• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Badsim's testing ground .

Started by Badsim, October 01, 2009, 04:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badsim

Welcome to my laboratory ,

As the title of this thread suggest it , this is the place where , while The Triumphal Way progresses will be shown in the main thread , I'll show my LotEditing work & experiments  , giving you more informations , requesting opinions , advices or/and help if necessary .

This project will start from Place de la Concorde to radiate then to the Champs Elysées on the left and Tuileries'garden on the right .
This is the last picture of Place de la Concorde I was working on  , with the available material - textures and props -  :

After have debated  with David and Vincent , we finally decided that the best way to be accurate and to present a right scaled version of Place de la Concorde is to BAT it -  esplanades and roadways as props , taking as example what Porkissimo did with Eglise de la Madeleine , or xannepan with Gare du Nord :

That's current David's work , while Vincent re-exports his  Concorde's props , better scaled and HD . The London Eye ( Yoder ) was just a test , but is obviously too big for that use , just like that obelisk from Antoine . I'm going to use the one Vincent has made for this project ...

So , the draft above is just good enough for the trash can ...

That other outdated picture show another great improvement coming just at time from mrtnrln : http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=22506

His french Mod for traffic lights ( thank you very much ) is good enough to match these Maxime (citymax )'s parisian props ...

citymax's pack is available here ; http://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads.php?view=1569 .

Waiting for Concorde's props from David & Vincent , I'm currently working the area between Place de la Concorde and the Seine :

A lot of difficulties and some compromises in perspective with MAXIS' avenues as the real ones around the Place de la  Concorde are one-way avenues ...

I would need several things to get a better result :

- Some better houseboat models ... Hey Derry ( TTC ) ! I need that beauty urgently ! ( and some others , if possible ... )

- That water Mod to represent the Seine , with a zero transparency ( David is working on it ) :

I have also started the LotEditing of Hotel de Crillon ...

« Batiments de la Concorde » From  Debussyman , on the LEX .

Last precision , but not the smaller one , I didn't go to Paris since at least 15 years ... Thanks to the Web , I'm going to work with GoogleEarth , Paris3D  from  Lespagesjaunes.fr and all pictures I can find browsing the Web ... if you have any interesting links , or personal good and detailed pictures of the concerned places along the Axis , thanks to let me know .

I'm also writing  a tutorial about how to get a full scene under a bridge ( Textures and props , but no transit )

To the next .

Cédric .

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

TheTeaCat

Quite the project you got going here ;)

Ah yes the canal barges. Well there's a slight problem concerning that particular model. It was on a hdd that crashed &mmm
but all is not lost ;D

Paul (Paroch) has a copy that I gave him as a pressie for his md so I shoot him a pm and hopefully I can get a copy of it for you.
And I am still trying to finish some new ones I've started ::) :D

I look forward to seeing what you you do next.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Fabian93

First:
Your eye to detail is unbelievable  &apls
I'm really looking forward to the progress of this project  :thumbsup:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=48.865556~2.321111&style=h&lvl=16&sp=Point.48.865556_2.321111_landmark___

Just click on "Birds eye view" (or however it is called in your language).
I think it can be quite helpful if the normal view or the street view of Google don't show everything and you need to have a better view on it.
I guess you already knew that site, but just in case you didn't.

Good luck,

Fabian

Badsim

Thanks Derry , for these firstly sad ... and then excellent news !  ;D :thumbsup:

Fabian , I'm having a look to your link ... it seems there's a program to install to get the 3D view , I'm in the process to install it , but the 2D view with a lot of informations is already a must to have .  :thumbsup:
Well , with these modern tools , it would be better to say that my patience is unbelievable !  ;D

Thank you both , very much !  :thumbsup:

Cédric

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Pat

Cedric I am interested and most captivated for sure what you got going on here!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

vnaoned

I'm still asking myself if there is a Mod that supress all the props on a traffic lot (I mean : lamps, flora... ) without having to modify the T21 properties?

I find rather easier to use the LE than to obtain a random assembly of props I can't choose. Has anyone heard about a such thing?

PS : I'm really interested in this "no transparancy" Mod you're on, David... Really...  ;D

Badsim

There's indeed a NoJunk Mod from Pegasus ( Stex ) . I intended to use it there ( I've got it since a long time , sleeping out my Plugins Folder ) but , and I don't know why , it doesn't work properly anymore .... it simply changes these $$ streetlamps to the $ ones , those in wood , beurk !  :D
When I tried it , years ago , it was working fine ... ::)

Nice to see you there , finally ...  ;D

Badsim

How to get a full eye-candy ( Textures and props , but no transit )  scene under a bridge .

To illustrate that tutorial , I'm going to use the scene shown above .
This is the original scene , just like you can get it with normal Lots :

The first technique to apply is re-sizing a Lot . Of course , that needs you have taken care of the orientation of the Lot to re-size ... In that case :

To extend under the bridge , this Lot has to be re-sized for 2 tiles more ,

Now , you can add the corresponding base textures & overlays ,

An then , add the props you want to get under the bridge ;

Use the « Save » button , quit LE and launch SC4 , this is the immediate result you'll get :

The new base textures & overlays are appearing automatically on the extension , but , as you can see , not the added props  .

That's time to apply the second technique . That technique has been discovered and used first by Paul (Squidi) in his  geat MD « Orlach » .

Save your scene like it is before to go to the regional view where you'll find the graphic settings .

Change them from  « High » to « Low » . The game needing to be re-started to make these changes effective , re-start it , load your scene . Save again your scene whith graphic settings as « Low » , then go to change them back to « High » . Quit and re-start again the game , and , as a miracle ...

... the new props are here .

Note :
This method only works for adding props , it doesn't work for the removal or  positioning changes of  any props .

You can use these techniques for many other uses , according to your imagination .

Thanks to Paul , I miss him and his spectacular  Orlach  , which I invite you to visit here , among the  archived MDs ; http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2865.0

To the next .

Cédric .

WC_EEND

thanks for this useful tutorial, although it actually looks like the boats are floating in the air
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

vnaoned

Thanks to. I knew there was a method for the props... But I could not find it again..  ;)

Sciurus

Thanks a lot for this tutorial Vincent &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Bobbi

WOW! LE is a wonderful tool really. $%Grinno$%

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

jeronij

Quite interesting tutorial C  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡ . I'll keep an eye here to see how you deal with the houseboats placement on water... something which has always been a problem for me...  ::)  $%Grinno$%  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

BarbyW

Quote from: Badsim on October 02, 2009, 01:06:51 PM
There's indeed a NoJunk Mod from Pegasus ( Stex ) . I intended to use it there ( I've got it since a long time , sleeping out my Plugins Folder ) but , and I don't know why , it doesn't work properly anymore .... it simply changes these $$ streetlamps to the $ ones , those in wood , beurk !  :D
When I tried it , years ago , it was working fine ... ::)

Nice to see you there , finally ...  ;D

I don't have the No Junk mod any more but wondered if you had downloaded PEG-MTP_RuralStreetLight_2A58-Replacement_100. That mod replaces the low wealth lamp posts with wooden ones.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Pat

Cedric what about off set the props?? Would that work to give the appearance of being in the water at all or would that be to much of a pain in the boat lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

citymax

Nice job, but to me, I don't like the docks :( the texture isn't adequate to me), have you received my props ?

Une_ame

What you've done is amazing &apls.

I can't believe everything I've seen so far. What else ()what()????
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

j-dub

First, good tut badsim.
Secondly, there is a way to visually connect the other avenues to that nonfunctional one, with the puzzle piece trick.

serebii666

Wonderful Job!! I cannot wait to see more! And thank you for that tutorial.  ;D :thumbsup:

Incidentally, what textures did you use for the Place de la Concorde?? I asked over at Antigone before it was closed, but I didn't get any reply. &mmm
"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Badsim

Quote from: citymax on October 06, 2009, 11:40:37 AM
Nice job, but to me, I don't like the docks :( the texture isn't adequate to me), have you received my props ?

Having a look at what you were working on ,

All I can say , Maxime , is that I don't like that much my embankements either ... this is precisely after have seen some works like the one above that I invited you to join the team ... but I simply notice that this work hasn't  progressed since July 2008 . That's a pity but I ( We, as a team) can't wait any longer and I know you're really busy with RL ... Now , if you have any suggestions about better textures to use , do not hesitate to tell me .

I received your props indeed , thank you . :thumbsup:

Some progresses ...

Firstly , the first large city tile of the Triumphal Way has been set up . The only terraforming has been to dig the Seine , deeper than I previously thought . The bend of the Seine is voluntarily angular but , fortunately , the angle is nearly the same than the real one . Some avenues have been set up as well , some of them are corresponding to the real ones , some others are fictive and temporary , just to animate the scene with traffic generators .

And , as you can see , the houseboats aren't looking like floating in the air anymore ...

That area is almost finished .

Quote from: jeronij on October 05, 2009, 01:37:18 PM
Quite interesting tutorial C  :thumbsup: ¡¡¡ . I'll keep an eye here to see how you deal with the houseboats placement on water... something which has always been a problem for me...  ::)  $%Grinno$%  ;)

Firstly , thank you for your attention here, Jeroni. The houseboats placement on water is better , using the sea level , than with canals ... It was not so complicated , just several hours of tests before to find with LE the proper elevation of each of them . ::)

Quote from: Pat on October 05, 2009, 08:18:26 PM
Cedric what about off set the props?? Would that work to give the appearance of being in the water at all or would that be to much of a pain in the boat lol...

Indeed , Pat , off set these props would have been the prefect solution , I'm assuming it can be done with IliveReader but that's something I didn't learn so far to do myself . &mmm

Quote from: j-dub on October 06, 2009, 03:50:46 PM
First, good tut badsim.
Secondly, there is a way to visually connect the other avenues to that nonfunctional one, with the puzzle piece trick.

I'm not familiar with the puzzle pieces from the NAM - my bad , so what I intend to do about the plaza ( still just a draft ), is , after have divided it in 3 Lots due to the amont of props expected , to partially TE them , so they'll look connected . The complex avenues network around the plaza will be a mix of eye-candy and functional ones . Thanks for your interest . :thumbsup:

Quote from: BarbyW on October 05, 2009, 02:07:58 PM
I don't have the No Junk mod any more but wondered if you had downloaded PEG-MTP_RuralStreetLight_2A58-Replacement_100. That mod replaces the low wealth lamp posts with wooden ones.

No , Barbara , I haven't got that file in my plugins , but I'm assuming that despite the fact that mod has a zzz prefix , it conflicts with another one ... I'll made some further searches , as I would really need it to work . Nonetheless , thanks for your help . :)

Quote from: Une_ame on October 06, 2009, 01:59:13 PM
What you've done is amazing &apls.

I can't believe everything I've seen so far. What else ()what()????

Many thanks , Emmanuel . If there's a lot of work for BATers of that team , with uploads for the community , the LotEditing is offering many  challenges -  more I look at them , more I'm feverish  :-[ -  I intend to do my best to do not disappoint you . You all ... :thumbsup:

Serebii666 ;

That texture is from BSC Textures Vol 02 . The others grey base textures & overlays are from BSC Textures Pack Cycledogg Vol01b .

Thanks for your support . :thumbsup:

Cédric.