• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Alex' Belgian BAT Thread

Started by alex_bervoets, May 16, 2011, 10:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brechtje

First of all, I must congratulate you with your terrific job on my old campus of the university of Ghent (The campus "Letteren en Wijsbegeerte" on the Blandijnberg, aka the "Boekentoren".)  Pity though you didn't made the building itself :D.

Are you having some other plans of making Belgian monuments? Otherwise, it would be cool if someone made a model of the Basiliek of Koekelberg, the royal palace  and the Justitiepaleis in Brussels

alex_bervoets

Thank you Brechtje...

nice to hear that somebody has a special relationship with "my" building  ;)  I'm a big fan of the Boekentoren because it would be the kind of buildings I would design as an architect...

I have a lot of plans but with every BAT I finish, three or more new buildings just made the list  :P
So I'm reducing the list to special Belgian buildings that I really like myself... Somewere on the list is the train station of Antwerp for example. But I don't think I'm good enough to BAT that beauty. So for now, I'm keeping it small to improve my skills.
I'll add them to the list but there are so many buildings I would like to do, if only I had 8 days in a week  :D

Anyhow, the Sint-denijs-Westrem Bat is on hold for now... If you want to know why: the answer is on the little blackoard on the left  ;) It's also the reason why I have chosen this building...  After that, I'm leaving on holiday till august 16. So I'm planning to finish it before the end of august!!!

alex_bervoets

OK... back in town... time to finish the Sint-Denijs-Westrem project !!
Update soon!

alex_bervoets

Received an email from simtropolis today... My booktower (V2) will be on the new "STEX collections"!!!  ()stsfd()

That gives me the energy to put some more effort in the Sint-Denijs-Westrem project!
Nightlights almost finished, but they have to be perfect now!  ;)

Trying to finish tomorow, see how it looks in the game, adjust where needed and render it later this week...

alex_bervoets

Here is a draft export to the game:

It appears to be too high? I've raised it by 133% but that doesn't seem to be necessary for lower buildings?
The lenght seems to be OK?

Oh and don't mind the ugly lot  :P

FrankU

Hi Alex,

I don't know the real building, but for an old city hall I think it is too small. The height of the floors is now comparable with the Maxis row houses. In real life I think the floors are quite some higher. The proportions of width and height are quite OK, so I think you should upscale the whole building by maybe another 133% or maybe even 150%. So the lot will be larger too.
Maybe you try to compare it with some Maxis rewards like the City Hall: does it lookout of scale there?
Good luck. Scale is tricky in SC4.

FrankU

supremec

I agree with FrankU, I had the same problem with my city hall.
A city hall must be stately  :thumbsup:
Click on the banner to see my BATs

alex_bervoets

Thank you for the comment guys...
but I think this city-hall doesn't belong in a large city (with tall buildings). So I made a better export and placed in a city with no high-rise buildings.

But my lot isn't looking like I designed it: the garden should be all grass, more trees, a hedge etc... and the front lot should all be small bricks with a fence around it. Does anybody knows why it looks this way? I've used PIMX for the first time, so I think I'm doing something wrong here?

WC_EEND

Much like Alex, I know the what the building looks like in RL and it looks about right heightwise actually.
As for the lot, did you lot it using the PIMX LE or create a basic lot in the PIMX LE and then continue in the Maxis LE?
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

alex_bervoets

Didn't use the Maxis LE... just PIMX LE. Some textures appear for a few seconds but dissapear again.

MandelSoft

It looks like it's a W2W building, so I feel like I'm missing something at the right side of the building (where the wall suddenly ends)...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

WC_EEND

at the end of the wall is a diagonal house (see here) so it is indeed W2W.

My LOT thread                                    

alex_bervoets

Ah yes... in real life, the street on that side is diagonal. So a building should be W2W against the gate...

I've tried to solve that with the lotting (a hedge starts at the gate), but that isn't working out like it should

WC_EEND

based on how the building fits on the lot, I think it should fit in quite nicely. If you want to try it out how it looks, you could try plopping one of Porkissimo's Parisian W2W's next to it.

My LOT thread                                    

alex_bervoets

While I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the Sint-denijs-westrem-lot, I was thinking about my next project... But I already know one big problem: how do I make a window in a tube? Or can I bend a rectangle wall with windows to a tube?
I'm using GMAX...

This is an example of what I'm trying to do:

And this is what I get when bending a rectangle wall:

It looks OK in the top view but in the perspective view you can clearly see a dent in the wall...
(ps: it's a wall with one window that I've copied and pasted to get around)

Crazy_Ivan80

looking good. finally something to download that's from home :)
I'm very interested to see the bat of the Boekentoren though.

alex_bervoets

vester

alex_bervoets

Quote from: vester on September 11, 2011, 03:25:52 AM
How does the texture look ?

Texture?  ???  I'm a bit confused... Which BAT?

alex_bervoets

Begun work on my new project... here's a teaser: