• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What Does Your Name Mean?

Started by thundercrack83, June 04, 2007, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyronymus

Hyronymus, or officially Hieronymus, is Greek for my given name. It means "with a sacred name".

Twyla

September 13th, 1983....

Back in 8th grade (and several years prior) I was massively into D&D - good old Blue Basic.  A friend started a new campaign which needed all new characters, for which I rolled up a half-elf character named Twyla.  I fell in love with her... wanted to BE her!  Her spunk, her tenacity, her adaptability - so much to aspire to become.

Over the years since, I drifted through various RPGs and Twyla was always my first and main character - regardless whether she's a Ragabash GlassWalker (W:tA), Former Wage-Mage (SR), or anthropomorphic vixen (FT/Taps/FM/et al); WHO she is always trumps WHAT she is.

Twenty-nine years and still going strong.

Piteri

Piteris = Peter in Lithuanian.

Kocayine

Legatus.Legionis

Legatus Legionis:

Tis a title in the Roman Army, just under that of the Caesar.

Shark7

Quote from: Legatus.Legionis on November 20, 2013, 09:21:51 PM
Legatus Legionis:

Tis a title in the Roman Army, just under that of the Caesar.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the modern equivalent would be General or Admiral depending on which branch of the military.

As for me... a large fish with lots of sharp teeth.  ;)  But you knew that, right?  $%Grinno$%

SuperMessi

My name stands for someone that I see as special. Someone who pushes his limits and, therefore, the limits of his profession to a whole new level every single time. Someone who is so much better than everyone else in history at his profession, and, because of that, that teachs us a valuable life lesson: yes, try your best; it is important to try your best and push your limits. But also: it is important to know that you have to accept failure, because failure will come: some people are simply better, praise them, enjoy them, and do your best.

That is Messi. He is indeed very good at what he does. Very very good.

gn_leugim

Wierd I never found this before and hence the necroing of the thread.

So, Gn_Leugim, where does it came from? First Leugim, as some might know, is Miguel writen in reverse, being Miguel my second name. My first name would not work for this, at least, in a pleasently sound way :p

The Gn behind it (Sometimes without a "_" or just with a "." as in Gnleugim or Gn.Leugim), cames from a game a played back then, C&C Generals, so, as I was playing as a general, I better give it to the name, and I short it to Gn. So, Gn_Leugim in short means "General Miguel"  :P

APSMS

Pffft. I thought I had replied here in this thread, but it might have just been Simtropolis' version instead.

Mine is really simple. I suck at coming up with names, so my username APSMS is just my initials. Sometimes I'll use APSinc (that's what it is on Steam), or Absalom Industries, but again these are just variations of my name.

I try to avoid using the whole thing (my name, that is) though, because I'm pretty sure there's only one person around who's got my name combination. Even if I'm not on social media for people to find.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

dyoungyn

After my own name, First Initial/Last, dyoung then my former USN Rate, YN, hence dyoungyn

Seaman

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 14, 2016, 01:15:01 PM
[...] then my former USN Rate, YN, [...]

ah... two feathers in the avatar icon.

dyoungyn

Actually, they are old age writing quills.

Seaman

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 14, 2016, 08:38:38 PM
Actually, they are old age writing quills.

yeah, I meant that.

fantozzi

Ugo Fantozzi is a fictional character, always funny, anarchistic and melancholic, always screwed up by a terrbile amount of misshapps, formed by the italian actor Paolo Villago.

There is a wikipedia entry for Fantozzi.

And there is a day, when Fantozzi is send to retirement and he can't handle it, that the company he worked for a whole life don't need him anymore...

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-ib1oHqwk

PaPa-J

Mine is really simple.  "PaPA" is what my grandson calls me and the "J" is the first letter of my last name.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

noahclem

Quote from: APSMS on September 14, 2016, 12:10:07 PM
Pffft. I thought I had replied here in this thread, but it might have just been Simtropolis' version instead.

Mine is really simple. I suck at coming up with names, so my username APSMS is just my initials. Sometimes I'll use APSinc (that's what it is on Steam), or Absalom Industries, but again these are just variations of my name.

I try to avoid using the whole thing (my name, that is) though, because I'm pretty sure there's only one person around who's got my name combination. Even if I'm not on social media for people to find.

Hehe, know what you mean about rare names. Mine is rare enough that I can almost always just use my name as a login which is the case with my incredibly uncreative name here  :D  I'm aware of a single other Noah Clem, I guy about 10 years younger than me from Virginia that I got to know fairly well just because of the rarity of the name--he got the twitter handle first but I beat him to about everything else  :evilgrin: . It's even worse here in Finland; my poor wife worries I'll do something embarrassing and have it get straight back to her  ::)

APSMS

Quote from: noahclem on March 29, 2018, 05:39:08 AM
Hehe, know what you mean about rare names. Mine is rare enough that I can almost always just use my name as a login which is the case with my incredibly uncreative name here
You know, the last name is different (obviously) but Noah also happens to be my brother's name.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

owlsinger

My real life first name is also pretty rare. It's derived from Old Norse/Saxon, and means 'the knowing and understanding woman', or 'wise woman'.

I sing with the owls.
'Luminous beings are we..'  - Yoda

'Hints of Gold'
by Jasmine Becket-Griffith

mrbisonm

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

fantozzi

Quote from: mrbisonm on March 31, 2018, 09:50:44 AM
Quote from: owlsinger on March 31, 2018, 08:47:42 AM
I sing with the owls.

I'd like to hear this.......

Don't think so. Regarding mythology.