• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Backing up threads/topics

Started by JoeST, August 06, 2008, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

I have a script that will download each page of a thread (from ST at the moment) and saves the html in a txt file

I also have a script that will make a simple HTML table of all the posts in a downloaded file.

I am offering, to anyone, for free, this service.

Just post here with a link to the first page of the thread, the number of pages in said thread and (if aplicable) permission from the author of the thread.

I have already done David's (dedgren) CJ, Three Rivers Region and the results will be appearing in the 3RR-ST board in the 3RR section of this site :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Haljackey

Ah, so that's what David is doing in those new ST 3RR threads!   ::)

Would you be able to do this for my CJ at Simtropolis?  (The Greater Terran Region).  Although I am now updating it here, the MD is missing dozens and dozens of updates that I just don't have time to bring over.  If you would be able to save it as a html file, that would be wonderful!

You can find the start of the thread here:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=36&threadid=95625&enterthread=y
-Since I am the author, I grant you premission  :P

I think another good one to do would be the RHW thread at ST.  However, the author (qurlix) has not been active for some time so I don't know how you can get authorization.  The link is here:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=124&threadid=67624&enterthread=y

Good luck! 

Best,
-Haljackey

Edit:  You're right, I did forget the number of pages.  It is currently 31 pages long.

JoeST

You forgot a vital part... the number of pages :D, but as its my first i will forgive you  $%Grinno$%

I will leave the RHW thread until there is some "higher" authentication...but your CJ is coming right as I type this :)

... Done, in less than 2 mins :)

now I just need to get the parser to write to files :)

Joe

Edit: WOOO my parser works too :)

JoeST

Hey Hal, thanks for being my test subject  ::) $%Grinno$%

I got you that backup you wanted, dont know how to get it you tho

and as a bonus for being my first customer (and a request by CasperVg ;)) I got your Show Us Your Interchanges thread as well :) Downloaded and  parsed in under 2 mins :o

Joe

Haljackey

Quote from: JoeST on August 06, 2008, 02:57:32 PM

and as a bonus for being my first customer (and a request by CasperVg ;)) I got your Show Us Your Interchanges thread as well :)

:angrymore: What?  Without my permission?  :bomb: I am the author of that thread! %bur2$

Nah, thanks!  :P  Glad to see that you are having luck with it. 

You don't know how to get it to me???   $%Grinno$%  Just take your time with it.   ;)

Great work!   :thumbsup:

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

while i am at it, do you want your Multi-RHW Guide? :D

and yeah i got yours, but only for personal use...  :P

so, like email you it?

* JoeST waits for a customer  :)

Joe

Jonathan

* A customer arrives *

You probably never heard of backing up these threads before this post ;D

You know you could backup the Discovery threads in the Modding - R&D board.

All 2 pages long except the RUL and SC4Paths which has 6.

Jonathan

JoeST

Hey Jon

guess what.... I was just looking at those threads :D

I will get you then asap.

Joe

deathtopumpkins

I know this thread's kinda dead...

but another customer is here if you're still open. There are several private threads on Simtropolis that I would like to have an html copy of, if you could. I can give you links, pages, etc., but you'll need to be added to the member list first, which I can't do, as I didn't start the threads, though I have permission to back them up.

Tell me if you're willing to do it and I'll give you links.

Thanks,
DTP
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

JoeST

yeah I will back them up, I just have to find the script and get it up and running, might be a few days before i am ready :)

joe

deathtopumpkins

OK, thanks! That's fine. I'll have you added to the member lists and PM you the links then.

EDIT: Joe, what's your username on ST? I can't seem to find you...

JoeST

deathtopumpkins

JoeST

oh, just realised, i wont beable to auto back up... due to my script acting as a guest...

if you want the parsing thing, then i would suggest saving them individualy as full html and i can then run them through the parsing script as a batch ;)

JoeST

Right, I am back and ready for business.

I have a bash script that downloads each page of a topic from ST, and a py script that splits them (roughly) into posts. I can skim for particular postser's contributions too. It currently backs up the whole thread as pages (to `./pages/page_#`), and then can split each page into posts (`./posts/post_#-$AUTH` in html not just the post content) and can filter out only those by a specific author.

Any particular threads anyone wants?

Joe