• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s BAT and Lot Workshop

Started by c.p., November 23, 2012, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cirocirociro

Great stuff...will be released soon?

carlfatal

This mill...

Damn, recently the first railway was built, my region is now around 1860, and I need this mill.  $%Grinno$%

Again thanks for both parts of pictures, and I agree with FrankU, that the housing area on the other side of the river indeed would complement the essemble. There can´t be enough mills out there. With mills, not with steam the industrialisation started in the late 18th century.

c.p.

Thanks Frank, belfastsocrates, reddonquixote, romualdillo, Matt, Arthur, Noah, cirocirociro and carlfatal ;D

In general answer to the comments and questions above:
I'm not planning to make any housing buildings for the mill.  I haven't seen any detailed pictures of those specific boarding houses, and I'm pretty sure they no longer exist.  But there are some in the nearby cities of Lowell and Manchester, New Hampshire, which still exist, and may be similar, and which I might make for the Manchester set (as residential buildings).

The lot for the mill is going to take a while.  I already have an idea of what I want to do for it.  It will be a little more compact than the original, but I'm guessing it will still be about 19x6 tiles.  Not a small project!  Since I have such a specific idea of what I want to do for it, I don't think it makes sense to ask Simcoug do it.

As far as release times go, I'm kind of in building-making mode at the moment.  There is a lot of "down time" in making models, due to rendering, etc, and that works well with the real-life things I'm trying to get done (and which are more important).  Hopefully before too long, there will be a breather where I feel I can sink some time into other aspects of this project too, such as in-game testing, modding some more props, preparing readmes, etc, etc, etc, but I don't know when that will be.

For today's update, here is a small fictional high wealth house for the Louisville set, the Bellarmine:

The idea for the front comes from some of these Louisville buildings:

The idea for the second story porch comes from these Louisville buildings:

and riverboats:

The general type of neighborhood I imagine this building in is like this St. Louis neighborhood:

Jack_wilds

manga rivotra

I'm in love with the Blue one. :)
The industrials buildings in the last updates are amazing too. In fact, everything seems perfect here. ;)
Thank you for continuing to share your great creations after so many years. :thumbsup:

art128

yes indeed, that little house is really nice!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

TheTeaCat

Stunning!! Truely stunning!! each and every model are some of the best I've seen! and the amount of them too. Incredible  &apls &apls &apls

TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

romualdillo

carlfatal

Indeed wonderful houses, and I love the ones on the third picture.  :)

The riverboat, - Are you thinking about a BAT?   :thumbsup:

c.p.

Thanks Jack_Wilds, manga rivotra, art128, TheTeaCat, romualdillo, and carlfatal :)

carlfatal: No, I'm not planning any riverboat BATs. $%Grinno$%  (Peg made a nice one a long time ago though, if you were looking for one.)  What I'm trying to do with the real-life pictures, especially in the case of these fictional buildings, is to show where my sense of the "character" of the building comes from, or how it ties into the particular city.  In other words, what is the 19th century "Louisville-ness" of this building?  When I was putting together the update, I noticed I didn't actually have a lot of Louisville pictures showing second story porches, yet I felt pretty strongly there was something of Louisville, or at least the Ohio River, in that, which puzzled me.  Then it occured to me it was because of the riverboat decks.  It was sort of an unconscious influence on the design of the building, but an influence nonetheless.  That's why I included the riverboat picture. :)

So here is my update for today.  It is another fictional high wealth house, the Thorndike, with approximately the same footprint as the Bellarmine.   It is intended to be part of the Manchester/Lowell set.  The multi-segmented bay windows are from Lowell, where I encountered tons of them in my Google travels, but otherwise I see this as a general New England house.

Some real-life pictures from Lowell MA and Nashua NH:

magee_b

Really beautiful c.p.  &apls

We've got a lot of similar style homes the downtown cores of cities and old towns of New Brunswick, Canada. Very much representative of the style of the era!

noahclem

Lovely new buildings  &apls  I quite enjoy the second story terraces in all their river-boat inspired glory--and somewhat regret you not wanting to bat a riverboat as well ;)

manga rivotra

We need more luxurious houses for the game, and yours are magnificent, as always. Thanks you very much  :thumbsup:

carlfatal

First a thank you for the explanation! Funny is, that old riverboats here around looked like small ships with wheels on both sides, so it is no wonder, that the kind of boat on your picture always reminded me more to a house than to a ship. And now to hear, that there was an influence into building houses after a ship design - yeah!  ;D

Then again great RL pictures, especially the sixth! This looks sooo cosy.

And the new models: How many stunning BATs do you finish every day? This can´t be healthy!  $%Grinno$%

romualdillo

Great work, as always!!! I think we're going to have an American Cities Renaissance soon!!!  :thumbsup:

reddonquixote

These houses are wonderful. I don't usually get all that excited by house BATs, these are really great. The architectural style is just lovely, and you have captured them really well   :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

bombardiere

Great work  :) This is coming to be an architecture set on it own. I am waiting eagerly for the upload to the LEX.

Shark7

Nice houses.  :thumbsup:  And we can never have too many different house models in game.

I think I like the blue siding versions the best.

mrbisonm

They're all great....blue, yellow, red and grey (gray) Love 'em !

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

belfastsocrates

Absolutely love those houses! Not entirely sure how I'll make them fit in a city which has housing mainly influenced by the UK but I'd sure I can find a way, a bespoke development maybe...

They look superb
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde