• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

MouseBats

Started by Jmouse, September 13, 2012, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark7

You sound like me.  I have a modest but up-kept house, and yet not 50 feet from my backdoor is a house that has most of 2 walls gone.  And I really wish the owners would just tear it down.  &mmm

There definitely is not a monopoly on slums anywhere in the world.  The only thing that differs from place to place is the kind of dwellings that make up the slums.

At any rate, keep up the good work.  Your trailers are wanted and your newest cabin will be a nice addition too.  I could actually see using that cabin in in many settings, such as a swamp or as a hunting cabin.  :thumbsup:

Jmouse

I've been working on the cabin nightlighting today, and hope I have solved the problem I had a couple of days ago. Or at least come close. There are times when light reflected on a wall would be OK, but in the case of rough-hewn logs, it looks peculiar at best. So I've done a little experimenting today.

Fig. 01 shows that (I hope) I solved part of the problem by darkening the deck boards, but it still looks like a weathered deck. In fact, used my own deck as a model. North 01 and East 01 show the glare on the wall, and the last two images show the result of moving some lights around a bit.

Shark7, I plan to lot the cabins as parks, because I visualize them in rather remote settings. I'll try to lot one of them in the next few days to illustrate how I hope they will look.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome... :)
-Joan

Swordmaster

Dogged does it, my friend! How much better do you want it to get? :)

I'm anxious to see that lot you have up your sleeve.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

The latest lighting is looking great Joan  &apls &apls  Looks awful close to perfect to tell the truth.

@sunv123 -- There's some great low-wealth housing on the LEX from SFBT--a whole series of quality housing blocks in a perfectly dreary commie style. I don't have LEX access from my work computer so I can't post a link at this time but a power search should bring them up pretty easy--almost at the end of the SFBT stuff if I remember right. Off the top of my head I'm not remembering what else there is and I guess it depends on the style you're looking for.

Shark7

Just a thought Jmouse, but the cabins might also be good candidates for a Mayor Mode Ploppable, since they would look great in a remote setting.  Granted I have no idea how one goes about MMPs or how difficult it might be to accomplish.

noahclem

Quote from: Shark7 on December 14, 2012, 08:38:56 AM
Just a thought Jmouse, but the cabins might also be good candidates for a Mayor Mode Ploppable, since they would look great in a remote setting.  Granted I have no idea how one goes about MMPs or how difficult it might be to accomplish.

Having an MMP option (alongside a LOT) is a good idea. The only problem with turning these into MMPs is that MMPs can't have nightlights, at least as far as I understand it.

Swordmaster

If the lot is a park, it's not necessary to make it an MMP. Parks can be placed anywhere and don't need road access. MMPs should be used for things you want to place on lots, or in tight places where lots don't fit. Not much use for one that has almost a 1x1 size.

Cheers
Willy

Jmouse

Quote from: mrbisonm on December 12, 2012, 08:14:56 PM
I only hope that you remember where you parked your BAT..... ;) lol

So do I, Fred. So do I. :D

Quote from: Shark7 on December 13, 2012, 12:11:11 PM
At any rate, keep up the good work.  Your trailers are wanted and your newest cabin will be a nice addition too.  I could actually see using that cabin in in many settings, such as a swamp or as a hunting cabin.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Shark7. I'll be starting back to work on the trailers tomorrow.

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 13, 2012, 06:14:16 PM
Dogged does it, my friend! How much better do you want it to get? :)

I'm anxious to see that lot you have up your sleeve.

Cheers
Willy

Glad you stopped by, Willy, and thanks for the compliment. Even a cockeyed perfectionist like me has to know when to quit. It's easy to keep finding tiny details to fix, but there's a very thin line between getting things right and overworking things.

Quote from: noahclem on December 14, 2012, 03:14:07 AM
The latest lighting is looking great Joan  &apls &apls  Looks awful close to perfect to tell the truth.

Thank you, Noah.

When I get that lot finished, it will give you a better idea of how the cabin will be used. As for MMPs and nightlighting, what about streetlights and such? Aren't they MMPs?

noahclem

QuoteWhen I get that lot finished, it will give you a better idea of how the cabin will be used. As for MMPs and nightlighting, what about streetlights and such? Aren't they MMPs?

I'm looking forward to seeing the lot  :thumbsup:  As for streetlights, they are either T21 props when they appear normally on roads or their own lots with transparent base textures when they are plopped at will. I think Willy is right that MMPs wouldn't make sense, though perhaps a 1x1 park lot like he mentioned could make sense. Anyway, keep up the great work!

EDIT: After reading Theresa's comment it occurred to me that this would look outstanding as a snowy model.

rambuckel

That cabin looks great Joan! There's just Santa missing flying by with his rendeer-sleigh :)
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

nbvc

Great work with the cabin. :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Something just isn't working right in the game, PIM-X and other elements. I just hope my computer isn't planning to go on a Christmas vacation. Anyway, here's a quick lot I made with the old cabin that will give you an idea of what I have in mind. Cars and trucks will not be allowed in the park. Guests will be able to choose between walking or riding in a golf-cart type vehicle. Or, if they wish, they can be transported via horse and buggy for a small fee.

Quote from: noahclem on December 15, 2012, 12:38:23 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the lot  :thumbsup:  As for streetlights, they are either T21 props when they appear normally on roads or their own lots with transparent base textures when they are plopped at will. I think Willy is right that MMPs wouldn't make sense, though perhaps a 1x1 park lot like he mentioned could make sense. Anyway, keep up the great work!

EDIT: After reading Theresa's comment it occurred to me that this would look outstanding as a snowy model.

Thanks for clearing that up, Noah. Actually, I wondered about it because I was thinking of putting a security light near each cabin. As for the snowy model, I don't know how it's done, but I'll try and find someone to enlighten me.

Quote from: rambuckel on December 15, 2012, 01:31:33 AM
That cabin looks great Joan! There's just Santa missing flying by with his rendeer-sleigh :)

Thank you, Theresa. I could make two state park sets I guess, one with snow and one without. But as I told Noah, I'll have to find out how to do the snowy thing first.

Quote from: nbvc on December 15, 2012, 02:03:19 AM
Great work with the cabin. :thumbsup:

Thank you. :)

threestooges

Quote from: Jmouse on December 14, 2012, 04:39:18 PM
As for MMPs and nightlighting, what about streetlights and such? Aren't they MMPs?
Streetlights are props. Mayor mode plops (MMPs) are slightly different, though I've not yet analyzed how they are made.

Streetlights as you see them on the transit networks are props that a t21 file references and instructs the game to place them in a pattern. The same result can be accomplished with any model really, as that's all the lights are: props. I would have to double check, but I believe the light that appears on the road would need to be a second prop t21 since there isn't any light shining in the game, only on the model (which, the street and light are two different things so the light wouldn't know the street was there, if that makes sense).

I believe a MMP should be able to be nightlighted (nightlit? lit at night? eh whatever) in the same way as any other model.

Snowy models are a set of timed props: one for the summer, and one with snow added to the model for winter. It's similar to the way seasonal trees are made. I've not yet made a timed prop, but I do recall having seen tutorials. Perhaps they can give you a start.

As for the issues you're facing Joan, what's not being done in the way it's supposed to be?
-Matt

Swordmaster

MMPs, technically, are flora, like the Maxis trees. They can be made by PIM-X with some additional modding in reader. David has a very thorough and clear tutorial on that in 3RR. I don't know about nightlights, though. It would not seem logical to get lights out of flora, but knowing maxis, one can expect anything. Worth a test, maybe.

And speaking of MMPs, that scene looks pretty!

Cheers
Willy

mrbisonm

Ok, That's it, move along everyone, I am moving in. Looks ........cozy!

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

whatevermind

Excellent looking cabin, and not a bad nature scene to match!

As to MMPs, they are flora, however I'm thinking nightlighting might be possible by using RKT4 instead of RKT1, similar to seasonal flora, except on a day/night time rotation. You would need a different "night" model though, with the light always on in that model, because traditional BAT nightlights probably wouldn't work. Just a thought, haven't ever tried it.

As for slums, marcszar has some great buildings, many of which are low wealth (LEX?), and also check out goofyguytpa on the STEX, too.

:)

Jmouse

The first trailer has lights now. I am debating about a few minor details, though. Should I close the front door? Should I add any more lighted windows? Is there anything else I need to add or remove?

Quote from: threestooges on December 16, 2012, 01:23:55 AM
Streetlights as you see them on the transit networks are props that a t21 file references and instructs the game to place them in a pattern. The same result can be accomplished with any model really, as that's all the lights are: props. I would have to double check, but I believe the light that appears on the road would need to be a second prop t21 since there isn't any light shining in the game, only on the model (which, the street and light are two different things so the light wouldn't know the street was there, if that makes sense).

I believe a MMP should be able to be nightlighted (nightlit? lit at night? eh whatever) in the same way as any other model.

Snowy models are a set of timed props: one for the summer, and one with snow added to the model for winter. It's similar to the way seasonal trees are made. I've not yet made a timed prop, but I do recall having seen tutorials. Perhaps they can give you a start.

As for the issues you're facing Joan, what's not being done in the way it's supposed to be?
-Matt

I found a tute on creating timed props, but nothing about snow per se. I'll keep looking.

In game, I kept getting a small symbol that had four arrows on it, and it made movement go crazy. I was all over the tile, and I couldn't get the lot to turn by using the Home and End keys. The only way I could get out of it was to click, and that plopped the cabin in a place where I didn't want it, and an angle I didn't like.

Photobucket has changed its format recently, but it has worked well for me and it isn't difficult to figure out. But yesterday, when I tried to drag and drop my composite, I got a full-screen image of it as though it was displayed in Win. Photo Viewer. But it wasn't – there was no normal "frame" and no diminish, full screen or X buttons to be seen.

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 16, 2012, 07:00:38 AM
MMPs, technically, are flora, like the Maxis trees. They can be made by PIM-X with some additional modding in reader. David has a very thorough and clear tutorial on that in 3RR. I don't know about nightlights, though. It would not seem logical to get lights out of flora, but knowing maxis, one can expect anything. Worth a test, maybe.

And speaking of MMPs, that scene looks pretty!

Cheers
Willy

This has turned into an interesting and informative discussion. As for the lot, I thank you for your comment. I don't consider myself much of a lot maker, though.

Quote from: mrbisonm on December 16, 2012, 10:07:52 AM
Ok, That's it, move along everyone, I am moving in. Looks ........cozy!

Fred

:D Thanks for stopping by, Fred.

Quote from: whatevermind on December 16, 2012, 05:26:27 PM
Excellent looking cabin, and not a bad nature scene to match!

As to MMPs, they are flora, however I'm thinking nightlighting might be possible by using RKT4 instead of RKT1, similar to seasonal flora, except on a day/night time rotation. You would need a different "night" model though, with the light always on in that model, because traditional BAT nightlights probably wouldn't work. Just a thought, haven't ever tried it.

As for slums, marcszar has some great buildings, many of which are low wealth (LEX?), and also check out goofyguytpa on the STEX, too.

:)

Thank you.

I see nothing wrong with a security light that burns all the time. Here it's possible to lease one from the power company, and they will install it. There are light bulbs on the market now which are very energy efficient but bright enough to light up an average yard. I have a couple of them over my stove. They are quite bright but use only 5 watts of electricity, and they are guaranteed for five years. Outside we have floodlights with motion sensors.

It would be great to have some security lights in game. The cabin fits on a 1x2 lot, so would I have to have a lot next to it in order to have a security light?

Simcoug

I just wanted to say you are doing some neat work on the cabin and trailer - they will be quite useful for us rural builders  :thumbsup:

as to your question regarding the door - I would say keep it shut since I'm guessing that doors remain closed about 98% of the time. Although maybe this one needs some WD40.  :D

mrbisonm

Could someone please shut the door, it's cold outside. There's a draft in the bedroom and my toes are curling....

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

noahclem

Great looking scene in the last update Joan  &apls  It does a very good job showing off the usefulness of your BAT. The trailer and its new lights look perfect, though I'll also vote for a closed door  :thumbsup: