• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzil

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments:

Uzil: Nice pictures really 

Quote from: packersfan on September 17, 2012, 03:02:42 AM
Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

Just amazing work

Thank you very much.  I reiterate again how the street map started off as a personal project for my eyes only, so I would know which streets were where.  Then I stumbled upon the path tool in GIMP and I realized I could make a google-style map instead of just overlaying names on the in-game traffic data map.  Sometimes I wish I had made the map zoomed in further, so I could add many more details, but most of the time I think it is just about right.  Always learning new techniques, remembering to save the GIMP file so next time I edit I don't have to work from scratch...urgh, I've done that a few times.  Really hope you enjoy it!

Update 69 - BAYVIEW: Industry and Suburbia
We shoot back up north a little to Bayview for this update.  I really went all out "completing" this area.  I hope you enjoy it.

Let's just jump right in with a big mosaic!

That large trainyard you've all see on the map.

Standard grid on "The Neck".  See map!

An attempt at a beach.  I originally plopped beach lots but those just didn't look good from the satellite view.  So, I instead used MMP sand.  My biggest issue is blending plop grass and beaches.  Any tips???

More suburban style street layout and lots of trees!

Here is something fun I found!  An old barn between two three-story lofts!  What a cool, unintended, occurence!

I really feel a sense of accomplishment actually getting everything in this area done...waterfront done!  Any tips on beaches and waterfront areas are greatly appreciated!  Hope you really enjoyed this more "suburban?" update.

art128

Wow, incredible update and very good map.

You have a beautiful way of breaking the standard grid with your zig-zaging diagonals. The suburbs is perfect. The giant bean shaped rail yard you made gave me a headache just looking at it.  $%Grinno$%

But seriously, waow. The first mosaic is just breaking-giant-eye-swaping-fantastically-wonderfully-stunningly awesome.  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

nas-t

seriously???
i don't know what to say, it's breath taking!  &apls

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Great update  &apls  Your shorelines look quite good as they are but I could share a couple ideas since you're asking. As far as grass-to-beach transitions I often hide mine with trees--not sure if it's the best way but seems to work well for me. The beach MMPs you're using are good ones but to add more life and variety you could mix them with Namspopof's last beach MMP release which includes lots of umbrellas and beach people, among other things.

Nice suburbs and map is still amazing  :thumbsup:

packersfan

noahclem: Great update    Your shorelines look quite good as they are but I could share a couple ideas since you're asking. As far as grass-to-beach transitions I often hide mine with trees--not sure if it's the best way but seems to work well for me. The beach MMPs you're using are good ones but to add more life and variety you could mix them with Namspopof's last beach MMP release which includes lots of umbrellas and beach people, among other things.

Nice suburbs and map is still amazing

Thanks...yeah, I hide a lot with trees, ha.  Where can I find Namspopof's last beach MMP release?  Linkie?

RickD:
Wow!   Great detailing of this huge area.

Thank you, finally finished it.  Always nice to present a "finished" area.

nas-t:
seriously???
i don't know what to say, it's breath taking!

Seriously.  It's not THAT good, ha.

art128:
Wow, incredible update and very good map.

You have a beautiful way of breaking the standard grid with your zig-zaging diagonals. The suburbs is perfect. The giant bean shaped rail yard you made gave me a headache just looking at it. 

But seriously, waow. The first mosaic is just breaking-giant-eye-swaping-fantastically-wonderfully-stunningly awesome.

Thank you much.  It is a lot to keep track of and sometimes I get frustrated, ha.

Update 70 - PENELOPE POINT: Point University
The Village of Penelope Point is a bedroom community between South Martin and Bayview on the Penelope River.  The farmland is all gone and replaced by suburban houses.

William B. Toombs Bridge (I-255, N-41) and Penelope Point Bridge (N-20).

Penelope Point and Point University

Hornet Stadium - home of Division III Point University Hornets football.

I probably could have included more pictures, o well.  I'm glad Penelope Point is finally complete.  Hope you enjoyed some more suburbs.

packersfan

Update 71 - PENELOPE POINT: Riverside Suburb
More images from the Village of Penelope Point along the Penelope River.

I-255, I think I might work on I-255 the rest of the week...figuring out how to work it through Downtown Martin.

South Villanova Circle.

I had one more mosaic that I created for this area, but it technically falls in the category of South Martin and Martin, so I decided to save it for a future update.  Not sure where I will go for the next update - North to Commonwealth Field or West towards Cedarwood Creek Parkway.  I'm just really excited right now about filling in these gaps in my city...and I keep seeing all the empty waste on the north side of Martin that needs to be developed.  Always stuff to do!

Swordmaster

Cool city and cool map, as always. Maybe a diagonal bridge for the I-255?

Cheers
Willy

MTT9

Awesome map!!! (speaking of karrma points, maybe someone can give 1 to packersfan) Is there any way to zoom out and see it as a whole?

k-point taken care of  :thumbsup:
You can call me Matt

noahclem

Great updates again  &apls  I should be able to find that beach MMP link for you when I get off work.

packersfan

noahclem: Great updates again    I should be able to find that beach MMP link for you when I get off work.

Thanks.  Yeah, I like MMPs that work!

MTT9:
Awesome map!!! (speaking of karrma points, maybe someone can give 1 to packersfan) Is there any way to zoom out and see it as a whole?

k-point taken care of

I zoom out on the map often.  Just zoom out in your browser.

Swordmaster:
Cool city and cool map, as always. Maybe a diagonal bridge for the I-255?

Cheers
Willy

That is the plan for I-255...but maybe it won't happen...I can't seem to open my original downtown tile without it crashing.

Update 72 - Cedarwood Creek Parkway
Today we continue back west across South 24th Street into Martin and Cedarwood Neighborhood along Cedarwood Creek.

A few high-rises near Cedarwood Creek.

A sneak peak at next week's update.  Moving south of the railroad tracks toward the South Martin Army Recruitment Center.

You are here!  Thanks to Benedict for the suggestion to post a section of the map so you don't have to peruse the entire thing every update.

Hope you enjoyed this update.  I'm working on getting back into playing Sim City.  You'll also notice that I haven't included the rail...forgot to really...I'll get around to fixing that eventually.

jmyers2043

Quote from: packersfan on October 15, 2012, 03:22:51 AM
Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.[/size]

Wow, that is some map. Every street has a name too. I like this diary - one of my favorites.  :thumbsup:

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Swordmaster

That's some region view! And an excellent update, too.

Cheers
Willy

packersfan

Swordmaster That's some region view! And an excellent update, too.

Cheers
Willy

Thanks.  That is just a tiny portion of the region, too!

jmyers2043:
Wow, that is some map. Every street has a name too. I like this diary - one of my favorites. 

- Jim

Of course!  What is the point of making a map and not naming all the streets, haha.  Glad to be a favorite!

Update 73 - Cedarwood Industries
We move south of Wisconsin Avenue (the last picture from the last update shows us our direction).  West South Avenue runs through what is known as Cedarwood Industries.  An earlier update featured some of this area.  Here is some more!

We saw this workshop in the last update!

South Martin Army Recruitment Center.  Despite its name it is not located IN South Martin.

West Grange Avenue, I-80/I-55, Red Line 1 of the WTAM, and warehouses between South 40th Street and the freeway.

This update didn't really cover a huge area, but I wanted to show off some more industries that I used to fill in this tile.

You are here!  Yeah, it is the same exact map picture from last time.  Nothing from the update was really outside the scope this map section.

Another update in the books.  Hope you liked my industrial areas.

packersfan

nas-t: stunning update!

Thank you.  Here is another one!

Update 74 - Northeast: Carnegie, Honey Creek, Chester Lake
We move to northeast Martin today.  The grid is nearly non-existant up here as the streets mimic the path of a nearby railroad.  Just across the North Lakefront Drive to the east is Northeastern Martin University (not pictured in this update).  The map for this area is not 100% complete.

Fireworks explode over Chester Lake and Lincoln Terraces.

Teaser shot of next time...or maybe Update 76 depending on if I decide to make Update 75 a special update!  If you have any suggestions for making the 75th special let me know.

You are here.

Update 75 is up next.  I haven't decided if it will be a special update...I mean 75 is one of those "milestone" numbers, but I didn't do anything special for the 25th update, so I'm not sure if I will do anything for this one.

I'm sure you noticed that the map doesn't yet reflect the bottom part of the first mosaic!

I haven't played much SimCity these last few weeks.  Lethargy, relationship drama, school prep, and learning Chinese have kept me occupied and out of SimCity, but I will have to get back into actual gameplay to develop more areas to showcase.  Northeastern Martin University is a top priority.

Check out the [a href="http://mjwenzel.netne.net/streetmap.html">District of Wenzel Street Map</a> to get an idea where we are.

RickD

I liked the latest updates. Good idea with the excerpt from the map and your detailing skills are improving with every update.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

eldaldo

I really love how massive your region is.  I think your region shots are excellent!  they look very realistic. 

packersfan

eldaldo: I really love how massive your region is.  I think your region shots are excellent!  they look very realistic.

Thank you, that's what I'm going for, though I am trying to get better at the little details, too.

RickD:
I liked the latest updates. Good idea with the excerpt from the map and your detailing skills are improving with every update.

Thanks.  Benedict suggested that I include an excerpt of the map with each update over on Simtropolis.

Update 75 - Northeastern Martin University: Athletic Facilities
Today we will check out an even bigger university!  Northeastern Martin University...I don't have any stats or anything, but it seems like a decent sized school.  I took so many pictures that I have decided to break this showcase into two updates.  Today we will focus on the southern-most end of campus where the athletic facilites for the Division 1 NEU Wildcats are located.

Above: We start at Chester Lake Park and work our way down past Chancellors Cemetery, parking for Braatz Arena and Addison Field, cross over North Lakefront Drive between Braatz Arena and Northeastern Soccer - Football Pitch, Mitchell Hall and more residence halls for NEU students, before ending up in Sapphire Lake.

Northeastern Martin University Wildcats logo.

East Lanswell Terrace bridge across Chester Lake, some recreation fields for general use by NEU students, Addison Field - home of the Division 1 NEU Wildcats football team, Braatz Arena - home of the Division 1 NEU Wildcats basketball and hockey teams, tennis courts, and down past North Lakefront Drive and Mitchell residence halls.

Honey Creek Golf Course.  NEU's golf team spends considerable time on the course practicing, though the course is open to the general public.

Northeastern Football - Soccer Pitch - home of the Division 1 NEU Wildcats soccer team.

You are here.

Hope you enjoyed this update.  I had over 40 pictures prepared for this update but didn't want to use them all at once.  The hardest part was splitting up the pictures into two updates and not expose the academic part of the university in this update.  As I put together this update I just noticed the NEU track and field team is going to have a hard time without any facilities!  Maybe the future holds a new multipurpose football/track stadium or another solution.  The NEU Division 1 Wildcats baseball team actually shares a stadium with Bayside High School two miles north of our current position on East Virigina Road and North Lakefront Drive.