• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Win 8.1

Started by eagle74, November 25, 2018, 06:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle74

My PC running Win 7 pro came with an anytime upgrade to Win 8.1.  With the end of support about 1 yr away on Win 7, I am thinking about doing the upgrade.  Will my SC4 disc copy run OK on 8.1 as long as I disable the MS security update that kills the disc drive?  Will the other tools like PIMx, etc work OK? 

Andreas

If you really want to upgrade, I'd pick Windows 10 after all, since Windows 8.1 is outdated already as well, and the support won't last that much longer than Windows 7. It's still possible to get a free Win10 license with a Win7 serial number (those will be accepted just fine if you use the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool"). Personally, I wouldn't want to use Win8.1, there are too many other annoyances that bug me.

I think you can uninstall the security update that kills the copy protection in Win8.1, though, but if you ask me, it's too much of a hassle after all. Investing a few bucks in a digital download surely is worth the effort, if you can't get a free upgrade from EA (not sure if they still offer that, my version seems to be fine, and it's not the vanilla version that can't be patched).
Andreas

art128

Just to complete what Andreas said, and if you decide to get to a digital version of the game, it's currently at 2.49 euros on steam or 4.39 euros on GoG.

Mind you, the steam version requires Valve's Steam software (and an account) to be installed in order to play. GoG is DRM free.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

eagle74

Thanks guys for the help.  8.1 is free (for me) & does not end support until Jan 2023.  Don't want to spend $200 for Win 10 on a 4 yr old PC as I will need a new one before long.  Did not know that you could still get Win 10 for free, but I don't use any media creation tools.

I already have a Steam account & play several games there.  Just did not want the hassle of switching over to digital when my disc works perfectly fine.