• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Graphic and modeling specs

Started by nathkel, March 17, 2013, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathkel

Now that i'm getting the hang of Gmax, i'm going to begin putting together the models for my designs of the Overpass-Underpass Interchanges (tentatively called OUI). However, i'm missing some important measurements. Because i want to conform to the NAM specifications, here's what i'm looking for:

1. The width (including the exact pixel points along the base) of the asphalt in a straight and diagonal tile. I also need the width and pixel points of shoulders and US stripings.
2. The minimum or standardized height of overpasses (from lower road surface to upper ceiling) in GMax units.

The objective of OUI is to provide full-access interchanges for crossings between standard roads or RHWs and restricted-access RHWs (RAs), in which the RAs run parallel to one-way frontage or access roads (from 1 to 6 lanes) then overpass the crossing roads. The rising RAs will be planted on artificially sloped single-tile mounds (called berms), while frontage/access roads will have split/merged before the approaches. While NAM has these capabilities, there is a glaring omission of dedicated left-turn lanes, underpass U-turns, and synced traffic light cycling (which may need special consideration). Thus, i was inspired, esp. while noticing these constructs here in South Florida.

My designs, if anyone has any input on technical issues, will be as follows:

1. These will be prefabricated pieces, divided up between approaching berms (straight, bent from 45 and 90 deg, and bent from FAR), frontage road connectors, and overpass/underpass intersections.

2. Approaches will slope from ground level to overpass level in 8 tiles rather than the current 4. This is in keeping with NAM's inclination towards realism.

3. Some heavy-traffic OUIs will make use of underpass U-turns as well as dedicated turn lanes (both left and right).

4. Many berms will have coinciding parallel frontage roads, which means many of the curved pieces wil need to combine both the berms and the adjacent entrance/exits.

I have all the layouts on paper, including the angles and loci of the curves. Now i need to translate to GMax in accordance with NAM standards.

MandelSoft

There's one problem with this method: you can't export 3DS files (or real3D S3D files for that matter) with gMax. This means you can't export your models to an usable format for puzzle pieces.

Also, some images from your project or what you want to achieve are helpful. I don't have a clear picture of what you want exactly...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

nathkel

Well, wait a minute... should i NOT be using Gmax to construct rising berms that roads will use?

For feedback i will write up some specs soon on what i'm planning for the OUIS, and will be more specific on my questions for incorporating into NAM's standards. But there are no tutorials for creating 3D road pieces so i'm a blind artist who doesn't know what color to use...

MandelSoft

Well, you need a program that can export 3DS files. That's the whole crux. If you can't do that, you can't make useable models for SimCity 4.

I was planning to make a video tutorial about making Transit Models for SimCity 4. The question is when it will be ready...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

nathkel

Yes, a tutorial would be so helpful! Otherwise we could collaborate -- i have all the specs for the pieces i intend to construct and while i don't know how to construct the data, i can at least get the graphics going!

Let me inspire you to teach others how to work your magic. The more magicians working on building the data structures, the richer SC4 will be. And after looking at some previews of SC2013, i and many others are not planning to move "up".  ;)