• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Greater Terran Region

Started by Haljackey, December 28, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Replies:

rhythmandjays:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Yes it did take me a while to make it!

dedgren:  Wow, great to hear you like the video!  I try to use the curved puzzle pieces as much as possible, but because most of my cities are heavily urbanized, I don't really get a chance to use them very much.  However, this rural highway interchange was a great place to "extenuate" the curves. 
-I also sent you a PM regarding the video and music.  Feel free to check it out whenever you get a moment.

jmyers2043:  One of the coolest things you have ever seen?  I am overjoyed that you liked the video so much!  Thanks for commenting!

mrtnrln:  I am glad to hear you liked it!  It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth the effort. 

star.torturer:  Thank you very very much!   About the music, the song's name is called "Storming New Caprica" by Bear McCraney.  A lot of his music is included in the new Battlestar Galactica tv series, including this one.
-Oh, and thanks for the "interchange master" comment! I have actually got that a lot!   ;)

caspervg:  Than I will ditto the reply above.  Thanks so much!

klaascornelis:  Man!  It is, isn't it?  Thanks for the comment!

Update Time!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!  I am glad you enjoyed the video!

This update will focus on some urban development.  My SC4 has crashed since my last (photo) update, so I have had to backtrack on the area near the RHW shift and station a bit.  However, developing this area a second time, I have decided to change a few things...

Thus, I have some before/after photos to show, as well as a new massive interchange on the outskirts of the urban area.

Click on the pictures for full resolution!  (1920x1200)

Before.  Note the large rail crossing.

After.  A track was removed and an overpass has been constructed.

Before.  Note the at-grade intersection.

After.  After seeing traffic increase when the area was developed, I decided to put in a 3/4 interchange while I still had room before I developed the area for the second time.  Those who want to enter the RHW northbound must access it it another junction either north or south of the station.

I have slightly modified this on-ramp, making it connect with the new RHW lane shift.

And now a look at the new massive interchange between the region's two major highways.  The main north/south and east/west highways are at least 10 lanes wide with a collector/express system and cut right through the heart of The Greater Terran Region.  The two meet here. 
-Construction is also happening in the vicinity of the interchange.  (Image saved @ 100% quality, so it may take a while to load when clicked on.)

Anyways, thats it for now, but stay tuned for more!

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

Hey "hal" I had a quick scan of that big interchange (the last) and you seem to have about 5 of exactly the same bus/subway station and no other types... you also have 3 NDEX XNE El-Rail stations... all quite close to each other

where I dont really mind this duplication, its not realy reallistic and as there is so many custom mass transit stations to pick from...

and thanks for the music's author, googled him and absolutly nothing came up...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Simpson

Wow your last update is very good cotinu
And the transport networks is incredible  ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Ryan B.

Wow, Haljackey!  Those are some amazing highways!   :thumbsup:

I'll tell ya, you've got more patience than I ever have had building an interchange.

Keep up the excellent work, so that I may approach your level of skill!  :)

MandelSoft

"Infrastructe Overlord" ... the name says it all. Great work, Haljackey!  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Replies:

star.torturer:  ya, I guess you're right  :P.  The area is brand new, so you can expect to see some more variety in the future.
-You got my PM regarding the music and info, right?

Simpson:  Thanks a ton!  Transit networks are my specialty!

burgsabre87:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Yes skill and patience is required to make some of the more massive, complicated interchanges.  I hope these examples help ya!

mrtnrln:  Doesn't it?  Thanks for the comment!

Update Time!

I am glad everyone enjoyed the last update! 

This update will feature a nighttime gallery from some areas in the region, which is growing at an incredible rate!

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution!  1920x1200.  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

The new CBD is shining bright!

The industrial area in the wee hours of the morning.

Looking at the new zoned area.  Its dark for now...

Near the region's main station, high demand is causing the city to build up instead of out.

The power plant glows throughout the night.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this update!  I am new with night lighting, so if anyone has some pointers, I would love to hear some!

Best,
-Haljackey

Haljackey

Hmm... No Replies???

Don't be shy!  I see the view count go up up up but no one seemed to leave a response.

Oh well, I guess my night shots weren't that bad after all...  :P

Update Time!

Steering away from the night photos, lets have a look at a new city that is home to the region's main station.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution!  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

A look at the zoned part of the city.  As you can clearly see, the station makes up a big part of the city's initial area.

A look at a interchange that not only connects highway/highway, but also has direct links to the station.

In the south, another station has been placed for commuters in this area.  Also note the RHW curve error there, it should be fixed in the next version:

Here is a present shot of the city, now developing.

And a zoom out of the city as it looks now:

That's it for now, but more is to come!

Best,
-Haljackey

Tarkus

Haljackey, excellent job on both updates here!  Your cities really look fantastic at night, I must say.  I see you're using Gizmo's Night Mod, too, which makes it even more so.  And you've done even more interesting things with the Avenue Roundabouts as well--that 3rd pic in the "night" update is really clever--you're really taking advantage of the stuff Jonathan (warrior) added in, in ways I wouldn't have thought of. 

As far as the second update goes, that's a lot of Shinkansen and Rail action there (:o), and the last update pic looks absolutely . . .  to coin a portmanteau . . . "bixelicious"? ::)

Looking forward to seeing more amazing infrastructure!

And btw, I usually don't do the whole "full resolution" thing, but I just couldn't resist with some of these latest ones.

-Alex (Tarkus)

klaascornelis

Ha men i just love your intersections. !! great work  &apls

JoeST

Hey Hal ( ;) )

I was just stunned to silence ;)

I dont get the need for the 3 BIG stations? its just a tad confusing... having two passenger stations next to each other

Joe

rhythmandjays

You are a master of interchanges! You sure give your sims a LOT of transit options with that transit hub you've built. Which type of transit do your sims use the most?

Simpson

Wow very good new updat(s) there  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

MandelSoft

Those interchanges are confusing me ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Replies:

Tarkus:  Thanks a lot for your comments!  I didn't even know I did something "out of the ordinary" with that roundabout.
-As for the Shinkansen (I just call it bullet train myself), there is a lot of action going on there.  That new station complex will be the hub of the entire mass-transit network once fully completed.
-And for the "Full Resolution" comment, that option is there if you want to use it.  I highly recommend using it because it shows you exactly what I see in-game.

klaascornelis:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Glad to hear you like the intersections!

JoeST:  Too stunned?  I guess I should lower the voltage of my updates  :P.
-Like I said to Tarkus (Alex), its a station complex, and it is meant to be big.  The reason why those rail stations are close is because the one near the rapid transit station (the really huge one) if for trans-regional connections, and the smaller station east of the highway is for local use.  I hope that clears that up a bit.

rhythmandjays:  Am I?  Thanks a lot!  I do what I can to create a large, versatile transportation network for my sims.  That way dense development can occur without dense traffic jams.
-Its hard to say which transit network is used the most.  Just over half of the sims walk (and most use transit), while a smaller half drive.

Simpson:  Thanks a lot!

mrtnrln:  They are?  Let me try to simplify that big one in this update for ya  :thumbsup:.

Update Time!

I finally have a new update to post!  Sorry for the delay everyone, RL has been killing me and getting a Playstation 3 has not made things any better... GTA IV is just awesome!

I have a smaller update this time, but quite an interesting one!

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution!  See my picture information section on the first update of this page for more info.

These two photos are mainly here for mrtnrln's comment, but that doesn't mean everyone can't have a look:
-This is a breakdown of that huge multi-highway interchange for northbound traffic.

1.  Discrete interchanges for collector and express lanes. (No transfers.)
Light Red:  Collector lanes (outer lanes)
Dark Red: Express lanes (inner lanes)

2.  Full connectivity.  (With transfers.)  Since this involves both collector and express lanes, colour coding is not necessary.

A new city museum has finally opened in the south end of town.  Much of the art community and tourism board have been pushing the city to build one, and build the city did.

A look at some new road alignments as the gap between the two cities (Downtown and Terran Settlement) gets shorter and shorter.  Soon the urban area of both cities will meet, and Terran Settlement will become a part of the civic metropolitan area.

A central look at the new interchange joining the avenue to the RHW.  It has gotten quite busy recently, as more and more sims are commuting between cities.
-Also note the new RHW texture.  I am not too sure if I will keep these, because there are texture problems with the diagonal pieces and smooth curves.

Anyways, I told you it would be short... Stay tuned for the next update!

Best,
-Haljackey

warconstruct

splendid work on the networks of infrastructure ! very beautiful city !

Hasten to see your next update .

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

Earth quake

Nice Work and Nice interchanger Haljackey, go on your splendid region.

Haljackey

Replies:

warconstruct: Thanks a ton for all your comments!   :thumbsup:

Earth quake:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Glad you like the interchanges! :D

Update Time!  The Beauty of the city

This update features a ton of close-up shots of Terran Settlement, The Greater Terran Region's first settlement.  Only recently has dense development occurred here, as it was mainly a large forest to begin with.  Thus, a lot of forested areas and parks are in the city, making the city appear very green.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution! (1920x1200)

A residential park surrounded by high rises.

The completed sunken highway entrance.

Rapid transit switching station, a major transfer point.

Pristine buildings overlook the sunken highway:

The Gainsborough flyway:

Gainsborough Bridge.

Bridge decent.  To the east is city hall.

A resident's quadrant. 
-Note the HOV lanes.

The one-ways here get traffic moving in this location, which divides commercial from residential.

Who said repeating buildings don't look good?

Two bullet train lines = double capacity!

Raised roads cross over the dense forests below.

CBD entrance:

I hope you enjoyed this update!  I don't post close-ups too often, but its a great way to showcase the city!

Best,
-Haljackey

Manny

Oh ! The MD are very interresting  :thumbsup: ! There are too many sky-scrapers as me, but nature is also present! There is transport a lot, it is a good thing  :thumbsup: !

JoeST

Hey Hal, thanks very much for the update

it was very nice

can I comments on the way you post:

I dont think it is nesecary to post the information about your images in every post... if you just put it in the OP and updated it when needed I think it would be better ;)

Joe

Haljackey

Replies:

Manny:  Glad you are enjoying it!  Thanks for your comment!  There are a lot of skyscrapers in this area, mainly because I zone dense 100% of the time.  That way, the sims can decide what to put there.

JoeST:  Hey, thanks a lot! 
-About my picture information, I post that on the first update for every page, not every update.  It just happened to appear there because it was the first update on this page.  Further updates on this page will not have a picture information section.  Does that make sense?

Update Time! 

I have a special video update for you today!  It is another UDI video, as I showcase some of the roads in the city of Terran Settlement.  It gets a little too dark at the end, and I am sorry about that.  Future videos will not include the darker night time mod that I use. 

-A high-quality video is linked to this post.  Just click on the file and it should play on your default media player.

A Youtube video box should appear below.  If you can't see it or are having problems, follow the link below it.  Make sure you turn up your speakers!

http://www.youtube.com/v/PYfcbMQZAao&hl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfcbMQZAao

Best,
-Haljackey