• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Bats

Started by vester, August 16, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

Quote from: Krasner on March 24, 2017, 09:30:37 AM
I realize suddenly that your viaduct is surprisingly similar to the Quebec bridge, I guess that it is one of your references or I get completely wrong ? Still amazing, anyway  :popcorn:

If I remember my Canadian History correctly... the Quebec Bridge was partially based off the Forth Bridge, after the initial version collapsed while under construction due to design deficiencies.
~ NAM Team Member

vester

Thank you all for your comments.

Krasner: It do look a lot like it, but I didn't know about the Quebec Bridge before after starting on this project.

Thinking of doing two version of the bridge. One with 3 towers as the Forth Bridge and one with just two towers.
Maybe doing the last one in another color, like the green in the render above.

EDIT: Updated the picture. Had forgotten to turn on some symmetry modifiers.
Use them a lot, save me a quite some work.
:P

art128

I personally would use a green version rather than a red, so i can say it is much welcomed. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kitsune

I suggest having both colors - and have the option of both to fit how however many sections can be fit in a large tile. Although bridge coding is not for the faint of heart.
~ NAM Team Member

Krasner

Great to see that you plan an alternate version ! I have the same opinion tha @kitsune towards that. The color you applied is well chosen to me, this kind of very light blue/green paint seem to be common on bridges  ;) Green or blue steel viaducts are more commonly seen than red ones I think, or maybe I'm just meeting a confirmation bias  :-\ It depends of the region I guess, I remember that viaducts above the seaports and high traffic waterways are usually red to be easily seen from a far by the shipmasters. It's funny anyway to learn that you didn't knew about Quebec bridge, considering how close of it yours is  ;D

@kitsune Thank you ! I read that somewhere as well.
ANARCHIST !!

vester

If you do a picture search for cantilever bridge or eiffel bridge
you will get more red bridges than green/blue.

Saw the Forth Bridge in a video about the new Queensferry bridge, a road bridge that is been build over the same estuary.

FrankU

An impressive bridge in any colour you like.  &apls

But indeed: less saturated colors are more common I think. The greenish/blueish greys tend to put the bridges in the background, because the colors fit to the blueish greys of the sky.
But also in brilliant red it might look very good in game. See the Golden Gate bridge in RL.

mgb204

Alternate colour options are never a bad thing to have. But to model the Forth Rail Bridge and not include a red one, that would be very wrong somehow indeed. Being as the actual bridge is red and all.

vester

A red color version is going to be done, PERIOD. As Robin said: The forth Bridge is red.

Been working under elements under the bridge:

and a picture from above:

Kitsune

that is looking fantastic !
~ NAM Team Member

vester

TY Kitsune.

Been working on getting the polycount down,
reworking the fence in the railing, the railing
and the box girder in the approach bridges.
Got it down from 3.2 millions triangles to 2.5 millions.

dyoungyn

Now that looks realistic and AWESOME :bnn:

feyss

We're spoiled those days with all those amazing railway stuff $%Grinno$%

I can't wait to try it  :D

carlfatal

Gugu3

FrankU

Beautiful Vester! In any color you like.  ::)

noahclem

Stunning project  &apls  Couldn't imagine a bridge that would be nicer to get into the game and I've thought so for years. Your work certainly seems to be doing it justice  :thumbsup:

vester

Thank you all for your comments.

Still a long way to go.

Finished off the element on the side under the main span:

EDIT: I couldn't have done this work, or least not this quick, without a special plug-in to max.
Its called FrameIt from IllusionCatalyst. I use it to rotate the viewing angle to follow the normal (perpendicular to) to a face.

c.p.

Nice detail work on this bridge :thumbsup:

Akallan

My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1