• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 31 freezes on "Loading New City" screen - is there a fix/workaround?

Started by the81kid, March 27, 2013, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the81kid

Hi

I have:
A clean install of SimCity 4 Deluxe, UK Version
With the relevant (UK) EP1 update
With the SC4Update4BAT update
With bldgprop_vol1 and bldgprop_vol2 files in the My Documents/Simcity 4/Plugins folder

I have an Intel i7 core laptop, with Windows 7 64-bit, 8gb RAM, nVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card.

The shortcut target is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -f -intro:off -CPUCount:8

I have also ran the game fine with -CPUCount:1 , and also leaving it out completely. The game runs fine like this. The only issue I had was jerky framerate, until I changed from hardware to software mode in-game. But still, the game always ran well.

But, when I install NAM 31 (following the instructions, ran Cleanitol, and now have installed with NO other mods or addons to the game - only NAM 31), the game always freezes on the "Loading New City" screen. It works on the region screen. I have tried everything I know to tweak the options and install features (I've tried to install with the minimum features, tried a regular install, custom install etc.).

It never works. I have no idea what to do!

Is there a fix/workaround I can try? Please, I would definitely appreciate some help with this!

Thank you in advance, the MOD has always been and looks excellent

the81kid

PS. I have scoured the internets to find some info or help. I've read a few brief posts on various message boards that there have been reported some freezing problems (I think I read two, but after looking for hours). But absolutely no clue given as to how to make it work.

Is there a workaround until the 31.1 release?

Thanks!

Tarkus

There's a couple possibilities:

-It may be your processor.  Users with newer i7 systems (Sandy Bridge ones, especially) have reported crashing and freezing with the new version.  For some reason, high-powered Intel gaming rigs have difficulty with the 2.12 million lines of code in the RUL2 file in the controller.  We're actually shrinking that down for the next release, and the testing we've done so far indicates that this should alleviate the issue.  Usually, however, this issue comes up while in the city tile and often while saving or exiting to region, not upon entering the city.

-Try -CPU:Count:1 and see if that helps.

-Alex

the81kid

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I read on another message board something about the i7 core having problems with something.

I have tried changing to -CPUCount:1 , but no change. Still behaves exactly the same, freezes on "Loading New City". When I Ctrl+Alt+Del the Task Manager says SimCity "isn't responding".

Is there another way to emulate/change how it behaves with the i7 CPU?
Or another workaround?

Thanks again

the81kid

I've tried more tweaking and different combinations of command lines, settings etc.. Nothing works, still exactly the same. I was going to ask, is there a way to launch directly into a city, without going to the region screen first? (the first reply said it seems to happen leaving or entering the region screen.)

If not, thanks for the reply. I hope 31.1 does come out very soon, I look forward to (need!) it!

MandelSoft

If it's not responding, have checked in the processes tab in the task manager if the used memory changes? If it does, it's just loading. If it stays the same for over half a minute, chances are that the application is really freezing...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

the81kid

Thanks, but it's definitely freezing. It stays the same for over 30 seconds, and won't change til I ctrl-alt-del and stop the application. If I go to the processes tab and try to do something - for example, right-click on the application and select an option - it just tells me it isn't responding.

The fan on my laptop is usually not running when the game runs (I suppose it's so old and my laptop is more than fast enough to run it without taxing itself), but when the "Loading New City" screen appears, the fan turns on and goes crazy. I'm no expert, but I suppose the CPU is really working overtime doing something... but it never does it. Just freezes.

When will 31.1 be released? : )

the81kid

Hi

I have good news: it seems to be working!

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it. I don't know why it's working now, it's possible I changed/tweaked something, or it's possible that I just had to wait a little longer. I've even installed CAM (Cleanitol hasn't found any conflicts, if that's the right term to use). So far, so good.

I just left it on the "Loading New City" screen, went to make a cup of tea, seems like it takes a few minutes to load, instead of mere seconds with vanilla SimCity 4. Seems to take longer, but there are new transport menus and options, so it seems to be all good.

This is my shortcut target, if it helps:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -f -intro:off -CPUCount:8

I'll let you know how it goes, I'll try build a new city later.
Thanks a lot again. And I'm still looking forward to the 31.1 update.

NCGAIO

It would be good to remember that the game is 2003 then it has some limitations. I suggest you read  all this topic. This may help with your questions about the loading time ...

:)  - The 'Ultimate' SC4 Computer specs...

Wiimeiser

In 2003, Broadband was what the Wii U is now, the only multicore system was the Sega Saturn (and probably other consoles) though PCs were just down the street, people were still sour over Lisa converting to Buddhism, and the only Touhou known to 99.8% of the Japanese population was Koumakan (if that) and it was completely unheard of overseas (SC4 actually predates the Perfect Cherry Blossom demo by two weeks)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

the81kid

Quote from: NCGAIO on March 28, 2013, 02:51:51 PM

It would be good to remember that the game is 2003 then it has some limitations. I suggest you read  all this topic. This may help with your questions about the loading time ...

:)  - The 'Ultimate' SC4 Computer specs...

Hi
Well, to be honest I have a lot of experience with old programs, and with SimCity 4. But the load time of vanilla SC4 on the same (high specs) laptop is a few seconds (literally) on the "Loading City Screen". But with the NAM it's now at least a few minutes. That's okay, I can wait. But that is a big jump. I have read a lot of these articles and message board posts too.
Still, thanks

FreedomFighterEx

NAM have lot of complicated thing and code, they fix the path finding too so it may too a while to load.

the long load time only happen when i just start SC4 and didn't get into any city yet, after that it load just in 2 second  ::)

nathkel

Yes, i noticed a TREMENDOUS slowdown as well when going from Region view into the city. Plus the initial drawing time was greatly slowed (as the city elements are drawn with animations and such). But if you're patient it will show up (at least on my Windows XP 2.2 gHz machine).

sisisi

I had the same problem and the cup of tea solved it  :thumbsup:

Thanks  &apls  :D

the81kid

fefenc

Quote from: Tarkus on March 27, 2013, 10:35:56 AM
There's a couple possibilities:

-It may be your processor.  Users with newer i7 systems (Sandy Bridge ones, especially) have reported crashing and freezing with the new version.  For some reason, high-powered Intel gaming rigs have difficulty with the 2.12 million lines of code in the RUL2 file in the controller.  We're actually shrinking that down for the next release, and the testing we've done so far indicates that this should alleviate the issue.  Usually, however, this issue comes up while in the city tile and often while saving or exiting to region, not upon entering the city.

-Try -CPU:Count:1 and see if that helps.

-Alex

Mah processor is a "Pentiun 4" (LOL) and I have this delay on loading screen ç_ç

NCGAIO

As already suggested above would be very useful to read the entire thread below.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=5af1dacba40233205ee72fa3253d7323&topic=12523.msg428154#msg428154

Regardless of being single or multicore  even  x86 or 64 bits...   the thread  refers to the limitation of memory usable to exe SC4 and provides some tips to overcome this limit.