• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

No airport usage

Started by IRW13, November 26, 2008, 05:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IRW13

I destroyed the maxis airport in my large city to start working on a custom one in its own area.  Each city has an airport shuttle and road/rail connections to the airport, but there is no usage.  It's connected to the road properly b/c there are workers.  What could I be missing here?  Thanks.

While I'm at it, where can I find airport fencing?

Here's a pic to show the region layout.  The arrow's on the airport (with some surrounding farms)

bob56

i have the same problem. This also periodically happens with the Maxis airports...
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Voltaire

The simulator only handles airport demand/usage/efficency one city at a time. Unlike commercial demand, for example, the game will not carry passenger usage from one city to another. The airport "shuttles" are functioning as the airport for their city, and your new one is limited to serving its host city as well.

I made a few bits of green-painted chainlink fence, released in RMIP-2 SAE vol.2 -- beyond that maybe you could try the SNM army sets, they have some high-security fences

______   F  L  Y    A  C    J  E  T  S   ______
The finest SimCity Aviation LOTs BATs and MODs

IRW13

Aww, bummer.  That's going to make it hard to have a high cap custom airport and enough room left over to hold sims that will make use of it.

Thanks for the fences, I'll try dig them up.

imperialmog

I was just wanting a clarification of the isssue so what I am getting is that the airport will only count one city's capacity and not combine several at a time?

RippleJet

Quote from: imperialmog on May 26, 2009, 03:39:58 PM
I was just wanting a clarification of the isssue so what I am getting is that the airport will only count one city's capacity and not combine several at a time?

Yes, exactly like that!

A region-wide airport is something you would build only for the look of things.
It won't provide any capacity to its neighbouring cities.
That capacity would have to be brought in by e.g. airport shuttles.

joelyboy911

I have had a sort of idea relating to this, though I can't say for sure if its totally original. Would it be feasible to have a GlR, Rail, or Monorail/HSR station, that gave the effects of the airport, whilst also generating train automata to give the look/feel of a dedicated, regional, airport transit link? It could also be seen as an alternative to an Airport, ie. people get on a train when they go on holiday (vacation, to our American comrades) or a business trip. I could see about whipping up (euphemistically speaking) a BAT for this, upon completion of some of my other projects. A matching hub for use in the airport would also be needed. There could be different "capacities" of commercial CAP relief, so to balance the cities populations. Another idea I had, similar to this was to try modding some Airport Freight style lots, which would function in a similar way to seaports, and could fit in, in a landlocked industrial city.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

RippleJet

Quote from: joelyboy911 on May 26, 2009, 09:19:21 PM
Would it be feasible to have a GlR, Rail, or Monorail/HSR station, that gave the effects of the airport, whilst also generating train automata to give the look/feel of a dedicated, regional, airport transit link? It could also be seen as an alternative to an Airport, ie. people get on a train when they go on holiday (vacation, to our American comrades) or a business trip.

There are already no less than four airport shuttle services available in AC Functional Airports:

BLS City and Airport Bus Stop    Lot Size 1×1   
6 Growth Stages
    Maximum Capacity:  5200
BLS Roth Air and City BusLot Size 2×2
5 Growth Stages
    Maximum Capacity: 11800
BLS Airport ShuttleLot Size 5×6
15 Growth Stages
    Maximum Capacity: 70200
Airport Tram CenterLot Size 6×8
1 Growth Stage 
    Maximum Capacity: 47000

The first two ones also function as normal bus stop within the city, and thus spawn lots of buses. :)

Quote from: joelyboy911 on May 26, 2009, 09:19:21 PM
A matching hub for use in the airport would also be needed. There could be different "capacities" of commercial CAP relief, so to balance the cities populations. Another idea I had, similar to this was to try modding some Airport Freight style lots, which would function in a similar way to seaports, and could fit in, in a landlocked industrial city.

Included in BSC Functional Seaports there are also three functional cargo ports, which are not seaports:

Cargo Handling FacilityLot Size 10×10   
8 Growth Stages
    Maximum Capacity: 1820
Airport Cargo Handling Center    Lot Size 13×10
6 Growth Stages
    Maximum Capacity: 2260
Package Loading CenterLot Size 20×6
1 Growth Stage 
    Maximum Capacity: 1560

Finally, if SCAG, or someone else wants to make functional ports, you're invited to do so!
Due to the importance of not having conflicting port controllers, they would have to be included in the same package though.
Thus, any additional ports would be included in the next upgrade to these existing ones. ;)

joelyboy911

Well, I was just throwing an idea out there. Another option would be the sort of blank lot type, 1x1 that gives a capacity, whilst other modular lots are built around. Is there a tutorial about getting lots to provide airport-like effects, namely the effects on Commercial development. I think that similar items are most definitely on my list, but as trams have been done, I would like to focus on HSR/GHSR/Monorail/Heavy rail. I don't know if these require the aforementioned "port controllers", but if they do I think that it would have to be a longer term project, as I feel this overcomes my present abilities. 
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

RippleJet

Next update of the AC Functional Airports will include empty functional airports of different sizes (starting with 1×1), that anybody can finish in LotEditor to create personal airports (similarly to those empty custom seaports that were included in BSC Functional Seaports 2.0). :)

Quote from: joelyboy911 on May 27, 2009, 01:23:40 AM
as trams have been done

Despite it's name, there are actually no trams involved in the Airport Tram Center, which is a rather old one created by Joerg (long before the forming of AC and also long before its predecessor SWAP).

Quote from: joelyboy911 on May 27, 2009, 01:23:40 AM
I don't know if these require the aforementioned "port controllers"

If you want them to be "functional", in a way that its capacity is related to the commercial population in the city and that the commercial CAP relief is depending on its usage, then they need to be included in the controller. Otherwise, you could just create any CO§§/CO§§§ CAP releaving lot, which won't provide any airport capacity though.

joelyboy911

The custom airport templates you mentioned could come in very handy i think with this (I could transit enable them, no?). I think the way without the basis of commercial population would be easier, but would provide less of a benefit to anyone who might use it, were it ever released. That said, I have PEG's seaports, therefore no BSC seaports and no AC airports. I might just have to dump PEG's one and see how I like BSC. Hmmm....
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

imperialmog

I am trying to get an airport to be used but nothing is going on. I am not sure if an adjacent city can have its usage/demand to an airport in another city? If it can how does it get done since I get the feeling if it does its the airport shuttles.

RippleJet

Quote from: imperialmog on May 29, 2009, 09:03:19 AM
I am trying to get an airport to be used but nothing is going on. I am not sure if an adjacent city can have its usage/demand to an airport in another city?

No, only the CO population in the same city, that has road access to the airport can see the airport.
The usage that the airport reports, is in fact the same as that CO capacity in your city.

It often takes quite a while before the airport actually reports its usage though.
And, for some strange reason, the usage always drops down to 0 after each stage upgrade.

Luckily enough, this doesn't seem to affect the CO CAP relief though.
There's no reduction in CO demand when the airport shows no usage.

Quote from: joelyboy911 on May 27, 2009, 03:06:40 AM
The custom airport templates you mentioned could come in very handy i think with this (I could transit enable them, no?).

Yes, that should be possible as well! :)

joelyboy911

If two blank lots could be made, compatible with AC Functional Airports, and with an airport capacity, but not included in the pack, Then I can make a large and a small airport railway link in the same style, and see about releasing it publicly as an add-on to the pack, or including in the next version. They would also mean giving existing modular airports a capacity, whilst providing an actual railway station as well. Jobs could be included. I don't know of this project (or something similar) is already uinderway, but I know I would find heaps of use for it. Maybe custom automata could also be included, only generated by the airport train station, to increase realism further.

I know that these are lofty dreams from a beginner, but I think that they can be done.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

i wish there would be something like a region gameplay meaning no city borders. play the region instead of that blue crap next to the city you are urrently using.

Terring7

This may need the modification of the .exe itself, and this is impossible. Also playing a whole region at once will makes the game really slow!!

And please don't use bad words as nickname. ÓùóôÜ; ;)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.