• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

praiodan's workbench / general discussion

Started by praiodan, December 16, 2006, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

praiodan

I see, thank you vester for this example. Of course I know gascooker's tutorial, but I didn't took the physical implications of the light and shadows into full consideration. But as I already said, there in fact is a slight gradient applied to the buildings' textures. It's not too visible on closest zooms, but will be recognizeable at farther zooms.  :)

kbieniu7

3 years are indeed a lot of time, but well, c'est la vie. It often happens and it's hard to come back, especially if you still can see some minor or major issues to correction, so congratulations for the power to manage to take it back and finally publish. Especially when the Model itself look great :thumbsup:

I also like the Weissenhofsiedlung, looks nice and simple :) Does it fit into w2ws?

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

FrankU

Hi kbienu7,

The whole idea behind the Weissenhofsiedlung in Stuttgart is show an alternative to building in W2W areas. The housing is purposely designed to be stand alone in the green and open space. So it would be a kind of insult to the original architects to put these into W2W blocks.
On the other hand: it's your game and you can do what you want.

praiodan

Thank you, kbieniu7.

Taking in consideration what Frank says, well: Yes, from a pure geometric point of view, the final Geschossbau will fit into W2W areas. It wouldn't have in first place, but I intentionally scaled it according to the game grid so you are free to choose. Making it fit into W2W blocks doesn't necessarily mean it will only fit these surroundings. The length difference, between W2W scaled and RL building, is 4 meters, so hardly recognizeable at all anyway.

Quote from: FrankU on April 24, 2017, 12:42:33 AMThe whole idea behind the Weissenhofsiedlung in Stuttgart is show an alternative to building in W2W areas. The housing is purposely designed to be stand alone in the green and open space. So it would be a kind of insult to the original architects to put these into W2W blocks.
On the other hand: it's your game and you can do what you want.

While you are right on the green open space thingey, let's not forget this is all but a game. In now 13 or 14 years I have seen many possible (unintentional) insults towards RL architects and their concepts and I might certainly have commited a couple of them myself ( $%Grinno$% ) I took the decision that I regarded best fit to give players the choice to play the game they like it best; of either employ the Geschossbau in W2W surrounds or open spaces or even both.  :thumbsup: And for those who don't like my crappy Lotting, anyone's free to give it ago themselves, asap it is published.  ;D

praiodan

Continued working on unfished stuff, although this one was merely prepared for first progress, so it's ben the first time since I picked up BATing again that I also modelled something substantially new.  $%Grinno$% A lot still left to work on still, but here a sneak preview:

I introduce to you Sophienholm, which in RL is located in Lyngby near Copenhagen. I hope it'll turn out to be an ideal companion to Charlottenlund:)

vester

Nice choice!

Live like 1 km up the road and use to go kayaking on the lake.

The place is a museum, think for art, but not sure. Never went in. Just went through the gardens.

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

reddonquixote

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

JP Schriefer

Lovely building, looking forward to this one as well :)

praiodan

Thank you very much, guys!  :)

Quote from: vester on April 24, 2017, 02:38:30 PMLive like 1 km up the road and use to go kayaking on the lake.

The place is a museum, think for art, but not sure. Never went in. Just went through the gardens.

Hehe, I know and this should be no coincidence, since it certainly was you who brought this little beauty to my attention many years ago.  ;) How about renaming it Villa Munther for the game?  ;D

Quick update. Felt like roofing and crimping my way over the central part of the building the past two days.  $%Grinno$%

noahclem

Great to see your work continuing! Really like the latest BAT and am quite enjoying the other w2w ones as well. Neat buildings and great attention to detail  &apls

c.p.

praiodan

Thank you very much!
While greatly enjoying the European Concert of the Berliner Philharmoniker, performed in Pafos, Cyprus and conducted by the grand maestro Mariss Jansons this morning, I pretty much finished modelling Sophienholm/Villa Munther.

vinlabsc3k

Quote from: praiodan on May 01, 2017, 04:55:51 AM
While greatly enjoying the European Concert of the Berliner Philharmoniker, performed in Pafos, Cyprus and conducted by the grand maestro Mariss Jansons this morning, I pretty much finished modelling Sophienholm/Villa Munther.

I love this building. &apls It would useful to create a city hall or a local police station in a little town.
One thing to blame: the walls are too clean, try to make them look older. ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

vester

Looks good.

It doesn't look like the windows are set back into the wall, but flush with it ?

Vinlabsc3k: Any reason to include the pictures in your quote ?
Not sure why you add a quote at all.

praiodan

Thank you guys!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on May 01, 2017, 06:29:49 AM
I love this building. &apls It would useful to create a city hall or a local police station in a little town.
One thing to blame: the walls are too clean, try to make them look older. ;)

Although this building of course would fit as a museum, as it is in RL, I like the idea of the police station for a plopable Lot.
For the walls: Regarding the very clean state the facade is in in RL I think I already made it look too weathered and old.  :D I'll have another look into this.

Quote from: vester on May 01, 2017, 09:21:35 AMIt doesn't look like the windows are set back into the wall, but flush with it ?
They are set back very slightly, which is how I recognised it on the few pictures I have and also in Street View it seems only a few centimeters. I'll have a try on setting them back a little more and see what option will satisfy me more.  :)

vester

My guess, they are set back with at least 10 cm if not 15 cm.

Even if they are not set back that much I would at least do it by 10 cm.
The shadows on the windows brings life and contrast to the model.

praiodan

I set the windows back now for another 20 cm. Way better. :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on May 01, 2017, 12:07:18 PM
Even if they are not set back that much I would at least do it by 10 cm.
The shadows on the windows brings life and contrast to the model.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! You are absolutely right about the effect of setting the windows back. I see I'm still a little rusty concerncing balancing a model for optimal visuals.  $%Grinno$%

vester

So how much sill do you have under windows ?

In Denmark in old times use 3 different kinds:

Brick on the side.

Black stone slates

Metal plates, most common of zinc.

The sill would add shadow lines under the windows:

Added a bit of shadow to the left part of the picture.

praiodan

Quote from: vester on May 01, 2017, 12:35:58 PM
So how much sill do you have under windows ?
Now it's slowly getting embarrasing for me.  $%Grinno$% Apparently it's too few for the game.  ::) :D Sophienholm itself has very short sills (and so has the model):

Therefore no shadow under the sills yet. Here's a try on that: