• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

w_swietwoot's Projects

Started by w_swietwoot, January 07, 2012, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w_swietwoot

I'm opening a topic to show you my projects. I'll show you what I've been up to and you can comment. Hopefully this will help me finish some of these projects.
After making some automata (found here http://community.simtropolis.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=244259 ) which has been uploaded more than a year ago it's been a bit quiet. But I have been busy. The BNL members probably already seen some of these pictures but this an introduction to start my topic.

Besides playing with my region and making all sorts of other stuff, these are the most interesting I think:
- currently I'm making some Dutch themed street props for the BNL team but also (or mainly... :P) for my own region.

- a chronological tileset which works for all Dutch buildings available from the stex and lex, but I don't know if I can release it.

- a truckprop replacement for all American truck props (e.g. PEG's and the BSC ones) with Simcityfreak666 euro truck props. I'm working together with him and he has helped me alot with rendering all sorts of extra truck variants which I needed. The are only a couple left before its complete.

- some emergency automata reskins for other coutry's. I will try to finish some soon.

Most of my stuff is Dutch themed, but some will suit the other Euro players.
More details tomorrow.

-- Topic name changed of every post on explicit request of the author.
MRTNRLN (Moderator)

mgarcia

Wasoethoudt - you are awesome.  I love your automata and have replaced every van that can be replaced with your creations. Only one I don't use is the police car because it is not available as a prop and I hate the original boxes from the game.  It is awesome to hear that you are at it again. Amazing work!

MandelSoft

The trucks set looks deffinitly ready for release! If you're finished the last few of them and package them up (maybe I can help you with that, since I know how to write installers and proper read-me's), I'll be happy to see it on the STEX :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

CasperVg

Looking really good. That's a great set of Dutch-themed custom content that you've grouped, and the trucks look nice as well.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

w_swietwoot

About the truckset:

I've done the exemplar file editing + prop rotating and kept a list of what I've done. There are more than 100 different props or families which have been changed. With this mod there is no need for relotting. Just throw this in the back of your plugins file and your off.
Special thanks to SimCityFreak666 who does the batting and rendering and helped me a lot. The BAT files remain his property, so I can't change them.

This file changes truck props of the following proppacks:
* BSC Mega Props Jes Vol01 to 09
* PEG CDK3 PropsPack Vehicles Vol01
* BSC Mega Props SG Vol01
* BSC Mega Props Gascooker Vol01
And these propfamilies:
* FrankU Farm PropFamilies Maxis and BSC V1.1
* Paeng Modular Truckstop Pack v100

- No SPAM support btw, perhaps in a version 2.0...
- No logg trucks

The initial prop pack file by SCF666 is a dependency. And, offcourse, you need lots with these props to see results of this mod, but are no actual dependencies.

Known issues and will have to be addressed first:
-almost fixed...- does not work for some truck props for Jes'Props -> SCF is working to render the missing ones (almost all done, only one, no two wrong still...)
-fixed!- three props are visually incorrect in some views. Some of those 22.5 deg. ones are split in half as you can see.
-fixed!- if you used the props by Simcityfreak666 in other lots, some of these props will be rotated. I Think I need all the props I rotated again. Just the same ones with other instance numbers and add these to the set ->SCF will not like this news... :-[
-fixed!- I don't know if all the timed props will work properly, I'll have to double check this fist. FrankU explaned somewhere how this worked. I did not know about what he stated and will have to check if things are correct. (remains same as the ones I modd, so if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it...)
-fixed!- one small altego dhl truck is out of scale
-fixed!- pink tractor you see in the picture needs to go!

@mgarcia: thanks, I really apreciate that. Very nice to hear about that. Proper prop files for the cars are on the way.
@mrtnrln: the issues noted above and the new, up to date and resized pics (I've made the pictures much smaller) will show that that will need to be fixed first. But thanks alot for the offer, I will probably use your help, tnx.
@CasperVg: thanks. Glad you like it.

noahclem

Great work! I'm especially interested in the truck project. Those historical Dutch building sets must have been a lot of work! Though I've never built a Dutch city that seems very useful and I hope you're able to share it with the community.

FrankU

Hi Wouter,

Finally I took some time to check your files.

1. The small props
The postbox is definitely good to be used.
The small phonebooth is a funny thing that willnot really be recognized, I fear. I think I would not use it.
The large phonebooth is very useful .I also found out hat you can put one of the Maxis sign prop families (forgot to write down the name of it) over the billboard. This will give more variation.

2. The truck props
The shape of these truck props is nice. Also the variation in shapes and types, including the advertisements, of the trucks is very good. That I do really like. The coloring and detailing is a bit too toy-like though. The colours are a bit too bright and detailling is missing. Pity. It would be nice if this could be improved.
Replacing props by other props, especially if there is someting with timing or not: this is very risky! It reminds me of the Prop Pox problem. I don't know if this is exactly the prop pox source, but I would not fool around with this!
You could maybe replace the original model name (in the RKT property) in the original prop exemplars by the model name of your own truck. For that you would probably need permission from the original makers of the props.

I think it will be wiser to release the props as separate files. Of course we would need to repace the SG, GC and JES trucks by yours. But that's not really a problem, now is it?
I promise you on this spot that when you release the set as separate props, with additional prop families, that I will make a European version of the Warehouse set.

3. Automata replacements
I took a short look. The bus is indeed replaced. I  think it is a bit too bright white, but the brightness is apparently a property of these automata, because I see that with almost all automata-replacements that I have tried out (e.g. Oppie, Tag-One).
The police and fire truck: I see no difference, but I must admit that I don't really care about these automata. So I don't bother. Sorry to offend you...?

4. The building style controller
How does it work exactly? I unpacked your upload in my plugins directory, in the ZZZ_WAS folder. Then I unpacked the desc files and the lot files. I started the game. I saw the four building styles. But I guess I have to block the Maxis buildings? What happens with all non Dutch growables? They do grow too, or not? Do the obey the original four building styles?
I don't understand how the non Dutch growables will react to your mod. Also: there is not a good collection of Dutch lots for all stages, so I fear that with only the Dutch lots and a blocker of Maxis the game will not grow correctly. What are your thinkings about this?

Greetings,
Frank

gn_leugim

I may be wrong but, for the style selection feature, you must provide the display mode for the tile set and a patch to all Dutch buildings so far, assigning them the "new" tile set, according to their age. Also, keeping track of that, releasing constant updates to this last one would be a good policy too. or else every time a new Dutch building was realsed, they could end messed about its chronology. As I believe all of them are set to euro tileset, all new building would end up on the "after 1980".

w_swietwoot

First of all, I need to explain a couple of things first to get you all up to speed. This will be a couple of post, one for each subject.

The small props:
My first attemt at batting. It is supposed to add detail to SC4. So ony typical Dutch things will be in there. When possible, they will mod the original Maxis stuff.
Currently I've made these:
1 The postbox (first picture top of this page)-> original:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=postbus&um=1&hl=nl&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&biw=1357&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=fGDQ3Ud2RV2vlM:&imgrefurl=http://kniepertie.blogspot.com/2011_11_01_archive.html&docid=9nv8FjUd3H_iDM&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gkb0oBcxYSU/Trj9UWKK5lI/AAAAAAAAAzA/s4oUsqEFE5o/s1600/postbus1.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=-z4RT_fMLMGgOsepvYAM&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=218&sig=113507638268273403600&page=1&tbnh=155&tbnw=143&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=74&ty=86
2 The large phonebooth (second picture) -> original:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=kpn+telefooncel&um=1&hl=nl&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&biw=1357&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=JbVyzXoKLrACwM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fabrique.nl/het-werk/projecten/kpn-telefooncel/&docid=lXTtVJSY4r0PBM&imgurl=http://www.fabrique.nl/media/visuals/project-visual/KPN-telefooncel2_871.jpg&w=415&h=553&ei=Zz4RT92YE4PoObfC7JUD&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=216&sig=113507638268273403600&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=96&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=29&ty=75
I will include extra replacements, at least for the phonebooths in the RTMT set and some extra families like Franku said.
3 A small phonebooth

like this one, but is less recognizable like FrankU said. Maxis made a small yellow phonebooth, and this, I thought, is the NL replacement. Since I've made it I've seen it in a couple of places:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=kpn+telefooncel&um=1&hl=nl&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&biw=1357&bih=729&tbm=isch&tbnid=OZlp12Hy3C_skM:&imgrefurl=http://www.nieuwemobiel.nl/010513/4309/KPN-stopt-met-telefooncel.html&docid=s-BAhL4HVboZ2M&imgurl=http://www.nieuwemobiel.nl/images/nieuws/201111-2304356867_b273cfd9fe_o.jpg&w=500&h=334&ei=Zz4RT92YE4PoObfC7JUD&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=678&vpy=173&dur=151&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=189&ty=99&sig=113507638268273403600&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=151&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0

Things I will try to make in the near future:
1 ANWB yellow emergencyphone on the highway (ANWB praatpaal)
2 Paid parking signs NL Style
3 Dumpsters NL style
3 Glass/paper/cloths collector bins (don't know what they are called but perhaps both in above ground and underground variants)
4 Poles for on the pavements (a couple of variations)
5 Large residential bins (called a kliko)
6 Highway hundredmetre info sing (hectometerpaal)
These are what I thought of, but pehaps you will give me some good ideas for other props you'd like to see.

w_swietwoot

The tileset:
It's a work in progress, and consists of the following:
- Its a buildingstyle controller menu update (shown in the picture)
- Edited .sc4desc and .sc4lot in the following way:
Chicago = pre 1850
New York = 1850 - 1940
Houston = 1950 - 1980
Euro = 1980 - nu

and:
Low D. = small village sized buildings (2 stories max, no W2W)
Med D. = small town size (2 or 3 stories max, W2W or small appartment or flat buildings)
Hig D. = city (all over 3 stories, W2W or flats and skyscrapers)

With the addition:
for pre 1850 -> Only the historic buildings for the towncentres. There were no flats, so for example all VDA A'dam buildings are HD
for 1850 - 1940 -> many of the charming and higly decorated late 19 century eurostyle buildings or the more modern 1930s architecture styles could grow here
for 1950 - 1980 -> Medium highrise will grow on MD in this building style. This is where all the cheap post war housing project go.
for 1980 - nu -> For all the modern buidings. Medium highrise will grow on MD, in modern towns, because currently highrise buildings are built in smaler towns

I've not made any of the buildings myself ofcourse, they are made by others such as Haarlemmergold of Vanderaap. So I've only edited al the .sc4desc and .sc4lot files and currently I've got a rather unsorted set of patched files for all the Dutch buildings available on the stex and lex. The old sc4desc and .sc4lot files need to be deleted and replaced with the edited ones, and yes, maxis buildings need to be blocked. But I need to sort things a bit, and need to keep things more organised.
I'm doing the same for all the maxis buildings and for all the buildings I've downloaded. I've got the R buildings ready, but none of the C buildings yet. As you can understand, this will be a lot of dependencies en fiddling around, so thats why this mod will probably not be going public. And when new buildings will become available, I'll would need to update the files (like gm_leugim said).

w_swietwoot

The automata:
I've tried to make them look like the real ones as much as possible.
Some of the original vehicles on witch they are based:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=sprinter+politie&um=1&hl=nl&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&biw=1600&bih=815&tbm=isch&tbnid=s8yAVBIxDbgtEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.hulpverleningsforum.nl/index.php%3Ftopic%3D24964.20&docid=IGGx0XGQZ0GGYM&imgurl=http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3149/44dpth.jpg&w=768&h=512&ei=UVIRT4z9IoWbOrOLhd0P&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=938&vpy=468&dur=1633&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=133&ty=94&sig=113507638268273403600&page=1&tbnh=143&tbnw=182&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0
and:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=ambulance&um=1&hl=nl&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-Address&biw=1600&bih=815&tbm=isch&tbnid=iA2NyYUHia0IbM:&imgrefurl=http://www.medicalfacts.nl/2009/09/30/ambulance-organisaties-willen-ambulance-simulator-aanschaffen/&docid=YJ12rNPqOD785M&imgurl=http://www.medicalfacts.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ambulance.jpg&w=800&h=577&ei=glIRT6mLE4WBOuSRmfIF&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1293&vpy=357&dur=366&hovh=191&hovw=264&tx=122&ty=93&sig=113507638268273403600&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=191&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:0

- I'm thinking of making complete sets for Sweden, GB, Belgium and Norway. Perhaps a Luxemburg version, because this is the beneLUX team I guess.
- I've made them into props. Used the quick and dirty way explained here on the forum somewhere by Cogeo:

@ Franku, they are a bit bright. Never really noticed. What do you mean with not seeing any difference?

MandelSoft

So, if I get it right, the building style controller mod only adds dutch buildings to the existing sets (and leave the rest of the Maxis lots intact). Of that's so, it's not a bad idea after all, since these buildings represent the same age group. You can also add foreign buildings to the set, like old Euro-styled buildings to the pre-1890 set.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

w_swietwoot

That was what I needed to explain first. Now back to the progress on the trucks:
First, I have not made any of those truck props, and the propfile (with only the actual props) will be updated by SCF (simcityfrak666). Currently it is this file on the STEX: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25607-european-truck-prop-pack-vol-1/
So I've got new props in from SCF to finish the set, so I will implement them this weekend. I will look at those timed stuff too. Don't know how that works, so if any one knows if it will cause problems or where i can find info regarding this please let me know. I will try to look if I can find info myself.
This issue:
--- - if you used the props by Simcityfreak666 in other lots, some of these props will be rotated. I Think I need all the props I rotated again. Just the same ones with other instance numbers and add these to the set ->SCF will not like this news...---
I don't think this will be fixed, so if you used the original props somewhere you might go and edit the lot in the LE, and then replace the lot ingame too. But if you know how to use the original props in your own lots, I guess you will also know how to do this. I've only found one lot on the internet which uses these props, and SCF will aske the maker if he wants to update the file.

ps: gn_leugim and franku: thanks for the feedback and taking time to look at things. Hopefully I've answered all you questions.

w_swietwoot

@mrtnrlnm:

How it works:
in the PIMX,  if you change any building to grow in chicago only, it will grow ingame as a pre 1850's buildings (it still is chicago style, but ingame it shows 'pre 1850'). Secondly you will need to change the zone on which it grows. The lotpropertyzonetype can only be changed in the Reader, which takes more time (If anyone knows a simpler way of editing this property, please let me know).
The maxis buildings still grow the way they used to be, but only the buildingstyle controller looks different. You could put a block all maxis mod in your plugins if you don't want those anymore.

Also I'm working on an edited version of all the maxis buildings. So you won't get the typically American buildings and lots, but you do get the ones I thought could look good in a Dutch town (mainly the modern and eurostyle buildings). For this you need the block all maxis mod (except for the industial part, because the buildings style controller does never control the industial buildings) and you will get new .sc4lot and .sc4desc files for the maxis stuff.

QuoteYou can also add foreign buildings to the set, like old Euro-styled buildings to the pre-1890 set.
yep, it will be rather modular, so I will add patched files for buildings I like, and perhaps others can do the same. Only thing is where to keep all the files and the administration of all the dependencies?

gn_leugim

But, if you go to PIMX and change the desc. file there, you will get a complete desc. file updated. may not be a big deal, but if you think, you will have dozens, if not hundreds of desc. files, which will weight something at the end.

If you make a single dat. file for all buildings, only with the tileset properties, of each building, it I'll be easier for users, as: 1- lower size and faster loading and 2- it will be a updated only, ti be placed in a z-folder, and there wont be the need to search for the older desc. files to replace.

cogeo

Quite interesting!!!

Making a phonebooth for RTMT is very easy, just take one of the existing RTMT prop-files for phonebooths, and change it so that it references your model instead. No need to use PM or PIMX, as you don't want a new ID here (RTMT references the phonebooth prop by instance ID).

Btw the model has some room for improvement, I believe.  Very little detail is shown (talking about the small one), and it's hardly recognizable. I would say, try rendering it in HD; this will both make more detail visible and help reduce the "jaggies". You can also make the glass (semi)transparent, if the LODshell is quite tight.

As for RTMT, you can also make a complete Dutch theme (instead of just a phonebooth), comprising a bus stop (or a set of bus stops), subway entrance(s), bus-sign and timetable. Or even road markings (textures).

w_swietwoot

I (finally...) begin to understand what you are saying, gn_leugim. That way there won't be a need to find and remove all the old ones. Great plan. 1 Dat might be not handy for those not using all the buildings. They will get brown boxes if lots are loaded without the originals installed.
Perhaps two versions, one big DAT file, and a separate version for those seeking a modular version.

Quotejust take one of the existing RTMT prop-files for phonebooths
you mean change its exemplar file, and then change the recource key type to point to the new props sc4model file right? Thats the same as how I've done all the trucks.
Do I need the real 3dmax for high resolution rendering? I bearly understand gmax yet, I've made the models in SolidWorks because I do understand this program. And about the transparency, when I put it on less than 50% it doesn't show any glass at all when I export it, so 51% seems to be the minimal but it is a bit dark. Í will check if the small models glass actually is tranparent, like the big phone booth is. Having imported the model from SW, the render 2 faced function doesn't work properly, perhaps that could also be a reason why it's so dark (ps nice to meet you, I really like those logistics and of course the RTMT stuff you've made.).

gn_leugim

Quote1 Dat might be not handy for those not using all the buildings. They will get brown boxes if lots are loaded without the originals installed.
Perhaps two versions, one big DAT file, and a separate version for those seeking a modular version.

no realy, because for you to have brown boxes, the building has to grow in the first place (or the props show up on a lot, but we are talking about buildings here anyway)

if you have only the tileset propertie, there wont be enough data for a building to grow. example, lets say you have in your data file the tileset properties for building A. Unless you have the rest of the desc. file, or a lot set for A to grow on, you wont have A growing on your cities. if it does not grow, you dont have brown boxes ;)

FrankU

Hi Wouter,

No, I see the original Maxis police cars and fire trucks, not the ones you show in your image.
I put the four dat-files in my plugins, in a separate ZZZ_WAS folder. So they load last, you never know if this improves things.
Did I something wrong? It seems quite obvious.
And now that I saw them in your image I might like them in my game (although I haven't really played for half a year).

Frank

w_swietwoot

He Frank, I've downloaded the police car and the fire trucks files to check them. I've put the files in the root of the plugins folder. It's my rather empty (well, except for your farms project files) test plugins folder. Started the game and they instantly work. So I'm puzzled ()what(). They show even without the dependencies I said you would need in the readme. The folder should not make a difference. I've also tested it when the files were in a ZZZ_WAS folder, worked ok too.

@gn_leugim
Aha, that makes it even easier. Then it should be rather fool proof I guess. Only I will have to make the updates when needed, and then people will have to update their dat file and it should be ok. I think I'm almost where you are in understanding this... ???
;D