• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Request / Update

Started by SimSome, January 03, 2013, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimSome

I'm not sure if this is already in development. I feel like it is if not, this is a request. Thanks for reading!

1) The RHW already has 1tile-to-2tile transitions in the form of puzzle pieces. And NWM has drag-able transitions within each tile width. What about 1tile-to-2tile and 2tile-to-3tile transitions?

2) NAM has roundabouts which can take up to 8 incoming avenues at 45 degree angles. What about 12 incoming avenues at 30 degree angles converging on say, the Arc de Triomphe? (just an example, I'm not suggesting plops just suggesting a default cosmetic piece like the current one's fountain)Alternatively 1/12 circumference curved puzzle pieces would allow one to build his/her own roundabout. 1/4 and 1/8 circumference curved puzzle pieces already exist in NAM 30 and I(for one) use them to built such monstrosities sometimes when the standard roundabout isn't enough.

3) What about roundabouts for the various NAM network types? Me wants.

Tarkus

To answer a few questions:

1) Are you referring to transitions between different tile widths on the NWM (e.g. from a 1-tile NWM network to a 2-tile NWM network)?  There's one already extant--OWR-3-to-4.  A few more will probably sneak into the next release . . . it's mostly a matter of making textures (and transitions are harder to create textures for than other items).

2 and 3) There's been no work on roundabouts for some time.  There'd be some major implementation issues to work out, particularly with allowing fractional angle connections into them.

-Alex

SimSome

1) I see. So what you are saying is that I should subscribe to your channel on YouTube. Got it.

2) and 3) is there a reason for roundabouts not being worked on? Are they especially harder and thus larger undertakings? Or is it just a lack of interest?  Also nothing is too hard for you guys. Have you seen your work? So I'll just take it as "yes, I take personal responsibility for this happening by NAM 32". Yes that will work well for me.

Thanks for the response and the promising to fulfill my wishes.

MandelSoft

Well, the main reason why things like this aren't in the works we have a limited amount of workforce in the NAM Team and therefore we need to set priorities. Currently, Project 57 (the total RHW overhaul) is taking up most of the work and therefore, other projects have been set for schedule for the NAM 32, like the NWM 3.0, the TuLEPs and probably roundabout development.

Beside that, connecting Fractional Angled networks to roundabouts is very, very hard to implement, because there are a large number of possibilities to connect the roundabout with the FAR. Besides that, there's something in the works that will also required a different approach to cope with this.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

memo

Quote from: SimSome on January 03, 2013, 10:14:29 PM
2) and 3) is there a reason for roundabouts not being worked on? Are they especially harder and thus larger undertakings? Or is it just a lack of interest?  Also nothing is too hard for you guys. Have you seen your work? So I'll just take it as "yes, I take personal responsibility for this happening by NAM 32". Yes that will work well for me.

Thanks for the response and the promising to fulfill my wishes.

There is a golden rule regarding custom content: If you absolutely want to have something specific, do it yourself. It is unlikely any modder will take up an idea, unless the modder is infected by the enthusiasm for this idea. Since all knowledge that is required for implementation is documented in various tutorials, implementing it yourself may still be the fastest way of getting what you want.

SimSome

Quote from: MandelSoft on January 04, 2013, 04:52:48 AMBesides that, there's something in the works that will also required a different approach to cope with this.

Go on, don't leave us hanging.

Quote from: memo on January 04, 2013, 06:03:56 AM

There is a golden rule regarding custom content: If you absolutely want to have something specific, do it yourself. It is unlikely any modder will take up an idea, unless the modder is infected by the enthusiasm for this idea. Since all knowledge that is required for implementation is documented in various tutorials, implementing it yourself may still be the fastest way of getting what you want.

I am very thank full and great full for everybody's work, especially the NAM team. Not least because I haven't the first clue where to begin. Actually I do know where to begin, the tutorials. Its that I'm lazy. And my golden rule is check if somebody else has already done all the hard work first before lifting more than a finger. And I've checked and it seems work has begun on changes that would 'require a different approach' and make any efforts obsolete quickly. I'm gonna read that as one of the effects of the over haul and will wait on NAM 31. See, im already procrastinating.