• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

woodb3kmaster

Looks like the Type A1 Inside Dual ramp is getting some TLC - not to mention FLEXification and expansion to new networks. Fantastic work so far, Alex, and I look forward to seeing more soon!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

Thanks, Matias, Zack, AsimPika, and everyone for the support!

Still doing some cosmetic work on this one with the overhangs (and trying to figure out how the color-correction somehow ended up being comically terrible), but yet another one of the last remaining "holdout" puzzle ramps has entered the FLEX repertoire.  This one's built just using the already extant Type E2 FLEXRamp, plugging the shoulder end of the RHW-10S into the ramp.

The D2 is also nearing completion . . . more on that soon.

-Alex

Tarkus

And . . . as promised . . .

(still need to make one minor tweak with the branch)

And here's the color correction corrected on the E2.

Not counting the FA ramps (Types C and F), there's just three to go.

-Alex

APSMS

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

noahclem

Great work Alex  &apls  So nice to see activity humming along here! I'm excited for possibility of some connections being made possible again and quite intrigued by your comment on Memo's unfinished work and "crazy stuff on the horizon" sounds tantalizing indeed  :bnn:

Tarkus

Thanks, Noah, APSMS, and everyone for the kind words and support!

And in the words of Freddie Mercury, "another one bites the dust" . . .

There's now just two left.  And because we're in FLEX territory now, this antepenultimate ramp is quickly gaining some friends.

Quote from: noahclem on May 15, 2018, 08:49:28 AM
quite intrigued by your comment on Memo's unfinished work and "crazy stuff on the horizon" sounds tantalizing indeed  :bnn:

Here's a look into the "crazy":

Can't make any guarantees yet, mainly because "Project Crazy Stuff" (which is in fact the mythical Project 57 Mark IV) really pushes the envelope, particularly in the realm of adjacency stability.  Just need to make sure it doesn't end up like this envelope:

https://youtube.com/v/J-zConMzGHo

-Alex

AsimPika3172

That was I called a real real real REAL HIGHWAY in the world!!!!  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Gugu3

mattb325

the coding alone would send me crazy/crazier  ?=mad)=

matias93

Those are seriously amazing levels of stability!!! This NAM version has taken more than the previous ones, but certainly the wait is more worthy each day  &apls &apls &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,

Tarkus

Thanks, AsimPika, Gugu, Matt, Matias, and everyone for the kind words and support! :thumbsup:

Quote from: mattb325 on May 16, 2018, 04:02:04 PM
the coding alone would send me crazy/crazier  ?=mad)=

Part of it was handled by memo's MetaRUL scripting system, which was used for the current FLEXFly RUL2 code.  He had been working on an expansion to cover other areas of the RHW, which ended up being partially salvageable--mostly with its handling of RHW x RHW crossings, and especially those that involved diagonals.

The form that it was left in wasn't as strong with the RHW x Everything Else situations.  I'm not adept with Scala (the language memo used for the MetaRUL scripts), but I am quite adept with raw RUL2, so I've been doing a manual re-write of those other situations, using a different structure (by individual network tile types rather than by individual networks) in order to organize things.  This has so far worked out quite well--and the way I've designed it is very RegEx-friendly, meaning the efficiency borders on scripting anyway. 

In the long run, I'm going to have to figure out just which adjacency situations people are unlikely to be used, and cut those to keep the controller size manageable.  Right now, with all the adjacencies, the average individual piece runs about 25,000-28,000 lines to cover all networks, with the base orthogonal file running 62,439 lines, and the base diagonal file at 72,138 lines.  The chunk of RHW x RHW code from MetaRUL sits at 425,000 lines total, plus some additional by-product code (which I rigged up for certain adjacency situations, in which one of the tiles is an RHW x RHW crossing, or part thereof).

Quote from: matias93 on May 16, 2018, 06:02:02 PM
This NAM version has taken more than the previous ones, but certainly the wait is more worthy each day  &apls &apls &apls

NAM 36 came out mid-September, so we're sitting at 8 months presently.  The "modern era" average (since NAM 20) has been 8 months.

The record wait is 22 months, which was the gap between NAM 32 and 33 (January 14, 2014 to November 26, 2015).  Second place was the NAM 30 to 31 gap (18 months, which also saw 2012 go by without a release), and in third, the NAM 20 to 21 gap (15 months).  Shortest wait was NAM 7 in July 2004, which superseded NAM 6 after all of four days.

The NAM 37 cycle has meandered quite a bit, due to the impact of RL on our small development team (which did recently grow by one, thanks to Kitsune), and the fact that a few of us have drifted between different projects, though that's kind of normal.  RL's going to hit me in the next month (and it'll be a sustained hit, for at least a month), so it's almost a given that we're looking at a longer than average cycle, though I'm hoping to get enough done before then that testing on the really crazy RHW stuff can get underway.

On another note, there's just one to go now, after I managed to FLEX this beast after work.

Still needs chevrons, but it'll also be gaining some friends as a by-product, too.  The last remaining non-FA puzzle ramp is the RHW-8S counterpart of the above D1 Shift Dual setup, which has a different enough footprint that it appears it'll require another FLEX piece to cover.  Fortunately, that one shouldn't be too hard to do in the grand scheme of things.

-Alex

Tarkus

RIP useful life of non-Fractional Angle static puzzle piece-based RHW ramp interfaces (2008-2018).

The RHW-8S Type D1 Dual Shift has now gotten the FLEX treatment:

I'm also using the FLEXification as means to easily play around with some related designs as well . . . here's a symmetrical variant of the RHW-6C version, which wasn't possible before with the old puzzle pieces.

Also, before I go, a little more of a peek at the crazy stuff. This one still requires an occasional bit of clicking around, due to the complexity, but wasn't even close to being possible with the existing RHW codebase that's still in place for NAM 36.

-Alex

bladeberkman

I am sooooooooooooooo excited about this. Like, for real.  :popcorn:
Love the symmetrical transition option, too. That'll be super-useful.

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on May 18, 2018, 02:11:10 AM
Also, before I go, a little more of a peek at the crazy stuff. This one still requires an occasional bit of clicking around, due to the complexity, but wasn't even close to being possible with the existing RHW codebase that's still in place for NAM 36.

go home Tarkus, you're drunk! $%Grinno$%

matias93

Quote from: Tarkus on May 18, 2018, 02:11:10 AM

This. I need this. Even better if it becomes available on a further version of the REW. Huge avenues are made of this kinds of things.

Impressive work with all of this advances, no less than herculean!

Tarkus

Thanks, bladeberkman, Seaman, Matias, and everyone for the kind words and feedback!  I wasn't sure just how popular the symmetrical option would be, given the relative obscurity of the D1 Dual Shift ramps, but I'm very glad to see it's been well-received.  I've already given the new RHW-8S Type D1 Dual Shift the same treatment:

And of course, since this is all FLEX stuff now, other fun things can happen.

It is, of course, possible to have one side remain RHW-8S/6C and only override one side, too.  I've been in such a ramp-making mood of late that I've begun looking at some other related possibilities as well--more on that soon.

And in other news, work on support for ramps branching from diagonal mainlines has also been ongoing as well.  The hope in the near term is to cover all ground-level networks at the least for this setup:

Hope you enjoy.

-Alex

AsimPika3172

We want more! We want more! We want more! We want more! We want more! We want more!  &apls &apls &apls

:bnn:

Akallan

My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1