• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Released: SAM-7 Asphalt Street Textures (Hableurg) Override

Started by Catalyst, August 07, 2014, 09:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Catalyst

(replies and update on the SAM override postponed, sorry)

Teasing seems to be the way to go for accumulating K-points! Thank you  art128
Here is another teaser, just for you ::)

p.s. The tulep's are all funtional but the avenue 4-way-intersection-piece (which coveres 4 tiles). Somehow it is based on just 1 texture that gets both mirrored and rotated so that it's impossible to get the layout seen in the teaser actually in game :-(

art128

This kind of intersection would work even better with pedestrian overpass instead of crossings. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

The rest of the intersection should work, but yes the centre "intersection" bit would be very difficult to achieve, that said the bike crossings wouldn't be affected if you removed the islands and lane markings to work with the rotation/flipping.

FrankU

Hi Catalyst,

Looking better and better every image! Great work so far.

By the way: which canals did you use in the last image? I have been looking for something like that a long long time! I didn't know it exists.

art128

FrankU: I believe those are Moonlight Japanese irrigation canals, Somewhere on this page. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

belfastsocrates

Quote from: Catalyst on October 05, 2014, 07:18:35 AM
all good things go by three so here you go:

This is teaser number 3, you missed the previous ones? scroll up!

Looking superb!

BTW.....is that a wheelchair user about to be struck by a car?! I hope no one was injured
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Catalyst

Hey Billy (2x), art128 (3x), Simcoug, Kergelen, Girafe, FrankU (4x), GDO29Anagram, w_swietwoot, vortext, c.p., belfastsocrates (2x), CahosRahneVeloza, Terring7, MandelSoft & mgb204:

Thanks for commenting!

Thanks to all anonymous viewers as well!

Kergelen, thanks for the hint. if I ever get to make a t-21 mod with cyclists, I'll try and resize them first!

Girafe, of course it is editable,haha. I can even send you png files when its all done if you want ;-)

GDO29Anagram, it would be great if we didn't have to override existing textures as many people use the current SAM-7 for hi-tech industrial areas or else.

MandelSoft: Done ;-) thanks!

mgb204, instead of modding the TULEP 4-way ave-intersection (which is based on 1 texture only, grrrr...) I replaced the the textures that you get automatically when dragging an avenue 4-way intersection, which is based on 4 textures, allowing me to keep the nice islands ;-)

belfastsocrates, they're just having a chat (I believe), everything is OK, haha. 20 meters to the right someone is driving over a concrete island, I think I should modify the paths as well. No idea how to do that though...

Billy, w_swietwoot, vortext, c.p. : Thanks for criticizing the tire marks, it only caused an extreme motivational depression responsible for the fact that I stopped playing SC4 for the last 2 months. OK I'm just kidding, it was actually school which kept me from this amazing game ;-)
I felt exactly the same so I made the marks on the cycle lanes darker (SC4 cars drive half on the asphalt, half on the cycle lanes)

I have three announcements:

1) mgb204 has joined the Project, this is now a Co-op!
He has helped me a lot through providing information, links to tools & improving massively my efficiency. Without him this project would probably have taken years to finish, or worse, would've been abbandoned.

2) I decided to include replacements for the Rural Roads Plugin (SAM wide radius curves). It was actually much easier than I anticipated. Yes you can see it:

3) I will not provide a progress table at the end of this post. Simply because all base-textures (no-wealth) are finished! This does not mean however that the mod is ready for release yet. We still have to make the wealth versions which, for $ & $$, should be a very easy job.  For $$$ however it might take a while:

overview:

Some more random shots:

My first attempt at BAT-ing (I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the project ;-):

That's it, thanks a lot for your interest!

vortext

Good the hear the base set is finished! Does that also include intersections with other networks btw? And yes, wide curves!  :thumbsup:

A few observations then. The tire marks have improved significantly, though imho they could still be a bit more pronounced on the paved areas. Also, I think it's a bit odd the high wealth texture has a sandy shoulder. To me it looks worn out and therefore more suitable for low wealth.  &Thk/(

Nice to hear mgb204 has joined in, following his work over at SimPeg it seems he has a firm handle on the processing side! All in all very good and promising developments!  &apls

edit, your batting project is neat!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mgb204

Hope it's OK to spill a few beans here - I think the intersections are all done, at least all those that actually have SAM-Override IIDs for the other SAM networks. Does anyone know if some functionality was ever planned and not finished or removed/made incompatible? For example I have IID's (from Diggis's templates for SAM) for GLR crossings, but they revert to regular streets with all the SAM networks. There are also a few other connections that just don't work with any SAM set, so I've no idea why there would be IID's floating around for them either.

I must say I personally really like the $$$ sandy strip, it adds something for me.

Great to see the WRC's and I like the roundabout, reminds me of the "Bear Pit" in my home city although it looks like yours belongs in a nicer area. Can I ask how have you modded this, are the Avenue/Road/Streets part of the BAT, Textures or is this a filler/overhanging lot of sorts? Perhaps it could do with further subway entrances on the other side of the streets, a simply subway entrance lot could be included for this purpose so the tunnels all match up nicely?

FrankU

I am so happy this project is not dead but alive and kicking! It is a great product and I really like to use it in one of my following regions. If ever one is going to be started, because I actuall do not play the game anymore for two years I think.. I just do lotting.

Anyway.... The streets are gorgeous!

And about the sand: I agree with Vortex. I think green lush grass would be more suitable for high wealth. In my opinion, that is.

And your BAT... Is that some kind of memorial? It looks beautiful, but I don't understand what it is.

Ernestmaxis

Amazing project with great details that makes the game even more realistic!
What kind of tree models are you using?
I love the detail from all wealthes (the road) but I dislike the trees. I would use the Girafe Vip tree's they look great on your project!
Love to see the release!

mgb204

Quote from: Ernestmaxis on December 01, 2014, 01:46:59 PM
What kind of tree models are you using?

None actually, I think those are from either Jeronji's or SFBTs Streetside mod, they are completely separate from the street mod itself. If you have a maxis tree replacer or a streetside mod installed that replaces the trees on SAM7 streets with Giraffe's trees this mod should be compatible as it's only a texture override.

noahclem

I was just thinking of this project the other day and thought maybe it was inactive -- very glad to find out I was wrong  :D.  Cool batting project btw  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Superb work, great seeing so much progress. I'm really looking forward to using these.

I agree with vortext though in regard to the tyre marks on the paved area as well as the sandy texture for high-wealth, I'd expect that to be a well maintained grass-verge. I also wouldn't expect to see large rubbish and recycling bins in such areas. Those are small issues though, overall I love the work.

The underground/subway BAT is looking very nice. The only thing I'd change at the minute is the grey street texture
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Flatron

Nice!
And contrary to what other people said, I do really like the sandy strip. It adds a classy feel to it (it's much more of an effort to keep sand free of grass and moss than to mow a lawn...)
I know that the recycling bins are not part of  your mod, but I still don't feel like they don't fit, everybody needs to recycle, don't they?

art128

I echo what vortext said about the sand on the high-wealth area. Maybe IRL it would look neat, but in-game it just makes everything looks poor.

Nice textures though. Good to know the basic set is finished. Just a quick question though, why is there tire marks on the bicycle lane?

Props & Texture Catalog

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.