• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

w_swietwoot's Projects

Started by w_swietwoot, January 07, 2012, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

I like it, model wise, but the textures can be way more de-saturated. Also, I would go for more brownish bricks instead of red ones...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

w_swietwoot

you are correct so it's desaturated:

And an ingame picture for the scale (with the old textures):

noahclem

Exciting new project! The building has a very interesting style  :thumbsup:

vester

Looks great.

... and the new textures is an improvement.

This reminds me of house along the west cost of Jutland.

Here is a picture from the open air museum north of Copenhagen:

The farm in the middle, use to stand in Eiderstedt in Schleswig-Holstein.

FrankU

Wouter, this is fantastic!  &apls

This will be a perfect farmhouse for an additional set of farms in my Dutch Farms set. But wait.... first I have to finish the farm fields and the farms set with mrbisonm.
But it's beautiful! The scale looks good to me and the textures are great. Don't make them too brownish: the bricks in Groningen are quite red.

Frank

gn_leugim

the only issue I see here is the mental ray XD I don't like it as much as regular (BAT?) render engine :P

apart from that, nicely done :)

FrankU

Quote from: gn_leugim on March 14, 2013, 02:05:07 AM
the only issue I see here is the mental ray XD I don't like it as much as regular (BAT?) render engine :P

What is that?

And I forgot: Vester, the barn you show looks even more like the back side of the farm houses we have in Friesland. Maybe Wouter is going to make one like that too?

w_swietwoot

Hi, seems to me you are all very positive. I'm nearly finished, I only want to make the roof texture a bit less repetitive. I still needs lotting though.

Vester, that's very much alike to our sheds. I've looked it up on the wikipedia and it states they originate from the same (pre) medieval northern (viking?) type farms.

Frank, a Frisian farm is something I wanted to do aswell. I thought making this farm would be a walk in the park but it took me longer than expected to make this model. Its not difficult but there are many details and the Frisian farm has even more details...

Gn, I've noticed slight differences wit gmax and the bat4max aswell. But I'm not using the gmax stuff because importing step-files into gmax and getting it to render properly is a pain. The 2-sided option just doesn't work with my files, showing holes everywhere. Oh, I can't be bothered learning to model with gmax, it annoys me so I'm using a different program.

vester

Quote from: w_swietwoot on March 15, 2013, 10:19:27 AM
Vester, that's very much alike to our sheds. I've looked it up on the wikipedia and it states they originate from the same (pre) medieval northern (viking?) type farms.

...a Frisian farm ...

Thinking about it, that area is called Nordfriesland (North Friesland / North Frisia).

You primary see that sort of house in Denmark around Vadehavet / Wadden Sea.

gn_leugim

I jsut said that in a amusing sense :P

but, you may try to see if there is other render engine on the max.
Quote from: FrankU on March 14, 2013, 03:02:43 AM
Quote from: gn_leugim on March 14, 2013, 02:05:07 AM

What is that?

And I forgot: Vester, the barn you show looks even more like the back side of the farm houses we have in Friesland. Maybe Wouter is going to make one like that too?

Mental Ray is the render engine of Max, which makes the model look sightly different from those rendered in gMax.

w_swietwoot

Hi, I've added a Frisian-style farm, commonly found in this province. The name of this type is, when literally translated, a head-neck-torso farm.

I will add 3 sheds of the same type, derrived from these models.  I'll try to finish those this or next week.

FrankU

Hi Wouter,

Did I tell you already that the models are fantastic and that the size of them is accurate in combination with other commonly used farming props?
I'd say: don't change anything, but add a few barns and sheds.

w_swietwoot

Well, after a small period of absense I felt like making something new again and it's time to show you. These are the first versions and will be a bit rough around the edges but anyway, tell me what you think.
Also more variations on these two themes are in the pipeline. More different models (albeit similar) and some brick and roof colour variations. These building styles are very common in the Netherlands and were missing from my sc4 plugins. Especially those sixties rowhouses seem to be built everywhere. My plan is to make a small set of generic versions to fill this gap.

1930's rowhouses (first theme):

1960's rowhouses (second theme):

Hope you like it, gr.

FrankU

Hey Wouter,

Oh yes They are great! Both look quite perfect to my eye. The architecture, which is my profession, is good.

Consider the dakkapellen: we have some already available as separate pros inthe BNL Essentials. You might use these, or add some new separate ones for this project.

vortext

Rowhouses are sorely missing indeed so they'll be a welcome addition!  :thumbsup:

The sixties rowhouse looks great, though for the thirties rowhouse you might want to read up on Amsterdamse School as the dimensions seem a little of to me. Maybe Frank has pointers to improve on this style.

Also, a few corner houses would be great as well!   ;)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

w_swietwoot

Thank you Frank, glad you like them, and thank you Vortex for your reply. I'm still fiddling around with them and made some minor changes, so another picture here:

and the reference:

The roof is darker, the white wooden frames less white and more details a bit sharper.
For the Amsterdamse School bit Vortex, I don't know if this building fits that style or if it might be a cheaper rip-off. I think it looks quite accurate to the RL building though shown here in the picture.

w_swietwoot

Girafe

Models are nice but I think you could upgrate the textures. They are a little bit too clean. Think about adding small details that do the difference between a common BAT and an excellent BAT  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

MTT9

They look really good! I would change the windows textures though (at least the 1960's ones) :)
You can call me Matt

w_swietwoot

Thanks again for the comments, Girafe and MTT9, I think you are both right. So I'm giving it another go.

I think I 'm finished with the 30s building (except nightlights and lotting that is, but that will come soon) unless you guys have a couple pointers still. I must say I'm feeling pleased about the result.

the result:

New are a weathered roof and a weathered tar-top for the garage. Gradients added to the bricks and to the garage door. And more details, but not very important though.

Now the 60ties set should get the same treatment, and some better window textures with more variety.
Gr.