• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SimPeg website isn't anymore

Started by carlfatal, July 03, 2015, 04:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlfatal

Today I wanted to look into SimPeg and had to learn, that one of the old and important communities isn´t anymore.  :(

I never was very active there aside from downloading and lurking. But I want to say thank you and good bye.

Mod Edit: Renamed topic to make it clear the website is no longer active. Original title could have been interpreted wrongly. - CasperVg (July 3rd, 2015)

FrankU

You think it has gone completely? Isn't it just some maintenance mode?

art128

I doubt it's maintenance mode.

We just have to wait and see. The admins at Simpeg don't know what's really happening either and no words from Pegasus so far.

Really just wait and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, then it's the end of it.

I never really liked Simpeg anyway so It doesn't really affects me.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ernestmaxis

So all the uploads from the Plex are gone or moved somewere else?
Shame it gone.

CahosRahneVeloza

Too bad seeing as most of the old stuff from Pegasus that are still hosted on the STEX have had the updated versions hosted ONLY on the PLEX.

CasperVg

Sad to see one of the most popular English-speaking SC4 fansites go :(

QuoteToo bad seeing as most of the old stuff from Pegasus that are still hosted on the STEX have had the updated versions hosted ONLY on the PLEX.
Hopefully some sort of archive containing all the PLEX uploads will be released somewhere, so that the latest versions can be uploaded to the STEX or somewhere else.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: CasperVg on July 03, 2015, 05:18:35 AM
Hopefully some sort of archive containing all the PLEX uploads will be released somewhere, so that the latest versions can be uploaded to the STEX or somewhere else.

That is if the current EULA of SC4 Mod content will allow one to re-upload another person's content without the need for first notifying the original author of the said re-upload of their content.

This WAS and still is, the biggest hindrance in the SC4 community for people who need Dependencies or any other content for that matter that are no longer easily obtainable.

mrbisonm

This must be a bad joke or a virus......................... :crytissue:

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

vortext

What the actual f. . .   &mmm  ()what()  Paging Blunder and/or Simcoug for much needed clarification.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

carlfatal

If you open SimPeg, then you can find a last message, that they close after 15 years.

http://www.simpeg.com/

epicblunder

Quote from: carlfatal on July 03, 2015, 08:13:20 AM
If you open SimPeg, then you can find a last message, that they close after 15 years.

We (the simpeg admins) do not believe that message came from Pegasus; he has better grammar than that message and it's shorter than something he would write in a case like this.  We believe it to be either auto-generated by the host or placed by a malicious 3rd party. 

We currently believe this is likely a maintenance issue (or hosting.  Hostgator has been problematic the last few months, as you may have noticed trying to get to our homepage) and we've emailed Pegasus. Until we hear back from him there's really nothing we can do and everything is speculation.

noahclem

My sincerest best wishes to you all in resolving this really concerning development. We're all better off when the SC4 community has more choices and communities, to say nothing of the potential loss of access to all the materials on the PLEX. I know I'd be devastated if I lost my SC4 home here.

catty

Quote from: epicblunder on July 03, 2015, 09:02:11 AM
...We (the simpeg admins) do not believe that message came from Pegasus; he has better grammar than that message and it's shorter than something he would write in a case like this....

I really hope so, unfortunately the series of articles "History of the Internet by the Superuser" now being posted on the site would suggest otherwise

http://simpeg.com/articles?showall=1&limitstart=
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Tarkus

The "History of the Internet" bit is definitely his.  If you click on the little Adam Savage caricature at the top, it takes you to the website of the Newport Harbor Elks Club, where the article apparently originated last year.  He's listed as the author there, and appears to be the club's webmaster.  As far as the original "farewell" post, I don't have the foggiest idea who wrote it.  The waving 3D clown GIF does look like something Peg would use, but the text does not match with his posting style at all.

As I said over on the ST thread, if the site is truly closing down, it is a big blow to the SC4 community, and this is a strange and sad way for it to end.  SimPeg one of the "big three" sites that's stuck with it through all these years, and it hits close to home here at SC4D.  My best wishes go out to you, epicblunder, and the rest of the SimPeg staff, in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

-Alex

Unconstantean

this is so sad :( A dark time for all sc4 fans. The team out there at simpeg was amazing. Lots of great BATs. I am glad that i have most of their creations downloaded in my pc.

RIP SIMPEG :(  :crytissue: :( &cry2

eggman121

I am also sad to see SimPeg and the PLEX gone  ()sad()

I guess that throws open the question of the hosting of content! I know the Stex is harder to navigate due to its general city building nature.

So I guess we may need to have a discussion that allows new users to get there hands on content while simultaneously not stealing from the creator. The main reason SC4 has survived so long has been the 3rd party modding done by the community.

I can't think of any solution at this point in time but I guess it is a general discussion that has to be had.

-eggman121

titanicbuff

I had noticed that for the longest time they had all kinds of issues going on- I wonder if this helped make that decision.
I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

emanuelfranco0390

nooooooooooooooooooooooo all the great materials, mods and tutorials from that very useful page are gone :(

Tarkus

Confirmed, unfortunately. :(  It sounds like the data got irreparably corrupted, which is an absolute tragedy, and every site runner's worst fear.  As the guy effectively in charge of SC4D now, with Jeroni retired from active duty, this hits especially close to home.  My heart absolutely breaks for the PegProd team.

-Alex

Hellken

Confirmed. SimPeg is dead. While some PLEX files are on STEX, it is largely incomplete and the updated versions are mostly on the PLEX.