• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

Wow, I can't believe how realistic this looks! That top down view looks like right out of google earth. :o
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

peter007

WoW great work I like that picture where you see the top of the region  ()stsfd()

Gringamuyloca

Quote from: RickD on October 25, 2010, 04:00:09 AM
Wow, I can't believe how realistic this looks! That top down view looks like right out of google earth. :o

.... took the words right off my keyboard!!!  :o  &apls  :thumbsup:

absolutely amazing scale.... would you mind sharing the 'average' dimensions of your farm fields? It appears you have it 'right!!!

wow... $%Grinno$%
Tamara

vortext

couldn't agree more with above posts. I think your farmlands are just about perfect in size. And do you mind sharing how you did that amazing topdown view? keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments
marsh: Why are you posting here? Haha.  I know the top view turned out amazing and has eased my qualms about it not looking good.  I guess the in-game view doesn't do it justice.  Better zoomed out and overhead.

RickD: Thanks, I really tried for realism.  I always see cities with an incredible top view like that (Mr. Beer has a bunch of them over at ST) and I always wanted a good one for myself.  Finally did it!

peter007: Yeah, that picture is probably the best :)

Gringamuyloca: My farms are American sized plots, so 1/2 mile X 1/2 mile.  So four square farms between roads every mile.  So my common method now is to lay down 49 x 49 tile farms then lay fences in between (2 tiles wide) and then another 49 x 49 tile farm and then street.  Thus my farms are 50x50 (1/2 mile x 1/2 mile).  I often split the 1/2 mile farms into two or three fields run by the same farm.  My townships are 6 miles X 6 miles (36 square miles) like in America.

vortext: I will include an explanation of how I did my topdown view.  I use GIMP so it is a little different than how the guy I asked did his with Photoshop.  I kind of experimented and it turned out decent, so I'll try to take some pictures of the process.

mightygoose

man this is some super work, it is good to see a CJ/MD from you. the farms look truly excellent in nature, most bodacious.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Tomas Neto

Very nice rural area!!! Great work!!!

kalvar

If I thought my agricultural region, not to say this, has more farms than mine.
I love the countryside, so I like this region, is that rural feel that little is seen in simcity md. :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls &apls

packersfan

Update 07 - Eastern Edges of Jersey and Sullivan Townships
Moving south of Brittany River we will pass over the eastern edges of the townships of Jersey and Sullivan.

SULLIVAN TOWNSHIP

JERSEY TOWNSHIP

If all the map pictures don't load it will be screwed up.  Lame.  What do you think?

nbvc

The map looks great. It could be a real map. :thumbsup:

kwakelaar

Nice work and excellent regionview, farmlands are looking great. The way you are changing from day to night-view is a good idea to spice up your presentation.

kalvar

your region is agricultural monsters, is very nice.

I like rural zone. Good Job.

packersfan

Update 08 - Southern Charlotte Township
Back to the north end of the region, we travel through the southern third of Charlotte Township.  The southwestern section of the township is very hilly with small farms along winding roads.  The southeastern section of the township is filled with standard grid farms.  The eastern edge of Charlotte township is occupied by the Basil Inlet, upon which the small town of Sussex is located.

Wenzel District Street Map

CHARLOTTE TOWNSHIP

Check out the link to a full region map, please note that it is not completely done yet, but refer to it as much as possible so I don't have to label every street in every picture.

marsh

Awesome. I love the rural areas here. Also that road map looks great!

,marsh  :thumbsup:

Shilka

That regional shot just blew me away.
Excuse me while I go find my jaw, it dropped around here somewhere....

Jayster

Very nice MD you have here! Keep it up!!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

kodlovag

What a fantastic region view. Very realistic.  &apls
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

kalvar

very nice your valley. is fantastic and very realistic.

packersfan

Ugh, I tried updating, but only a few of my pictures would load, so imageshack must have lost all my pictures I had uploaded the last couple days and imageshack won't let me do anything right now.  I tried to put images on my host for my map but they won't load in the forum either :(

packersfan

Update 09 - Portland Township Travelling on D67, D42, and D31
Here is my first stab at roadgeekery in this MD.  I've done a few drive-thrus like this before in my Cambellsport, Rabourn, and Sessquenna regions, but in the District of Wenzel I will try to go really in depth with signs (down to speed limits, loose gravel, etc.)  I credit dfnva's roadgeekery style.

Just a note on these first few updates, especially this one.  As you'll see in this update, the signs are NOT uniform since I pretty much experimented on each picture, until I found this great site with all the U.S. standard highway signage that I can use as templates (only one picture of this update reflects that discovery though.  To explain the non-uniformity in SimCity world, it is like real life how early highway signage did not have uniformity.  Even when I do get some uniformity it will still leave room for improvement to current standards.  I've already started work on the next update, and I like what I'm seeing and I hope you do.

On this update we will explore Portland Township, not as exhaustively as we did the previous townships, though there are more pictures (something I will try to cut down on next update because many of them are boring I think).  I suggest opening in another tab/window the region map of the District of Wenzel, so you can see where exactly we are travelling.

District of Wenzel Street Map

We start our tour at Wilderness Tavern in the Township of Charlotte.  We will travel south on D67 - Jade Plank Road.

After a few miles of farms we reach the junction with D42 - Fremont Rd.  We will turn left and travel east on D42 towards Martin.

Eleven miles to Martin.

We must turn right at Anna Rd to continue following D42 south for 1/2 mile.

We must turn left again to follow D42.  If we continue straight south we can follow D230 to Fairchild and Lexington, two very small hamlets.  Traffic travelling north on D230 must yield to D42 traffic.

The last sign picture I made where I finally found some standard sign pieces :)

About 100 people live in Kinsman, but the town has not yet been incorporated as a village or city.

As the sun goes down we reach the small city of Anchor, the crossroads of D42 and D31.  If we continue east on D42 we will pass through the towns of Henne Park and Rutland before passing just to the north of Martin.  However, we will turn south on D31.

South D31 will take us through the Village of Hohler and then the cities of Hawthorne and St. Paul.

Once again we approach D230.  If we turn right (West D230) we can travel through Lexington and Fairchild back to D42.  If we turn left (East D230) we can travel towards Martin.  D230 redirects south at Trinity Rd, but if we continue straight the road becomes North Ave.  We will continue straight on South D31 into Brittany Township.

We will continue south on D31 into Brittany Township and maybe take D140 west and then D67 into Hawthorne Township, but mostly farms, haha.