• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BUG: massive performance/animation slowdown with OWR-4

Started by Wilfried, June 07, 2012, 10:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilfried

Hey guys,

So, I haven't been using the NWM OWR until very recently, but now that I've build my first stretch of OWR-4 (dual carriageway, so it's 8 lanes altogether) I noticed a MASSIVE slowdown of the animation when focusing the display on that stretch of road. It occurs at all zoom stages, resulting in some 0.5 to 1 fps!

I could successfully reproduce that bug. It seems to be an OWR-4-only bug. It is not a graphics driver or plugin issue whatsoever. It also does not occur with other 4-/8-lane networks.

When I change the 8-lane stretch to a central avenue with two parallel running Maxis OWRs (still 8 lanes and same volume of traffic), the animation becomes normal again (50 fps or so). I also changed that stretch of road for dual OWR-3 + parallel OWR-2s, and dual OWR-5, and the slowdown didn't occur: the animation was normal, with no issues.

Then, after rebuilding the dual OWR-4, the animation again became very slow.

Perhaps someone already has observed the same.

It'd be great to see an explanation of this, and a bugfix, of course. ;)

Wilfried

Blue Lightning

I have reproduced the issue on my end. It appears to be an issue with automata and paths - turning off automata makes the lag vanish.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Wilfried

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 07, 2012, 10:07:49 AM
I have reproduced the issue on my end. It appears to be an issue with automata and paths - turning off automata makes the lag vanish.
Now this was really helpful. :D

Well, I too believe that this is a pathing issue, but I won't turn off the automata for that reason. I expect solutions, improvements, not excuses. :D

Blue Lightning

Yeah, I know :-[ Just a temporary solution until we figure out what's wrong, these things take time ;)

EDIT: Looking at the paths there seem to be things missing and some things duplicated, and possibly making infinite or "near infinite" loops that slows down automata pathfinding.

Path IDs 0 - outer lanes and crossovers (issue #1 - broken crossovers)

Path IDs 1 - Inner lanes

Path IDs 2 - Outer lanes (issue #2 - duplicate paths (id 0 has the outer lanes as well))

Path IDs 3 - Inner lanes (issue #3 - duplicate paths (id 1 has the inner lanes))

Path IDs determined by using drawpaths #
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Wilfried

Haha, thanks BL, it's great to see you've had a look into this already, and could come up with an explanation.

Thumbs up. ;)

Blue Lightning

I've made a patch and it should be out on the NWM thread soon.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Wilfried