• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

007's B.A.T.ing Room

Started by peter007, October 04, 2010, 03:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter007

Welcome to page 2
Iam in fourth class on school and I was just changing my ciriculum and was certain to get Computer Science but my team leader said that it is´nt useful because I already knew everything.  :P

on-topic
I am a little further with the development of my tower
Here are some pics

from left to right
1The top of the tower
2The steel frame of the tower
3The antenna's just above the concrete cylinder

Here's a pic where I'm basing my model on

peter007

Hello everybody The holiday has start so I have plenty of time to amke more and more BATs
My tower gets rest so I can focus on an other project.

like a new kind of plazas and especially the cafés and the shops on the plazas.

I've got a pic from the first café and some things look a little bit odd especially the roof :-[
Does someone know how to fix these textures? Also the nightlighting the lights should be on every night but the shine 24 hours a day  ???
Does someone know to fix this problem to?

(before I forget here are the pictures)

Now I'm looking to the building and I see that it could also be a supermarket  &mmm

peter007

Hello when I was waiting for an answer I produced a magnific croner lot (at least in my mind) now I'm tryng to make it in the BAT and I have to say that it's very difficult. It's even more difficult that I don't have any pictures

It's a lot of bending work and it's going to be a cinema (or a convention center) %confuso I don't know
The name is UTOPOLIS and you can see that as you enter but now it's a little bit vague :-[

peter007

Some development from my work  ;)

With this building you can look inside so I need some furniture to place in the building. Does someone know how to do that fast
(or a little trick to make it look like).

And what do you guys think of the entrance doos it need doors or is it good enough now.

jmyers2043

Quotewhat do you guys think of the entrance doors it need doors

I think when put into the game that the maxis pavement will look to go too far underneath. I'd put some doors on the model for that reason. Maybe even raising the building with a foundation to add a couple of curved steps to the front entrance too.

QuoteI need some furniture to place in the building

I think that I'd start by hiding the glass trapezoids. Continue to model as if they were not there. That would include the floor, tables, chairs, potted plants, and maybe some people. You'll find some stuff here 

http://www.archidom.net/ddd/mod_human2.htm 

but you may wish to use these only as a start point as your poly count will get very high very fast. Use them in conjunction with the scale tool to determine how many tables then use gmax to render simpler shapes (boxes, circles, etc) to make your tables and chairs. Save your resources for putting the people inside the glass area. Unhide the trapezoids once the interior looks plausible.

(if it were my bat) I'd model some stairs and balcony's in the atrium area for the second and third floors.

I really like the shape of the building. I wish that I were that creative.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

peter007

jmyers2043

Thanks for your reply there aren't answering much peoples here but I'll stay on with posting.

I have filled the left atrium now and I think that it is good now (with moddeling) What you said for the entrance is a very nice idea and I think that the stairs will come in my model just 5 steps for the stair with a height of 1 I think.
And thanks of the link where I can get some stuff for my model (and a dumb question but this will work on gmax and on 3dsmax   :-[ )
And those balconies were the plan but for the right atrium stairs are good option but very difficult

A little update

I filled the left atrium this was the easyiest atrium because it's a straight atrium. The right atrium stands on a 30 degree corner So everything has turned 30 degree and this is very diffucult.

I think this building will be landmark and a growable commercial CO$$$ building with a sound when you plop (just like the Coca-Cola Building)

peter007

Hello everybody the texturing can almost start the right atrium is filled with a staircaseand I added an stair under the building

here's a pic

anyone some comments?

Buzzit

Quote from: peter007 on October 27, 2010, 01:33:23 PM
Hello everybody the texturing can almost start the right atrium is filled with a staircaseand I added an stair under the building

here's a pic

anyone some comments?

incredible detail out there peter! &apls
i assuming your going to render that in HD?

peter007

@ Buzzit
Quote from: Buzzit on October 27, 2010, 04:06:33 PM
incredible detail out there peter! &apls
i assuming your going to render that in HD?

well I don't know I don't have a very fast laptop (just say terrible) so I think I can't do that because my laptop give problems already with this building so it could happen that it also going to be rendered in SD

And does someone know an site to get textures because to make everything myself ??  ()sad()

Girafe

Good work, I really like the atriums, and wait for future renders with glass textures  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

jmyers2043

Quotedoes someone know an site to get textures because to make everything myself

Before I answer, what paint program do you have? I use Paint Shop Pro. I find it does everything I want. Jeroni and Peg also use it - at the last I knew. A lot of folk use the more expensive Photoshop. Gimp, is a free paint program and I believe is the one that Tag_One uses. And Tag has done some really good texturing recently. Gimp has layering capability. That will be one of your must used functions. 

I find (and maybe you will too) there is no such thing as a perfect texture. I'm always touching the textures up. Adding gradients, shadows, or dirt smudges. You will certainly have to make the textures lighter, darker, more coloful, less colorful to fit the Maxis color palette.

Here's a link for a list of texture sites.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1563.0

Good Luck

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

peter007

Repiies;

@Girafe - Thanks I'm glad that you visit this topic too  ;)

@jmyers2043 - Thanks for the list of textures. Those programs are good i'm used to use the plain paint because I don't have textured much but now I upgraded paint shop pro  :). It does help me a lot and some textures does fit good in this building, but you are right the perfect texture do you make yourself.

Just a little bit textured I will change the roof texture certainly. But the stair texture is right I think, or maybe a little bit darker

peter007

Now I got my building fully textured and I don't know wether it's good or not

Just take a look at building

Something to bright in't it?

WC_EEND

I think it looks absolutely great. The floor texture (the one with the stairs outside) seems a tad to bright in my opinion. I'm curious about the nightlights.
Veel succes (English: good luck!)

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Girafe

Good progress !!

1. Be careful your texture has a junction.

2. Seems the connection is not perfect and you have a "gap"

3. Textures are not well integrate to the BAT, what it is ? vegetal walls ?

4. Color of atrium is too dark for me, render glass textures with gmax is very hard, maybe try some reflexion and above all put a noise effect it will be better.

5. You need maybe more details, conditional air on the roof maybe, ads on the walls etc

6. Be careful with the characters, are they on the scale of sc4's characters (so 4-5 m tall).

Some ways you could upgrate your BAT, but as I said you are in the good way  :thumbsup: 
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

peter007

@girafe thanks I will show you a fast update in a replie  ::)

Quote from: Girafe on October 28, 2010, 01:48:45 PM
Good progress !!

(the second floor isn't good previewed)

[check]1. Be careful your texture has a junction.

[check]2. Seems the connection is not perfect and you have a "gap"

[check]3. Textures are not well integrate to the BAT, what it is ? vegetal walls ?

The color of the windows are to difficult to change if someone know a tutorial please let me show it  "$Deal"$
4. Color of atrium is too dark for me, render glass textures with gmax is very hard, maybe try some reflexion and above all put a noise effect it will be better.

[check]5. You need maybe more details, conditional air on the roof maybe, ads on the walls etc

[check]6. Be careful with the characters, are they on the scale of sc4's characters (so 4-5 m tall).

Some ways you could upgrate your BAT, but as I said you are in the good way  :thumbsup: 

madhatter106

Quote from: jmyers2043 on October 28, 2010, 04:09:30 AM
I find (and maybe you will too) there is no such thing as a perfect texture. I'm always touching the textures up. Adding gradients, shadows, or dirt smudges. You will certainly have to make the textures lighter, darker, more coloful, less colorful to fit the Maxis color palette.

Quite right - here is something I wrote ages back in someone else's BAT thread, all from my own experience...

Great textures are made, not found.

Never, ever, do I end up locating a texture online and using that texture directly in a BAT without first altering it in some form or fashion - reducing the contrast, adding shading or shadowing, changing the color, tweaking the saturation levels, adding gradients, pulling and pushing little details in and out of it, adding and arranging layers of grime or paint or dirt or wear. And then testing it in the preview mode, and then going back to refine and refine some more. Hell, even the textures that Maxis provided with the BAT of their brick walls and shingle roofs - I've used those as a base once in a while, but manipulated them in some way as to arrive at a "good" texture.

Simply put, you're not going to find a treasure trove of perfectly suitable textures that you can immediately use for your BATs. There is no magic bullet for getting around this - image manipulation is a big, big part of texturing for your BATs, and I often find that textures can make or break a BAT. I'll take a building with mediocre modelling and fantastic textures over something that has great modelled details but flat color textures (or even worse, gmax colors.)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

peter007

G'day folks

I'm back because my school is some more 'quiet' these days, it's not shouting for homework & tests anymore. So i've got more time to BAT. Well when I'm now starting with my new Batting project which is some kinda billboards, but I've got some questions for you; What is the height of an vehicle passing a road an how wide is a road actually. (in BAT meters) When I have this information I can start BATing billboards and show my work to you. I already have some sketches so I know what I'm going to build.
And my last question was if anyone got a glass texturing tutorial because I'm certainly not finished with the glass textures on that building so I surely need your help!

peter007

Here's my new work. A radio tower. What do you think?