• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Wish List

Started by dyoungyn, February 10, 2017, 03:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyoungyn

Not sure where to put this, so I decided to start a new topic. 

Love NAM and RHW.  I use them both all the time and it is what makes SC4 what it is today.

Some RHW wish items and sorry if they are duplicate.

RHW8S 2 tile with overhangs (4 lanes on each side, side side as with RHW 6S bridge) cable-stayed bridge (ideally going over long stretches)
RHW8S cable-stayed bridge with a gab in between.
RHW6C/8C 2 tile with overhangs cable-stayed bridge (ideally going over long stretches).

Sorry to be so direct and hopeful; if it wasn't for the NAM team, SC4 could not even come close to what it is today. 

Tarkus

This probably could have just gone into the main RHW thread, as that's usually where we field requests.

Unfortunately, bridge development has been more or less stalled for awhile now, and cable-stayed setups are among the more difficult to model and assemble.  Barring something miraculous happening, the most we'll really be able to do is quick-and-dirty plain bridges using the elevated network models.  The Maxis cable-stayed models are, I believe, one of the ones where the textures are baked in, so the option of retrofitting isn't there. 

Additionally, I'm not even sure an RHW-8S with overhangs on both sides would even work from a functional perspective, and its capacity would likely be unacceptably low.  If you're wanting side-by-side, the best we could probably do would be a DBE-based setup, as that eliminates the terrain restrictions faced by standard bridge setups.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Thank you for the reply. 

I understand that we are and should be very thankful for what is existence today; thank you.  I agree that maybe it should have gone in the RHW Forum but then I thought that maybe it is new topic. 

Again, we are all so grateful for all the ingenious imaginative creations we are so fortunate to have and use today.  I am still very confident that some genius out there with mad programming skills would create such bridges as was done with Maxis bridges but for RHW.

dyoungyn

Tarkus

You're welcome, and thanks for your continued enthusiasm and support for the project!

Quote from: dyoungyn on February 10, 2017, 05:42:18 PM
I am still very confident that some genius out there with mad programming skills would create such bridges as was done with Maxis bridges but for RHW.

Unless there is some way to retrofit the Maxis bridges in question, it'd more likely require someone with mad 3D modeling skills and the patience to work within the necessary specifications.  Those sorts of folks are increasingly hard to come by, unfortunately.

-Alex

eggman121

The only way I could think of doing the bridges easily is to use the DBE method of making bridges. Here is the rational.

1) A starter piece could be added to the DBE setup for orthogonal Bridges.

2) Using the models already made for the Elevated RHW you reset them to L0.

3) Than using the T21 method you attach props that resemble the beams, cables and other associated structural items and that would make the bridge with the looks that you desire.

That is the only easy way of making a bridge I can think of. BATers for bridges are indeed hard to come by and there complex nature will and the software needed to make a quality bridge is only in the hands of a few. So. To fulfill your request, an ABE (Advanced Bridge Enabler) as it would be called, would be needed and with T21 props you can just use good old Gmax to make the required structural props.

Here is a setup I made a while ago with the RHW 6C

This is the setup I would use to make the Bridges, With props of course.

-eggman121

dyoungyn

Great progress Eggman121. 

I was thinking, isn't it possible to mod the current RHW 10S cable-stayed bridge (5 lanes on one side (2 tiles) and 5 lanes on the opposite side)  to RHW8S?  After all, it is ideally the same foot-print, 2 tiles, only change the number lanes to 4 on each side. 

This would accomplish the RHW8S cable-stayed bridge.

Only thinking out-loud trying to come up with an alternative to the current RHW8S bridge. 

Tarkus

I had forgotten there was an RHW-10S cable-stayed bridge (it appears I don't have it installed for some reason).  That certainly simplifies matters greatly, though there would still be the need to modify about 200 S3D models to narrow the width (most bridges have separate models for each rotation and each zoom, giving each piece ID a total of 20 associated models).

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

I love the RHW10S Cable-Stayed bridge as it looks GREAT.   The only thing I do not like about the current RHW8S bridge is it is not cable-stayed as it would look soo much better in the Region View with the Satellite feature selected. 

I am not a programmer and do not understand all the technical aspects behind it.  I am also very thankful for again what has be so graciously provided.  Only trying to brainstorm here.

Currently, I am using the RHW10S to 8S transition in order to get the wonderful bridge.  However, there are time where I wish I did not have to do that as transitions appear weird in the Region view as I understand the limitations and control of the Region View.   

Kitsune

to hijack this a little bit ... has any thought been given to using some of the RHW bridges for the appropriate width NWM ?
~ NAM Team Member