• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on February 27, 2017, 05:58:59 PM
Looks to me like there would of been enough room for narrower, but possible double left turn lanes in this setup, just using the room where the shoulders are. If it is going to be single lane, I could of seen a set of diagonal hatch lines crossing out the place where the other lane would of existed. 

Type 230 is on the short term plans for things to add after the initial release, so the dual lefts are coming for the triple-tile networks.  You'll be seeing a lot of them after NAM 36 comes out.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Now that is totally awesome.   &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Only one question, will adding transit enable lots/parking close to the FLT intersections will it be affected derogatory?

Kitsune

And .. are asymmetric intersections going to be supported (ie AVE6 on one side ... RD6 on the other. Or AVE4 on one side, AVE2 on the other)?
~ NAM Team Member

AsimPika3172

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

AWESOME TURN LANE EVER!!!!

Make my city was so beautiful!  :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words!  Part 3 of the preview videos will be posted here fairly soon.  Now to cover a couple questions:

Quote from: dyoungyn on February 27, 2017, 06:31:04 PM
Only one question, will adding transit enable lots/parking close to the FLT intersections will it be affected derogatory?

It depends a lot on the particular setup, and if it creates any adjacency situations that aren't covered by the current codebase.  If you have the connection far enough out, you could potentially build a turn lane into the parking lot, but if it's connecting mid-turn lane as one is approaching the main intersection, then it will break the override.  Partial "RIRO" ("Right In-Right Out") intersections that will not interrupt the override are planned for a later release, however.

Since it brings up another inevitable question--whether or not road-top TE Lots will play nice with the FTLs--the answer, at present, is no, because those lots effectively stop the override in its tracks.

Quote from: Kitsune on February 28, 2017, 06:14:06 AM
And .. are asymmetric intersections going to be supported (ie AVE6 on one side ... RD6 on the other. Or AVE4 on one side, AVE2 on the other)?

The details are still being worked out there as to what can and will be supported, but it is being looked into.

-Alex

j-dub

Tarkus, I heard what you said, but I had to conceptualize it. While your work may resemble something else, this is the signal setup I saw on the road today with the same setup intersection build. While the practice seems to be they put cement in-between instead, I like how the double yellow line looks there. Not sure if your intersection builds were intentional with making this wider,

(concept art only)

Tarkus

My current prototype on the Type 230 actually keeps the shoulder lane on there, and there is a bit of a shift with the overall lane width.  These textures are actually based off stuff I was playing around with for a prototype for a potential future NWM network.

Put the disclaimer in there just in case.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Looks great.  My only current complain about dual turning lanes is not dual for AVE6/7.  Great job and the wait will be well worth it.  Thank you again for sharing. &hlp

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 01, 2017, 05:31:29 AM
My only current complain about dual turning lanes is not dual for AVE6/7.  Great job and the wait will be well worth it.  Thank you again for sharing. &hlp

The main priority for this first phase was just to ensure that as much of the previous TuLEP system functionality was covered by the FTLs as possible (and it looks like we'll be covering all of it). 

The Type 230 setups (dual left in RHD/dual right in LHD) are at the top of the list for NAM 37.  There's also a little surprise with their implementation, which gives them a boost over the Type 130 setups . . . more on that after we finish NAM 36.  I'm excited about them, too.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Fully understand and thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to benefit us all.  NAM36 is really going to be out of this world update and thank you again for keeping SC4 going.   &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn--appreciate the support as always! :thumbsup:

And here's the third part of the FTL preview.  Certain folks who are still sort of mad at us for doing things to certain older features may sort of like us again after this.  In any case, hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/v/DeDNgIAP6ec

-Alex

Gugu3

dyoungyn

Alex,

I did not realize the default maxis road and ave crossings in general were being killed.  I.E. when one is laying out the road network during the design phase, one would not be able to cross road/oneway/ave4/ave6(7) networks as a default?

I still think FLT (Spin up the FTL, (Battlestar)) is still going to be GREAT addition to annoying non cooperative puzzle pieces. 

As a side note, I personally still enjoy the RHW ramp puzzle pieces especially for simplicity but also predictable slop behavior that I am so use to; only hope those don't go away :D 

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 02, 2017, 07:12:37 AM
I did not realize the default maxis road and ave crossings in general were being killed.  I.E. when one is laying out the road network during the design phase, one would not be able to cross road/oneway/ave4/ave6(7) networks as a default?

The default Maxis crossings aren't going anywhere.  The old automatic Road Turning Lanes plugin, however, has been "semi-automatic" for awhile now, however, because it interfered with the NWM and then Draggable FAR and Draggable Road Viaducts, and we don't really encourage people to use the old automatic Avenue Turning Lanes plugin, due to its interference with Draggable Avenue Viaducts (and it'd interfere with the FTLs, too).

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 02, 2017, 07:12:37 AM
As a side note, I personally still enjoy the RHW ramp puzzle pieces especially for simplicity but also predictable slop behavior that I am so use to; only hope those don't go away :D

We won't be getting rid of them entirely, but they'll likely get the same treatment as the old puzzle-based height transitions (an separate, non-default option in the installer), and we won't be adding any more of them.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Thank you for the explanation.  The only reason I brought up about the default is I have gotten use to drawing the networks out then destroying the intersections with TLUPs.  Regardless, the FTLs are going to similar only better. 

Understand fully and I and I am sure as others, agree about height transitions and such. 

Thank you again for all you and the entire NAM do to keep this game alive and well. 

Tarkus

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words and support for the FTL preview videos! :thumbsup:

We're starting to get farther down the stretch here . . . I'm presently working on the Rail/etc. crossings for the Type 130 setups, and now have a working template for dealing with the override-based crossings, with the completion of the code for the Single-Track Rail (STR) support:

The bulk of the RUL2 code for the FTLs (currently sitting at about 67,000 lines) is actually for these sorts of crossings, mainly as there's so many adjacencies to consider, and I'm trying to futureproof things, to handle future FTL setups.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Now that is cool. 

What would be even cooler if Elevated Rail L2 over AVE6/7 at this point near the intersection or anywhere on AVE6/7.

Quote from: Tarkus on March 04, 2017, 03:02:32 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words and support for the FTL preview videos! :thumbsup:

We're starting to get farther down the stretch here . . . I'm presently working on the Rail/etc. crossings for the Type 130 setups, and now have a working template for dealing with the override-based crossings, with the completion of the code for the Single-Track Rail (STR) support:

The bulk of the RUL2 code for the FTLs (currently sitting at about 67,000 lines) is actually for these sorts of crossings, mainly as there's so many adjacencies to consider, and I'm trying to futureproof things, to handle future FTL setups.

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Wow! Awesome!!!  &apls &apls &apls Elevated rail crossing over closed into intersection was so nice!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I like it!  :bnn:
I loves Sim City forever!

dyoungyn

Alex,

Great and amazing Maxis Elevated Rail can do as such. 

I was referring to Rail Viaduct.  Right now, what I am doing is converting AVE6/7 to RHW6C for a short period then back to AVE6/7.

I am not sure if this has already been so graciously accomplished and if so, what about over the Flex Turning Lane(s), i.e. ERRRW?

dyoungyn