• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

mave94's room

Started by mave94, June 10, 2014, 12:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mave94

Hello devotees and welcome to my room!

Let me first introduce myself. I am Matthijs, member of the Benelux team. A few years ago I started making BATs with the Building Architect Tool. Last year I switched to 3ds max, because I really love that program. I haven't uploaded very much to the Stex, though, but I hope my collection of BATs from the Netherlands can be expanded in the next year. In the past year I have hardly ever opened up the 3ds max program, but now I am back on track. (I hope so anyway)

The buildings and structures I created are often from the Netherlands. Below is a list of released projects (although there aren't many yet).

========== ========== ==========

List of releases

mave94

This is my next project which I started yesterday. It is a long-term project, so I think I will also do some smaller things in the meantime. Can anyone guess what this is going to be? It is in the Netherlands of course. By the way, the colours are just for organisation purpose.

-Matthijs

art128

Hmmm, beams uh. Could be the structure of a stadium or some kind of cranes? perhaps the structure of a large building?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

MandelSoft

Or it could be... the Maeslantkering :o
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

APSMS

Quote from: MandelSoft on June 10, 2014, 11:46:42 PM
Or it could be... the Maeslantkering :o

My thoughts, too! Of course, I had no idea what it was called. I wonder, though, if that's it, how it will be implemented in the game.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

kelis

I can't wait to see the entire model !! It's pretty nice to see you making some models once again  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mave94

@Arthur (art128): Yes and no, but it is a large structure indeed. ;)
@Maarten (MandelSoft): And, that is correct! (of course)  :thumbsup:
@APSMS: I am not sure how I am going to put this in game, but I think there is a way to make a landmark of this large structure. I thought I would just make it ploppable on land close to the water. A closed barrier would be too difficult to implement into the game, because then you need the exact width of the river.
@Jonathan (kelis): Yes, it is indeed! I am already having so much fun doing some more with 3ds max these days.  ()stsfd()

To give you an idea how this barrier is going to look like as a whole I'll post a quick snapshot of the work so far. The curved structure is just there for demonstration purposes, as that part will change when I work some more on the model.

This is it real life counterpart. I've seen it a few times and I can tell you it's huge!

kelis

Nice progress so far, I really like to see how this monster is taking shape  &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vortext

Oh, that's an awesome and daunting project!   &apls

Quote from: mave94 on June 11, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
A closed barrier would be too difficult to implement into the game, because then you need the exact width of the river.

Well, one would need to do some terraforming to make them fit instead. It'd be much akin to a ploppable bridge with overhang, I could see it work.   ;D

On a sidenote, the flags are awesome but the poles are too modern (i.e. bright) for my taste. Is there any chance you'd be willing to rework them with wooden poles?  ::)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

Oh, so you were going for that uh... interesting. Would a BAP version be possible? so that we can have a working open/close mechanism.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

This is a really exciting project!!  I've been thinking for a while that something like this would be really neat to have for SC4 (though my idea was actually the Thames barrier ;) ).

As for implementation in game, I'd do a landmark ploppable for each side, mostly overhanging the actual lot. the props could be timed to occasionally be closed but it would only look right if the user took the time to make sure they were separated by the proper amount of tiles. It would be great even if it didn't close at all but being able to close would add a pretty neat aspect to it.

The rowhouses you did look outstanding, including the lotting  &apls

mave94

@Jonathan (kelis): Thank you my friend.

@vortext: Thank you. Well, maybe a ploppable barrier with overhang is possible; I think I can do that. About the flags, yes it's possible to remake them with wooden poles (separately from the ones I uploaded already). I could export all the 89 flags, but that would be much work. I'll see what I can do. Perhaps I will not export all 89 of them, but I might have time to do them all. ;)

@Arthur (art128): It would be great to have a working version, but I don't know how to do that. Maybe when I am finished is someone else willing to do that, but we'll see that later.

@Noah (noahclem): Yeah, the Thames barrier is great, too, but I don't like it's looks. On top of that, this one is located some 30 kms from my house. :P The easiest way would be a timed prop, which switches between open and closed. I think in the end I will make a static version with the open barrier and a version with a timed prop. And a working version would be great, but I will have to figure that out later.

mave94

After my holiday I spent some more hours modelling on the Maeslantkering. The rough shape of the barrier itself is done now. The barrier needs details and textures now. Apart from that, the command house, the hinge and the motor have to be modelled and textured, so lots of work to do. The renders below are taken from the angles as they will be in game.

Still a lot of work to do.  :D

kelis

I love it !! I can't wait to see the complete model with textures, the model looks really good so far  :thumbsup:
.