• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b22rian

Update on the terminus el rail station...

I found an updated file on the stex.. Which essentially is a patch for the station..
The station is now in the proper menu and it functions as an el rail station as it was intended to do in the
first place..

Thanks for everyone helps with this..

and ebina,, you can get back to work on those underground rail station for the RTMT !   ;D

Brian

0rion79

Hello, I write here because I think that I'm having some troubles with NAM 2008 and pathfinders. I've downloaded it only from 1 month, but I've seen what follows:

Image a medium-size map that is an industrial complex for sims living in another map: they reach it using a double line train station that is coming from a HUGE train station in their own adiacent city.
In the actual map it is all right if I build only one train station, placed more or less in the high/center part of it.

Instead, if I build ANOTHER train station far away enough from the first one to cover the commuters needs in another part of the industrial area, let's say in the south-east area but NOT in the corner, rail lines gets congested immediately (from green to red) and commuters will act as nuts, since they will go down from the most far away stop and will take buses on highway lines to come back to the first train station! It is meaningles!!! They looks as rats into a labirynth, looking for an exit!

Sometimes I'm experimenting unbeliveable commuting times of 1000 minutes, but my average is still 400 or 450 and I don't understand why!

You have to know that my region is placed on a river and I've built car&ferry stations in each river city. Else there are no sea routes among cities. I think that this is increasing the commuters loop.

I'm also afraid of traffic enabled stations. I've seen that very often orange passenger arrows show that commuters go down and up in the same station, as if it was a "forced" stop. In this way, I'm afraid that their starting city ID is getting regenerated and replaced with the one of the actual city, so that they can travel forever...
I'm not a programmer, so my one is just an intuition looking at game graphs.

Actually, I'm using Pathfinder B, at medium difficulty, since it was the most balanced...

PS: is it possible to play a game with the lame default stations, with a capacity of 2000 or 3000 passengers? I can't image something like that especially with bus stops and subway.

j-dub

You may want to change that simulator, don't know which one, but it sounds like maybe a little more car traffic is the best bet for you, so the rails can get toned down. I had tried park and ride in the big city, and more commuters prefered mass transit, that the roads were less cars, but eveyone seemed to be focused on that means of travel instead. Sometimes, when after redoing a network, I have had to wait two years max, for the traffic to find a better route. Before it improoves I may see an arrow not going anywhere, or information about the amount of travelers on the network, even though the arrow is not there. I still use the default stations with the current simulators. When those get overloaded in the red, I have been able to just do away with a duplicate same capacitated station down the line solve the problem, after letting it adjust itself in play.

0rion79

In my map there is even a highway leading to se same location the rail line does. I've seen that, if I DON'T link my rail with adjacent cities, it goes great and sims find employment in the industrial plant that I've created.
If I build another station, the sims become crazy and rails congested.
If I link the highway to other cities, they stop going to the industrial area but move to other cities. I think it is a commuters loop... or maybe commercial jobs are more actractive than industrial ones!!
Anyway, I think I need to change simulator kind because commuters can't see job places: today new PC is coming and maybe with a faster CPU I will have an improved gameplay too...

PS: about congested basic mass transit stops, you too say that, when they get congested, the only solution is to replace them with bigger ones. No way...

z

From what you describe, it sounds like an eternal commuter loop.  You need to check your other cities and see if your Sims are going around in a large circle.  If they are, you need to break the loop.

0rion79

Yes, probably is right.
I think too, but not sure, that the ferries are part of this loop... I can't belive it, but I see a HUGE number of people that are travelling by boat from one edge of the REGIONAL map to the opposite one... it is a region that is built on a riverside.
I was even thinking of destroying all ferries and leaving active only industrial harbours. What do you think?

metasmurf

I have a weird problem with the turning lanes. For some reason I get the turning lane on the wrong side, look:

Same problem occurs with the road turning lanes.

Any ideas?

Edit: I use the euro textures add-on, if that has anything to do with the problem.

Tarkus

metasmurf, are you by chance using the LHD Plugin to fix the issues with some of the OWR Puzzle Pieces?  If so, make sure you've moved it out of the Z_LeftHandPlugin folder and into the main NAM folder.  Right now, it's loading after the standard RHD Turn Lane Textures.

Hope that helps!

-Alex (Tarkus)

metasmurf

I simply removed the left hand plugin and moved the z_eurotextures in to the nam folder, and it got solved. cheers!

choco

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so if it needs moved, please do so. 

I was messing with the NAM bridge controller; specifically, trying to add a RUL for some light rail bridges.  Not having a clue as to what to do, I copied the 0x00001001 RUL and changed the instance ID to 0x0000100c.  Nothing happend, so i swapped the instance ID's of 1001 and 100c (essentially making my RUL the 1001).  when i started drawing heavy rail bridges, here's what i got:

im not quite sure what to think.  is this a maxis bridge that never got RUL'ed?  anyone ever saw it before?

simzebu

I'm no expert on bridges, but that looks like Maxis' standard small metal arch bridge, except the arch isn't working. It looks like it is just repeating the top section of the arch and the support section.
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

nerdly_dood

Yeah - you should definitely congratulate yourself - you officially turned the Maxis steel arch bridge into a work of art by murdering it! :D I oughta try fiddling with modifying existing bridges...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

choco

makes sense.....showed up as a simple bridge when the RUL was missing.  doh!

FrankU

Well, it's a nice bridge! Maybe you can release it for everyone? Or will it screw up the game?

choco

it would cause problems.  it shows like the above because i disabled the controller (RUL) file in the bridge controller.  Therefore, it defaults to what is contained in the exemplar. 

kj3400

I hope this is in the right spot. Please move it if it isn't.
So I was messing around with some network tools in building some infrastructure and I decided to use the street tool to lessen the slope of a hill. All of a sudden I get this!

I'ts not really an issue, but maybe tunnels for the street network were started and not finished?
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

deathtopumpkins

kj3400: I believe that is a byproduct of NAM... I'm not sure, but I've noticed myself that all networks can make tunnels now, but I don't believe the streeet tunnels are functional.

I've got something myself that's also not really a problem, but I noticed it the other day:

Apparently a piece of the Maxis rail Pratt Truss (i think?) bridge is not pathed... I was wondering why no trains were crossing it.
Is there any way this could be fixed? In that instance I just fixed it by moving the embankment one tile closer on the other side.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

ebina

deathtopumpkins: It seems that EA/Maxis forgot to insert path file for that piece. I've looked into SimCity_1.dat and found corresponding path file does not exist. Try attached patch. It would fix that bridge. File can be installed to anywhere of the Plugins folder.

Note for LHD version players - In LHD versions patch will work but trains will run on the right side track of the bridge piece that deathtopumpkins reported. Network INI which is a part of the bridge controller needs to be updated to fix it. Next NAM release will include LHD path for the bridge piece with updated bridge controller.

EDIT: This fix has been merged into the NAM January 2009 release. Removed attached file.

deathtopumpkins

NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Swamper77

Quote from: kj3400 on October 19, 2008, 11:00:26 AM
I hope this is in the right spot. Please move it if it isn't.
So I was messing around with some network tools in building some infrastructure and I decided to use the street tool to lessen the slope of a hill. All of a sudden I get this!

I'ts not really an issue, but maybe tunnels for the street network were started and not finished?

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 19, 2008, 01:30:49 PM
kj3400: I believe that is a byproduct of NAM... I'm not sure, but I've noticed myself that all networks can make tunnels now, but I don't believe the streeet tunnels are functional.

That is caused by a slope mod for the game's networks. The creator of it set the Min Slope for Tunnel property for the street network to the same as the road or one of the other roadway networks. There are no tunnels for the street, elevated rail, or RHW networks. Tunnels are hardcoded into the EXE, whereas bridges are not. There's nothing we can do about this.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!