• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Steam and the NAM

Started by z, March 11, 2013, 03:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

As Steam users know, Steam installs SC4 into a different location than the Maxis discs.  It also uses different registry keys to store its information.  The NAM Team would like to make the new NAM completely compatible with the Steam version of SC4.  We already know where in the registry Steam stores the SC4 install path, but I have a couple of further questions that would be very useful to have answered.  For Steam installations of SC4, are the Maxis registry keys simply not present?  If they're present, are they correct?  And specifically, for the Steam version of SC4, where does one find the "Language" value for SC4 in the registry, which is a DWORD containing the numeric value of the language that the game is using?  This value is very important for the NAM, as it is used to determine what side of the road traffic drives on in the NAM.

Yild

...can't add attachments (or I don't know haw to do it here :P ):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 4]
"CacheSize"=dword:0012434f
"IsDeluxe"=dword:00000001
"SwapSize"=dword:00000000
"DisplayName"="SimCity 4 Deluxe"
"Install Dir"="D:\\steam\\steamapps\\common\\SimCity 4 Deluxe\\"
"Patch URL"="http://simcity.ea.com/update/"
"Product GUID"="somehiddenvaluesbyme"
"region"="NA"
"Registration"="SOFTWARE"
"language"="English US"
"Locale"="en-us"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 4\1.0]
"DisplayName"="SimCity 4 Deluxe"
"LanguageName"="English US"
"language"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 4\EP1]
@="somehiddenvaluesbyme"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis\SimCity 4\Tools]
"User Group ID"=dword:somehiddenvaluesbyme

DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

Shadow Assassin

For all intents and purposes, z, the Steam version is identical to the retail SC4 version. The only difference is where it's installed.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

z

Quote from: Yild on March 11, 2013, 04:16:41 AM
...can't add attachments (or I don't know haw to do it here :P ):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Maxis]...

This is the Maxis version; I need the entries from the Steam version.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 11, 2013, 07:13:41 AM
For all intents and purposes, z, the Steam version is identical to the retail SC4 version. The only difference is where it's installed.

Where it's installed is very important to the NAM installer.  JD already gave me a pointer to that registry entry, but I also need to know where the "Language" value is stored, so that I can make sure that the NAM has the Sims driving on the proper side of the road.

WC_EEND

If it's any help, steam installs it to <steam install dir here>/Steam/steamapps/common/SimCity 4 Deluxe by default

Xander

edit: for what it's worth, I'm using the steam version of SC4 and the NAM installer recoginised mine correctly and installed correctly as well.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

art128

Quote from: WC_EEND on March 11, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
If it's any help, steam installs it to <steam install dir here>/Steam/steamapps/common/SimCity 4 Deluxe by default

Xander

edit: for what it's worth, I'm using the steam version of SC4 and the NAM installer recoginised mine correctly and installed correctly as well.

Same here, had no issue with the new NAM.

Just Cleantol that didn't detect the plugin folder as the one on steam but mydoc. Except that the installation went very well, and so far no crashes or anything unusual while using it.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

wouanagaine

Does that means the shortcut to sc4 is using a -userDir to point to the steam folder ?
That is what Z is willing to get , how can we find the folder by code ? is is somewhere on the registery ?
We can use the maxis key to find where steam installed the game, but that doesn't give a clue about your plugins folder :(

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

z

Quote from: art128 on March 11, 2013, 03:44:00 PM
Just Cleantol that didn't detect the plugin folder as the one on steam but mydoc. Except that the installation went very well, and so far no crashes or anything unusual while using it.

What's the full path of the Plugins folder that wasn't detected?

According to a listing of registry entries provided by a user on Simtropolis, Steam fills in the Maxis entries with its own values, so getting the information from the Maxis entries should work.  Presumably, Steam does this to be backward-compatible with software such as ours, since it also has its own set of registry entries.

Yild

Quote from: z on March 11, 2013, 03:23:47 PM
This is the Maxis version; I need the entries from the Steam version.

you think Im stupid, this is steam version (win xp)

Quote from: wouanagaine on March 11, 2013, 03:48:25 PM
We can use the maxis key to find where steam installed the game, but that doesn't give a clue about your plugins folder :(

steam sc4 plugins is exactly where it should be: my documents\simcity 4\plugins

z

Quote from: Yild on March 11, 2013, 10:34:18 PM

My apologies; I missed the one mention of "steam" in your list of entries.  Steam also maintains its own registry entries under "HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam", so I was expecting something along those lines.  But apparently it fills in the Maxis standard registry entries as well.

Which leads to the question:  If Steam is filling in the Maxis registry entries properly (as it apparently is, and as one other Steam user has since verified), then why are Steam users having problems with Cleanitol?

Yild

Quote from: z on March 12, 2013, 12:17:00 AM

Which leads to the question:  If Steam is filling in the Maxis registry entries properly (as it apparently is, and as one other Steam user has since verified), then why are Steam users having problems with Cleanitol?

actually simcity (re)creates this entries if not found in registry - and yes there is another entry \valve\steam but there is only steam app settings, problems... access rights to certain registry branch,  x32/x64 branches, etc.

TheAttendee

As someone who's been using the Steam version for 2 and a half years, I can say that I've never had a problem with Cleanitol while using it. It's always functioned properly for me on Win7.

RickD

I can confirm what Yild said. I tried on two PCs with the steam version. Cleanitol had no problem with recognizing both the Maxis and the Plugins directory:

R E P O R T
Maxis      : C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\SimCity 4 Deluxe\plugins
Plugins   : C:\Users\user\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins
Backup   : C:\Users\user\Documents\SimCity 4\BSC_Cleanitol\20130312_01
\Network Addon Mod\Additional Bridges\Additional Bridges.txt => Additional Bridges.txt
1 files have been moved to C:\Users\user\Documents\SimCity 4\BSC_Cleanitol\20130312_01
This report has also been saved as C:\Users\user\Documents\SimCity 4\BSC_Cleanitol\20130312_01\Cleanitol_result.html
An undo.bat file as been created at C:\Users\user\Documents\SimCity 4\BSC_Cleanitol\20130312_01\undo.bat
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Diggis

Quote from: z on March 12, 2013, 12:17:00 AM
Quote from: Yild on March 11, 2013, 10:34:18 PM

My apologies; I missed the one mention of "steam" in your list of entries.  Steam also maintains its own registry entries under "HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam", so I was expecting something along those lines.  But apparently it fills in the Maxis standard registry entries as well.

Maybe because some steam users have changed their Plugins Path manually?

z

Quote from: Diggis on March 12, 2013, 07:09:22 AM
Maybe because some steam users have changed their Plugins Path manually?

That does seem to be the most likely explanation.