

And I did (finally :-[) get back to your PM.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

While we're on the subject of the RHW buttons, would it hurt to move the Deprecated Height Transitions button down a bit? It should be just one variable.

Also, what's this about a new FLUPS implementation?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tyberius06

Oh, one more word about FLUPs. I'm using rivit's latest "beta" RUM for RRW mod, and mgb's SWN (1.0 beta something) and NGN mods, and I choosed the option using concrete texture under the rail flups (as you can see on the attached picture), but there is no other concrete flup piece (or I missed something) on the TAB ring, so when I would like to make a diagonal FLUP under rail, or longer underpass with more tiles, I've got this zig-zag effect due to the different usable textures. Can the NAM Team put this concrete texture (straight, cross, T, and curve routes under the texture) with the other FLUP pieces? I know it's PP and things like that, but in urban areas this would be better, and that would be great if it wouldn't have pedestrian paths on it like on the original (as the picture shows).

Thanks in advance!

- Tyberius

mgb204

The thing is, we can't offer every choice in the NAM installer, this really comes under the realm of third party mods.

Here's a conundrum for you, make a similar setup, but instead of rail, use a road for the diagonal network. See how it all matches perfectly with sidewalks? Now consider that if you change the sidewalks to concrete, that setup would no longer match, even if the rail did?

What I've done is make a override for the 2nd Maxis pedmall type (the pink ones) with concrete. This way the regular sidewalk option will still exist too, allowing you to choose between them. Find that attached, it needs to load after SWN, place it in the same folder as the SWN FLUPs and you should be fine.

As for removing the pathing, the piece is "FLUPs under Pedmall", those paths are necessary if connected to other PedMalls. It won't cause any problems though with setups like you've shown. Including them just saves having to have additional pieces (i.e. it's more efficient).

Tarkus

One of the more daunting tasks I'm currently undertaking is (finally) updating and revamping the NAM documentation.  As you may know if you've followed the saga, the documentation has laid mostly untouched since the NAM 31.x releases (over 4 years ago), in large part because of the sheer difficulty in working with the source files for the new PDF documentation introduced back then.

The new documentation marks a return to the old HTML format that the team used in NAM 30 and earlier, based on Andreas' tried-and-true templates, but with some modern touches on the HTML side (like replacing the old table layout with divs and spans, and using CSS formatting).  Here's the work-in-progress start page:

And here's a peek at some of the things I'm looking to do with the feature guides--this is a table out of the NWM section:

-Alex

b22rian

Alex,

I am highly appreciative of the great amount of time and work I know it takes to update the Doc of this huge mod..
But I absolutely love what you are doing here  :thumbsup:

The orthogonal  transitions chart is a fantastic idea !!!!

eagle74

Alex,
This is looking really good!

Jack_wilds

it all looks very promising...   :thumbsup:

personally I pdf format -as used for my autocad/turbocad...
BUT html and its standards are just as good and better at some things over pdf...

:)

APSMS

@Jack_wilds: We appreciated the pdf format as a very handy way to package the documentation, but the biggest issue with it was trying to edit the files to add or change information.

The pdf files were so large that they would continually crash the editor. Additionally the conversion to HTML will make integrating the documentation onto the wiki much simpler, as in theory almost no converting will need to take place to set up the files. Eventually I understood the plan was to move as much of the documentation online so that referencing it would be much easier and then installation of the official "offline" documentation could be an optional install.

The other advantage of a move to HTML and a wiki-based documentation format is that the files can be edited on the fly (as it were) once new features, techniques, or information becomes available, rather than having to wait for the next NAM release and a very rigorous editing process. Documentation is often one of the hardest parts of software development, and the ability for other NAM team members to take on some of that workload is crucial to helping the community get the most out of the mod.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

eggman121

Quote from: APSMS on August 01, 2017, 10:55:28 PM
The other advantage of a move to HTML and a wiki-based documentation format is that the files can be edited on the fly (as it were) once new features, techniques, or information becomes available, rather than having to wait for the next NAM release and a very rigorous editing process. Documentation is often one of the hardest parts of software development, and the ability for other NAM team members to take on some of that workload is crucial to helping the community get the most out of the mod.

Not to mention that if plain terms are used in the HTML they can be translated into different languages through online tools like google translate.

With such a diverse array of people from different backgrounds and language types it makes sense to make this stuff more accessible to others who don't have the same proficiency of English as others. This is an English speaking site however we should be mindful that quite a few users would prefer to have access to content in there specific language. We as a community really need to knit together if we want to keep the status quo. Just like when we go to say a German or Japanese fansite we usually have to translate them to make sense and navigate.

As the premiere Transport mod the NAM should be aiming to cater for all users independent of there locality and language.

On a side note there have been requests to simplify the use of the RRW Flextrack and FARR. First stage is a quick overview cheat sheet I am working on to cater for the quick reference of the turnout types and patterns. The next NAM will possibly have Flex Pieces that will completely bypass the need to draw patterns and conform to Flextrack standards. Both methods will maintained however  ;)

So this is my opinion on the matter. It has been a long ride to make most of the content Flex and I will continue to work on solutions to ease the use and make the NAM a joy to use.  ;D

-eggman121

matias93

I would be happy to help checking the spanish translations for legibility and errors (you know, Google Translator has become much more intelligent lastly, but still has considerable issues with niche technical jargon). What would be needed would be to fix standard translations for common used terms: f.e. highway = autopista and expressway = autovía.

And about the flextrack learning curve, yes, it is steep, but is also really fun to climb. I've had a great time experimenting with it, maybe only comparable with learning to use the RHW!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Wiimeiser

Is it just me or is it unusually quiet here right now? Would that mean it's all bugfixes now?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Our first alpha build from May was pretty solid, but the problem is that the three main developers of this release have all had pretty significant periods of RL since, which has complicated things in various ways.  That and trying to get the documentation revamp have kept us from getting to a second alpha build.  I suspect that once we can actually get to that second build, and the most brutal part of the documentation is in hand (the RHW documentation is at about 95% now), things will progress again, but until then, we're still in standby mode.

-Alex