• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Tarkus

Dusting this thread off for a moment . . .

As those of you who have been following the RHW and NWM development threads may already know, while the feature list for NAM 35 has not been settled as of yet, it is currently looking as though the debut of the FTL project may be postponed until NAM 36.  While the FTLs are quite far into development, the project is of substantial magnitude--more complex than the initial NWM release--and there's still a considerable amount to do.  LHD support is a big one, and is quite a bit more complicated with this project than most NAM endeavors, and it's unclear at this point how smooth or rough that process will be.  Additionally, there are some details to work out between Avenue/TLA differentiation, some last "gator wrestling", better support for FTL/Signalized OWR intersections, plus pattern interference issues with the slip lanes.  There's also some interesting opportunities for interaction between the FTLs and some other NAM projects, which are probably best dealt with in one fell swoop.  I can't quite divulge what those are, but that will change quickly once we get to the right window in the development cycle.

I know many of you have been really looking forward to the FTLs and may be disappointed by this scenario, but the improvements that will be made possible by putting a little less immediate pressure on this project in our plans looks like a guarantee of a more exciting product in the end.

-Alex

Tyberius06

I think this is such a project what it's worth to waiting for, so take your time! :)  :popcorn:

Thank you for your and the TEAM hard work anyway! :)  &apls &apls

(P.S.: I'm waiting for this project (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13715.0) anyway, altough I really can't see any chance to make it happen ever... :) )
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Tarkus

Quote from: Tyberius06 on August 21, 2016, 04:38:17 AM
(P.S.: I'm waiting for this project (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13715.0) anyway, altough I really can't see any chance to make it happen ever... :) )

Everyone is. :D  There's some complications with the model alignment, and there's still a fair bit of groundwork to see if our proposed implementation method will work (which involves some crazy top secret stuff, from an experiment we did 4-5 years ago $%#Ninj2), but provided we find the right spot in the development cycle and can work out those issues . . . maybe.  I wouldn't expect it to be picked back up for awhile still, however.

-Alex

dcsmycity

Is there any chance that we could get RHW-4 turn lanes for expressways as well as U-turn lanes? Not essential, but would be nice.

Example: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9149708,-78.4483864,181m/data=!3m1!1e3 for the U-turn lanes
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8926015,-78.5148575,139m/data=!3m1!1e3 RHW TULEPs

eggman121

Hello dcsmycity

I could tie that in with the upgrade with the One Way Road network.

But the catch is that the wait will be for the next NAM post NAM 35 since it is so late in the peace.

I would very much like to have those as well and it should not be that hard to implement  ;)

-eggman121

dcsmycity

That will be great for my rural/suburban expressways! Well worth the wait. :)

dyoungyn

Alex and entire NAM Team,

I believe that we are all very thankful for all that you all do and the wait will be well worth it.  Thank you again for all that time and energy you all do .  I like many other are so excited to see and we will have to wait for the final product. 

Thank so much again and keep em coming.

dyoungyn

AsimPika3172

Nice roads layout! :D I will waiting for next NAM release soon!
I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

One area of FTL development that had been discussed, but not implemented, is the idea of separate textures to handle Avenue and AVE-6 T-intersections versus their TLA counterparts, to provide a more visually cohesive look.  That, however, has just changed . . .

More fun stuff on the way.

-Alex

Vizoria

Tarkus

Quote from: Vizoria on December 15, 2016, 01:54:08 PM
That's quite the intersection! All draggable right?

Indeed it is.  The actual transition from the network to the turn lane setup is a FLEX item, but the intersection itself is all draggable.

In other news, SITAP is back . . .

I'm in the process of adding support for the 2 and 3-tile wide Road-based NWM networks, including the TLA-5, RD-4, RD-6, and TLA-7/AVE-6.  The signals are stuck on green at the moment in the image, as I've only finished the RULs and T21s.  I haven't yet added the pathing and stop points, which will then spring them to life.

-Alex

Gugu3

Tyberius06

It's amazing. Recently I've been building a lot of 2 tiles wide NWM-OWR2 T and Crossing Intersections. It's gonna be fun remaking all of them (and it wasn't sarcasm, I can't wait for example the dragable Elevated Heavy Rail update for the same reaseon, because with that I can remake all the affected El. H. Rail-OWR2 crossings to El. H. Rail OWR3-4... :) )

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

compdude787

Looks nice!! I like that one-way road intersection with the TLA-7!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Thanks, Gugu3, Tyberius06, and compdude787, and to everyone who has given the most recent updates a "like".

Quote from: Tyberius06 on December 21, 2016, 11:02:41 AM
It's gonna be fun remaking all of them (and it wasn't sarcasm, I can't wait for example the dragable Elevated Heavy Rail update for the same reaseon, because with that I can remake all the affected El. H. Rail-OWR2 crossings to El. H. Rail OWR3-4... :) )

You sound a lot like me when I'm developing things. :D

In any case, here's a look at how things look with the TLA-5 SITAP setups at present.  The "short-T" design isn't finalized yet--I like the looks of it a lot, but it will require some fancy adjacency overrides in order to support the inevitable situation where someone tries building a non-OWR "short-T" on the other side.

One big goal with getting all these in place is so that the TLA-7/AVE-6 FTL setups (initially, just the Type 130) can support SITAP intersections.  Aside from LHD and Euro texture support, that's the last big thing that's holding up the FTLs.  The Slip Lanes were also on the list, but they're likely going to be pushed out until Phase 2.  Their implementation needs to be retooled, after encountering interference with Draggable FAR.

-Alex

Vizoria

On the subject of T21s, will catalyst's RHW barriers be extended to include the FLEX turn lanes? It would be nice to see curved barriers!

dyoungyn

If I may add, will this take off the default of one-way roads ending as a T only ending on the edge of the  AVE?  You know, no traffic light for both roads, one-ways, etc. 

Tarkus

Quote from: Vizoria on December 22, 2016, 03:28:21 PM
On the subject of T21s, will catalyst's RHW barriers be extended to include the FLEX turn lanes? It would be nice to see curved barriers!

That would probably have to be a third-party endeavor, either from catalyst himself, or another developer.  The NAM Team is down to a skeleton crew right now, and we don't have the manpower to assume update responsibilities for third-party cosmetic mods.

Quote from: dyoungyn on December 22, 2016, 03:59:03 PM
If I may add, will this take off the default of one-way roads ending as a T only ending on the edge of the  AVE?  You know, no traffic light for both roads, one-ways, etc.

There's already SITAP support for the Avenue "Short-T".  That functionality has been in place since NAM 34.  The actual "default" setup is unchanged, however, as there's no way to tell the RULs which way the OWR is going without SITAP trickery.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Fully understand and thank you for the reply.  Yes, you are right that the creation has been created to end one-way roads only on one side for AVE 6/7 is so ever thankful and loved. 

dyoungyn