• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Reddonquixote's International BAT Thread

Started by reddonquixote, August 16, 2015, 02:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddonquixote

Thanks Bombaridiere - Yes, hoping that will work  :thumbsup:

Good to see you back CP. Thanks, I will check it out. Still in experimenting mode  :D

I played with the curved road a bit more. These curves aren't quite as elegant as the puzzle pieces, but still not bad, but at least I can connect to these:

I've also had a play with making some seawalls. Still early days, lots to fix up, but not a bad start  ()what()

Lastly, couldn't resist  :D

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

mattb325

Looking good! I love the sea walls...did you ever make/release some other riverside sea wall type pieces for your Melbourne stuff?...(I might be having a senior moment, so forgive me if it wasn't you)  ::)

Kitsune

~ NAM Team Member

doug_w

Any chance of you doing Sydney, Australia buildings :)

reddonquixote

Thanks Matt - Yes, that was me who made Melbourne river pieces, but they weren't really ever for release. They weren't modular and only pieced together to make the Yarra. I did release a lot of the little props (Trees, benches, statues etc as part of my prop pack though.

Thanks Kitsune.. still working on them.

No Doug, not for a while  $%Grinno$%

So, I had to restart my map - I needed to terraform the coastline properly , so now it conforms perfectly with my reference grid. This has enabled me to make quite nicely fitting seawalls. I still need to make them a bit more seamless, but these are pretty good as testers.

Firstly, you have to imagine they are nicely textured and furnished  ;) :

Here's how they form to make a nice smooth coastline:

and here's an overview of the terraformed coastline:

Let me know what you think.
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

Unconstantean

lovely. Can you add some variation to the walls? like some sewage pipes ore tunnels:

art128

I'm actually considering doing something like this for my current city, considering most of the shoreline is not 90 or 45 degrees.

That small portion of seawall is pretty good looking. Only thing i would have done differently is not model the trees, so i can get more variety, randomness and seasonal trees.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kitsune

even better on the seawalls ! My city I traced out the original coast, so it has all kinds of crazy angles, and its why I haven't sea wall'ed it yet (well that and there is thousands of coastal tiles to sea wall).
~ NAM Team Member

mattb325

reddonquixote

Thanks all  :thumbsup:

Back to BATing for a bit... here's a couple more:

That weird new WTC Westfield Transport hub thing... needs more work but its quite difficult not sure I can be bothered  $%Grinno$% (I will though)

..and the Washington Building. I'm hoping it will look better once textured.

mattb325

I think the Washington Building looks great already   &apls

The transport hub is always going to be a tricky structure to be 100% accurate for SC4, but what you have is pretty good so far. To think that Westfield have turned the plaza of the oculus into an LED ad and shopping mall.... %confuso

belfastsocrates

Those seawalls look absolutely superb. I know it's early days but will there be some curved corners?

The Washington Building also looks fantastic.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simmer2

Always a pleasure to watch a master at work!  &apls

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

reddonquixote

Thanks Simmer & Matt  ;D

Thanks Belfastsocrates - Yes, in fact I think most of the corners are curved.

As I was working on the Washington Building I realised I never finished the Alexander Hamilton US Customs House. So here it is...

noahclem

Amazing progress  &apls &apls &apls

I'm particularly excited for the transport center (love Calatrava and his museum in Milwaukee was my favorite architecture in the city!) and also the Customs House with the unusual angle--we desperately need more beautiful buildings in such shapes! Seawall possibilities are exciting as well and the whole project is really coming together nicely!

edit: wrong building name  ::)

Still super-excited about the bridge as well. And still wish sloping at least at the ends could somehow be feasible... maybe that's just not meant to be

feyss

Quote from: noahclem on February 18, 2018, 06:48:57 AM
we desperately need more beautiful buildings in such shapes!

I was thinking exactly the same thing :D

Your attention to details is impressive!

MushyMushy

It would probably be complicated, but couldn't the sloped bridge be pulled off by making it a TE-ed lot with custom paths? I suspect you'd have to play games with the elevation of the ground under the water but I think it could potentially be possible... not really sure.

JP Schriefer

Every single building is looking amazing! BUT OMG you're doing the Woolworth Building and it's looking so perfect, very good job. But coming from the guy who is modeling all lower Manhattan that's just a small piece of awesomeness.

reddonquixote

Thanks Noah - great to hear from you. Yes, it would be great if we can get the sloped bridge working - a problem for another time maybe
Thanks Feyss - it's such a beautiful building it deserves an appropriate level of attention and detail. Wasn't easy though  $%Grinno$%
Good idea Mushy... worth exploring for sure...
and JP.. where have you been hiding, good to see you back. Thanks for nice comments  :thumbsup:

I had this weird recollection of making 4 New York Plaza but it hadn't made a showing in any of my scenes.. turns out I only got it 95% completed then forgot about it. Not surprising really.. its a pretty unforgettable building  :D. Here it is:

JP Schriefer

Some familiar issues made me out of the field for some time, but now I'm back  :)

4 New York Plaza is looking very nice! It's interesting because due to your post I now have a better reference for a building I intend to model, the Silver Tower from SC3K, which I noticed now is obviously based on the 2 New York Plaza  :bnn: