• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Timed props with Simulator Date Interval greater than 365?

Started by jmelvin, November 29, 2018, 08:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmelvin

Has anyone created props that have a Simulator Date Interval set for 2 or even 3 years instead of just 1 year?

I know we just set this value to 365 days (hex 16D) for an annual change. I'd like to set up some farm fields thaat would have 1 type of cop the first year then "rotate" to a second type of crop for the following year then rotate back to the first crop. This would use a 730 day interval, A three crop rotation could use a 1095 day interval.

I'm not sure how one would go about setting up the RKT4 values to accomplish something like this.where the individual props would have to skip their start dates for the years they're not in use.

fantozzi

Never tried this.

One could set the intervall of the first prop to 1 year (+1 year duration) . and the second 2 years (+1 year duration). The following would happen:

So on first cycle you get:

1. nothing
2. crop 1
3. crop 2

But in the second cycle:

1. crop 1 (now showing up agai, because 2 years did pass)
2. nothing
3. crop 2 + crop 1 at the same time.

third cycle:
1. nothing
2. crop 1
3. crop 2

The problem is years aren't cyclical but counted linear while days and month a cyclical, when they are complete, they start anew, while years are always new ones. So, imho, you have a problem impossible to resolve. As you can't make the cycle sychronius and let ONCE one of them start one year later, so you are forced to make the cycles asynchronous, which mean they will beat in different rythms all the time and conflict periodically.

So imo this can't be resolved because you have no value to define a deferred start but only you can set cycles of different length.

So most probably the problem isn't to make them a longer intervall than a year but to synchronize the cycles of different props.

jmelvin

Quote from: fantozzi on November 30, 2018, 01:54:32 AM

QuoteThe problem is years aren't cyclical but counted linear while days and month a cyclical, when they are complete, they start anew, while years are always new ones. So, imho, you have a problem impossible to resolve. As you can't make the cycle sychronius and let ONCE one of them start one year later, so you are forced to make the cycles asynchronous, which mean they will beat in different rythms all the time and conflict periodically.

So imo this can't be resolved because you have no value to define a deferred start but only you can set cycles of different length.

So most probably the problem isn't to make them a longer intervall than a year but to synchronize the cycles of different props.

I haven't tried this yet but it might be possible by having the props use the same start date but have one use a normal state of being off while the other has a normal state of being on using appropriate Simulator Date Duration values. I think this can be done with appropriate RKT4 values and a Simulator Date Interval of 2 years. Wouldn't the cycle look more like:

year 1:   crop1                 no crop2
year2:    no crop1            crop2                    which finishes the cycle

repeat.