• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Marrast M-TEL lots: how to use?

Started by tomvsotis, August 29, 2017, 12:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

A weirdly specific and perhaps somewhat obscure question, but here goes...

Does anyone know how to use Marrast's M-TEL lots properly? Specifically, does anyone know how to get them to align to slopes?

In the (tiny) picture from the readme, the lot rises nicely up a slope:

But whenever I try to plop it, it refuses to do anything of the sort:

Marrast is obv long gone; is there anyone around these days who still uses these, and if so, can you tell me how to get them to work? It's kinda driving me nuts

eggman121

Marrast's M-TEL Lots only like flat surfaces.

So I would start with a flat surface and dig in the middle.

I think the preview arrow has to point outwards as well.

-eggman121

tomvsotis

hmmm, ok. i'll see how that goes. so you reckon the upward slope in the preview pic is a property of the lot itself...?

woodb3kmaster

There is no upward slope on the lot; the avenue slopes down toward the tunnel entrance.  The M-TEL lots are designed to be plopped on the slopes next to this ramp, so that they hide the slopes.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

tomvsotis

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on August 29, 2017, 04:15:51 PM
There is no upward slope on the lot; the avenue slopes down toward the tunnel entrance.  The M-TEL lots are designed to be plopped on the slopes next to this ramp, so that they hide the slopes.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see what you mean!!! sorry, it all makes sense now. it's super hard to tell from that tiny picture. i figured the avenue was flat and the lots were sloping up :-/

thanks both for your help!

woodb3kmaster

No problem; it's hard to tell which way anything slopes in SC4 screenshots, so your misunderstanding is perfectly reasonable. Have fun with the lots!

Nuclear City - 5/8

tomvsotis

brick_mortimer

Quote from: eggman121 on August 29, 2017, 02:04:10 PM

-eggman121

So, if I understand correctly, you place the M-TEL lots first and than dig for the tunnel?
And I can place pultiple M-TEL lots in line if I want a longer approach for my tunnel?

I tried using them in the past, but gave up because I coulnd't get them to work and they weren't 'essential' in the city I was building.

@tomvsotis: thanks for asking!
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

matias93

Quote from: brick_mortimer on August 30, 2017, 04:00:51 AM
Quote from: eggman121 on August 29, 2017, 02:04:10 PM

-eggman121

So, if I understand correctly, you place the M-TEL lots first and than dig for the tunnel?
And I can place pultiple M-TEL lots in line if I want a longer approach for my tunnel?

I tried using them in the past, but gave up because I coulnd't get them to work and they weren't 'essential' in the city I was building.

@tomvsotis: thanks for asking!

You cannot put them in line because they are transit enabled lots, they cannot transfer traffic from themselves to another lot directly; they need a compatible network going between them.
I tried it too, and it didn't work.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: brick_mortimer on August 30, 2017, 04:00:51 AM

No, that method would destroy the M-TEL lots. You'd have to dig the tunnel approach first, then plop the M-TEL lots on top of the slopes next to it. matias93 is also correct; because M-TELs are transit-enabled lots, they can't be plopped in line without at least one cell between them.

Nuclear City - 5/8

brick_mortimer

Ok, I see.
I don't remember exactly what I tried in the past, but I don't think I've tried putting them on the 'sloped' / diagonal part of the slope
(what a sentence  :))

Too bad you can't link them because 13 tiles (210m) is pretty short if you want to descend 15m.
Although I can imagine such steep slopes in an inner-city environment with limited space.

Thanks for the help, I'll start experimenting tonight :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good