• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sims commuting where they shouldn't

Started by Lach77, March 11, 2012, 05:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lach77

Hey Guys

I'm running into commuter problems in my expanding region. I have an avenue neighbour connection leaving a populated city into another city but it doesn't yet connect to anything on the other side but 2000 sims are shown to be travelling to that city even though there is nothing for them to access as the avenue doesn't encroach that city by more than a few tiles.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks

RickD

This is how the simulator works. It can't actually "see" the neighboring city and what is in it (or what not). If you have more residents than jobs or if the jobs are too far away, the Sims get sent to the nearest neighbor connection.
This will probably give you a huge job demand when you start the neighbor city.

There are other things you need to take care of. The jobs in your city must meet the sim's wealth and education. And you should not built neighbor connections too close to the edges of the map. This could result in the "eternal commuter" problem, where the sims travel in an infinite circle through four cities but never find a job.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

krbe

The simulator works on statistical demand and supply, not real. There's a supply of labour in one city, and demand in the other. The simulation in itself is not capable of computing more than that, and the exit / entry point, so what's happening on "the other side" is not relevant as far as the simulation is concerned.

If this bothers you, the solution is to cut off the neighbour connection in the city that supply those sims.

Lach77

Ok thanks for the explanation - that makes heaps more sense to me now.