• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rummtata

Thanks, that already helped alot. I'm really trying to figure out this stuff but there are sooo many puzzle pieces - it's still a bit overwhelming.

I'm also having problems with the NWM and the RHW, but I guess I can always use the digging lots and build tunnels. I will keep experimenting =)

sim_link

jondor

Quote from: Tarkus on September 16, 2012, 12:56:58 PM
Technically, while an RHW-4 FLEXFly looks like it would have more capacity, in actuality, there wouldn't be an increase.

The only thing that has recently happened with FLEXFly development was the ground-level FLEXCurve, which was mostly built before Project 57 started.  There's been talk of porting the existing 90-degree FLEXFly to additional height levels besides L0 and L2, but so far, to the best of my knowledge, the only thing that's been completed with respect to those items is the conversion of L2 FLEXFly and L0 FLEXCurve to work with P57. 

There's been no development on additional widths or angles, and I'm not sure that'll happen for NAM 31.

-Alex

I'll jump in here and say that there are models created for the L0, L1 and (revamped L2) 90-degree MIS A and B curves, but they are currently a bit out of date and need to have their IIDs altered as well.  There are a mostly complete set of RULs for the L0 curve (they need additional stability regarding crossings directly adjacent to the curve) and as I recall I also ported them to L1 (also in need of CPFR style IID alterations).

I started revamping ALL of the RHW models because I started coming across errors and inconsistencies in them, which in turn led to revamping the textures and while we were at it, some of the IID scheme as well.

As of a couple hours ago, I just furnished the NAM team with a complete set of RHW-4 models for all levels L0-L4 and using that as a base, I'm hoping to be able to write a little Java program that will churn out models for all the rest of the networks.  After which I can finish some texture work and go back to tidying up the FLEXFly and with any luck, be able to have a full set of 90-degree MIS A and B curves ready for the next NAM.

That's my hope anyway.  I'll probably need a little luck to go along with said hope.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

Quote from: rummtata on September 17, 2012, 04:53:05 PM
I'm also having problems with the NWM and the RHW, but I guess I can always use the digging lots and build tunnels. I will keep experimenting =)

Currently, the NWM networks can only interact with the Ground RHW-2, the Elevated RHW-4, and the Ground and Elevated MIS.  Next release (NAM 31), all elevated RHW networks will be able to cross over NWM networks.  The opposite (NWM-over-RHW) will require implementing elevated NWM networks, which probably won't happen until NAM 32, when the NWM is planned to undergo major expansion.

And now, a couple development pics . . . GHSR interacting with the L1 RHW-2:

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

For the heck of it. How close can I get to the traditional Periodic Table...

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/5107/capturerhwriptoe.png

... If I started including the actual RHW networks as being the Noble Gases? (Remember, the previous one I made was based off of the Janet Periodic Table, now known as the ADOMAH Periodic Table. http://www.perfectperiodictable.com/userguide )
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

wschmrdr

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 18, 2012, 02:44:29 AM

... If I started including the actual RHW networks as being the Noble Gases? (Remember, the previous one I made was based off of the Janet Periodic Table, now known as the ADOMAH Periodic Table. http://www.perfectperiodictable.com/userguide )

Very nice. If I might make a suggestion, obviously this is on the nerdy side and I completely understand if you wish to decline due to possible confusion, place all of the D1s, E1s, and F1s in the same column, and then the A2s, B2s, etc. on the inside. Then later, the X3s in lanthanoid and actinoid series.

rummtata

Quote from: Tarkus on September 18, 2012, 01:41:00 AM
  Next release (NAM 31), all elevated RHW networks will be able to cross over NWM networks.  The opposite (NWM-over-RHW) will require implementing elevated NWM networks

Sounds like you're working on the right projects. Keep up the good work  &apls

gn_leugim

Quote from: wschmrdr on September 18, 2012, 03:54:25 AM
Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 18, 2012, 02:44:29 AM

Very nice. If I might make a suggestion, obviously this is on the nerdy side and I completely understand if you wish to decline due to possible confusion, place all of the D1s, E1s, and F1s in the same column, and then the A2s, B2s, etc. on the inside. Then later, the X3s in lanthanoid and actinoid series.

+1 eheh

That periodic table looks nice =P

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: Tarkus on September 18, 2012, 01:41:00 AM
Currently, the NWM networks can only interact with the Ground RHW-2, the Elevated RHW-4, and the Ground and Elevated MIS.  Next release (NAM 31), all elevated RHW networks will be able to cross over NWM networks.  The opposite (NWM-over-RHW) will require implementing elevated NWM networks, which probably won't happen until NAM 32, when the NWM is planned to undergo major expansion.

Just the RHW-over-NWM will be a terrific addition. The relative lack of RHW/NWM capabilities is holding me back from using the NWM even more than I am now. I like the sound of "major expansion" for the NWM.

QuoteAnd now, a couple development pics . . . GHSR interacting with the L1 RHW-2:

Ooh...perhaps it would behoove me to drag HSR out of the closet when it has a full complement of RHW crosslinking.

ivo_su

Can you tell me what happened with that. Alex had mentioned that he had a problem with his computer and has lost a lot of data. Does this mean that the NAM team is back 10 months ago and started it again? If so, would the disaster that has befallen you is biblical proportions. I sincerely pray that all this work has not gone to hell. I wonder at this point how much the order of rulers have reached, and passed 500 000 or you have not? Also if it is not a big secret, I would love to know what it includes every stages / phase of work on a new product on the NAM. Now they should be around 30 and I really wonder what is being done through them, check them off or whether it shut as chapters?

Otherwise, when I think about the 30th NAM rather do his 1st birthday (hopefully not live up to the second) But whatever we say, until now never voiced a better product in the entire career of the team. Achievements that Alex and company did to 15/09/2011 are comparable to those of Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt.
However, the door knocking thing I ruined all come so far, something that will make the 30th NAM seem like Nintendo in the 90s
What is it that ...? I think you all know

jdenm8

Tarkus was able to salvage most of his data from his failed HDD. He has said we have lost nothing NAM Related at all in the failure.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

I didn't lose any P57 stuff when my hard drive failed.  It was primarily a boot sector failure, and I've been able to access the drive externally and retrieve things.  By that point, however, I had scrapped much of the work done with P57 prior to mid-July 2012, including about 200,000 lines of RUL2 code, because we found some inconsistencies in the specs that would cause problems later on in development.  We revamped the specs (P57-Mk2) then, and we've been methodically rebuilding the RHW with those new specs.  As a result, there hasn't been a new Alpha Build since Build 03 in early July.

The stuff I've been showing has been the product of that rebuilding process.  There's just one network that's really being developed right now (the L1 RHW-2), but it has more crossings than the previous P57 networks, and once we get that one network solid, the process of putting together the other 30+ networks will fall into place that much easier.

-Alex

jondor

At this point in the re-development, we're basically putting together a template.  Once it's solid and finished without errors, it can be copied to the other networks and other heights with mainly the use of the Find/Replace function.  Other minor additions, subtractions, and edits have to be made, especially when the RHW-2 code gets ported to the RHW-4.  Certain changes have to be made to account for the asymmetry, but those changes can carry over to every other asymmetrical network (all of them except the 6C/8C/10C Median).
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

gn_leugim

Quote from: jondor on September 18, 2012, 08:27:35 PM
it can be copied to the other networks and other heights with mainly the use of the Find/Replace function. 

That is very handy! well thought

Tarkus

An intriguing little hint of something . . .

Yes, that's the start of an ortho ground RHW-4 going under a diagonal L1 RHW-2.  Still needs some adjacency stability to carry the RHW-4 override through, but you're looking at a first-of-its-kind setup.

-Alex

Gugu3

Monorail Master

Wow.... That's just awesome...

Well want to ask a few things on the development before my ADD starts kicking into gear...

1. About those Flex-Fly ERHW-4 ramps proposed in Page 523, any possibility there will be Flex-Fly ERHW-2 ramps for the upcoming release of RHW / NAM? 'Cause I've ran into, and y'all probally ran into, situations where having those for compact interchanges in dense urban areas would be a blessing.

2. Will there be RHW-6S, RHW-4, MIS, and/or RHW-3 FLUPs in the next version? That way when building some multilayer interchanges, the bottommost RHW network won't have to be slowed down to AVE-4 just for a tunnel section.

3. Will there be any/few more RHW bridges in the next release? Or are we just gonna have to stick with the RHW-2 and RHW-4 bridges?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Tarkus

Quote from: Monorail Master on September 19, 2012, 09:03:14 AM
1. About those Flex-Fly ERHW-4 ramps proposed in Page 523, any possibility there will be Flex-Fly ERHW-2 ramps for the upcoming release of RHW / NAM? 'Cause I've ran into, and y'all probally ran into, situations where having those for compact interchanges in dense urban areas would be a blessing.

There are no plans for an RHW-2 FLEXFly at this point.  FLEXFly development is going to be focused first on getting the existing MIS 90-degree versions ported to additional heights, and I'd think the MIS 45-degree version would be the next logical step.

2. Will there be RHW-6S, RHW-4, MIS, and/or RHW-3 FLUPs in the next version? That way when building some multilayer interchanges, the bottommost RHW network won't have to be slowed down to AVE-4 just for a tunnel section.

We have some models for new FLUPs portals from Dexter, though there are some implementation details we're working out, which will probably mean they'll be a NAM 32 feature.  And in any case, because the next release will include 3 levels of most networks, and 5 levels of RHW-4, RHW-6S, and MIS Ramps, you won't need to build tunnels to make interchanges with three or more levels.

3. Will there be any/few more RHW bridges in the next release? Or are we just gonna have to stick with the RHW-2 and RHW-4 bridges?

We have an RHW-6S bridge that'll definitely be in there.  There were almost-complete 8S and 10S bridges made awhile ago, but they're going to need to be updated to modern specs.  As we're focused primarily on the base draggable networks and getting them stable at this point, bridge work will probably be quite a bit later in the development cycle.

-Alex

ivo_su

I and I guess many others are disappointed by this turn of affairs, mainly by postponing the development of FlUPS models by Matt and Flex Fly RHW-4. Especially for me these two directions are more important than any other development processes within the NAM, but I have no words for your policy :)
  Others for which I apologize is Alpha Build process. Now you have to Alpha Build 3, but what are the indices and indicators that distinguish Alpha Build 4 of 5? Have you pre-set goals and then achieve them close this time and pass to the next. Example
Step 1 - Design
Stage 2 - textures
Stage 3 - path
Stage 4 - RULs

epicblunder

Quote from: ivo_su on September 19, 2012, 01:23:28 PM
I and I guess many others are disappointed by this turn of affairs

Well i'm sure not.  I'll take all the new toys i can get.  Keep up the good work guys!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tarkus on September 19, 2012, 10:02:13 AM
We have an RHW-6S bridge that'll definitely be in there.  There were almost-complete 8S and 10S bridges made awhile ago, but they're going to need to be updated to modern specs.  As we're focused primarily on the base draggable networks and getting them stable at this point, bridge work will probably be quite a bit later in the development cycle.

I'm so happy we're getting a 6S bridge!  Cramming a large freeway down to a -4 just doesn't feel realistic.  Does the bit about he -8S and -10S mean you're going to try to get them into this release or don't hold your breath until NAM32?