• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Released: SAM-7 Asphalt Street Textures (Hableurg) Override

Started by Catalyst, August 07, 2014, 09:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: eggman121 on January 30, 2016, 08:32:30 PM
Sorry that I have not replied earlier &mmm...

In any case I do plan to make a generic set of signs with coded IIDs so as long as the correct sign pack is included the pack will be picked up with the correct localized T21 BATs. I do plan to put the sign IIDs in a logical fashion and will present a spreadsheet to compliment when the time comes so other avid BATers can make their own signs to work with the T21 exemplars.

The thing is, I don't use or know of any good generic US signs. It would take me five minutes to make a set of prop overrides using the same IDs as Girafe's road signs. The logic being that if you are a US user, even if you had installed the EU signs pack, you'd rather see US signs, so overrides should not present a problem. That way, US (or any other) signs could simply show on the existing T21's, without any major work.

So if anyone just gives me a link/details of where to find such props, for the few signs I've used, I'm happy to make them compatible, US or otherwise. No one did this, so I simply didn't pursue it further. I'm sure these props exist, someone just needs to point them out to me and you can consider it done.

At the time I was in no position to make signs or anything else. But even though I could BAT some now, I have no motivation to do so. If I were to spend my time batting signs, you can bet they will be UK-themed, I have no interest in making US content. I strive to make mods that fit with everyone's game, for example providing US and RHD support, the former would not have been part of Catalyst's plans for SAM7 at all. Before I could "fix" such mods myself, I always found it disappointing when a great mod I wanted, wouldn't fit my game. I'm mindful of taking reasonable steps to avoid this wherever possible. I know many creators do not take requests, but I'm easy going about it. Doesn't mean I will make everything, it just means I'm open to suggestions which help towards my goal of making my mods work for as many users as possible. But if no one cares enough about such things to ask, I'm not motivated to pursue every avenue on my own.

The idea of one set of unified sign ID's is a good one however. In this regard, it would be just as easy to create prop overrides using your IDs linked to Girafe's road signs for this purpose.

eggman121

Quote from: mgb204 on January 31, 2016, 12:50:20 AM
The thing is, I don't use or know of any good generic US signs. It would take me five minutes to make a set of prop overrides using the same IDs as Girafe's road signs. The logic being that if you are a US user, even if you had installed the EU signs pack, you'd rather see US signs, so overrides should not present a problem. That way, US (or any other) signs could simply show on the existing T21's, without any major work.

It is a stretch for me as well since I am in Australia where Signs vary state by state. My proposition was that anybody could BAT signs to suit their purposes. I hope I am not putting any pressure on anyone if that is implied (I hope I did not imply that  &mmm ). That was not the reason about the post. I am going to have limited time going forward this coming year so I have to pick my projects wisely. I can happily adapt signs when the time comes. If people would like localized signs for their area I am more than happy to provide the technical basis but I do understand with the BATing comes the time and effort people have to invest to make those props. This was more of a general proposition. I'm not asking anyone to do anything on any project, my view is that if you want something for the game badly that the said person will attempt to do it themselves. If others want the same thing they will help out. That is good practice.

Sorry if I was misunderstood. My sincere apology.

-eggman121

mgb204

Bah, I didn't mean to make that into some sort of rebuttal. I'm just moaning a little due to my disappointment with a lack of involvement from the community at large. You are the last person I would single out, considering all your efforts on the creation side of things.

More specifically I mean the user side, those people who don't have time to pop a comment into a development thread or interact with creators. The point being, had someone who wanted such a thing, pointed me in the direction of the props, it would have been really easy to realise. Since I imagine someone created such a thing at some point, it's a little disappointing that no one came forward with anything. I'd gladly extend support of the T21 mod, it was a lot of effort since I don't like making T21s, I'd like to see as many users as possible utilising it.

I certainly didn't feel pressured into making props, as I said, feel free to suggest, prepare for me to say no also however. I apologise unreservedly if I made it seem like I was complaining at you though Stephen, that was never my intention.

Anyhow, I'll try and end on a more light-hearted note here... The good news is TGN versions of SAM7 are now also on the LEX, enjoy  :).

Quote from: Girafe on January 30, 2016, 01:14:36 PM
Did you tweak a little bit the texture for the railroad crossing, I don t remember this one, and I kinda love this one.

Hope this roundabout texture could be fixed soon  ::)

Rail crossings were re-done, along with the roundabouts and a number of other improvements. Mostly a case of applying skills I simply never had when I first worked on them. I've been through every last texture and didn't spot any issues. But if you find anything amiss, as always I'd love to know about/fix it. Even with such a small mod, having so many variations and options, it's very hard to test everything.

mgb204

Messing with the SAM7 Bikepaths mod today, mainly adding T21s for the new WRC textures. The refreshed NAM36 version will be released in the near-ish future. Anyhow, oddly for me I really got into making T21s for a few hours and managed to come up with this congested set of signage:

I've shown the intersection in two rotations so you can see everything properly. I'm not sure about releasing this particular setup, the issue being how well it'll play with other SRM variants. I'm using the UK set of SRM and everything is LHD that you see here. But the real issue is if other SRM variants just work (i.e lights and poles use the same IDs), plus the consideration of making the SRM a dependency for the T21 mod?

If nothing else the rest of the road signage will make it to the final release, I'll just replace the traffic lights with Stop/Give Way signage instead. I've also covered a few new intersections to add more road signage to them, I'll also do my best to add Diagonal Street lights whilst I'm at it.

metarvo

T21 is a powerful means of adding detail to a scene which is underutilized IMO.  You've done an excellent job of implementing it here.  Splendid!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

noahclem

Wow, that looks great  &apls  I should really start using that network....

mgb204

Some more progress on the T21s tonight. Now most of the Ortho Street/Road intersections have signage, as do the Avenues. Diagonals are tricky since I have no diagonal signs to work with :(. But I managed to get working lights (and bikes) on the diagonals.

I showed this second setup on ST recently, but figured it's worth showing here too:

Because of the unique way avenues work code wise, the variants of this intersection will always come out right signage-wise.  :satisfied:

So having finished almost all I can for now, basically there is just the Diag StreetxRail crossings and adding lights onto the new WRCs to do. The later of those may not make the release, because the patterns to make sure they are spaced properly are very complex and I haven't figured it out yet. So with the LHD side otherwise complete, my attention turned to making RHD variants. This turned out pretty well allowing me to convert all LHD setups in less than an hour or so. Given I was in my RHD test area, I figured I'd try another set of SRM props which are more US-styled. As I had hoped, all the SRM prop variants appear to be using identical IDs, so in theory this intersection would match any SRM setup:

Since I have both LHD and RHD variants as part of the T21 mod, that means it's a viable option to include in the release version. Which really just leaves the question of making SRM an additional dependency? Since making more options is not really something I like the idea of, not for 2 T21s anyhow. Worst case, I can offer these special SRM junctions as a forum attachment/override, but for now i'm undecided on the issue.

Whilst I'm here, time to show you the new WRC textures. I've had these around 6 months, since I made them whilst assisting Eggman with adding this feature to NAM36.

Top Left / Right is the Large 90° Curve's two junctions. Then on the bottom is the S-Curve and Small 90° Curve.

I know some of the junction/crossing textures aren't exactly ideal. But the geometry and re-use of textures for the WRCs, especially for the 90 Degree ones, made it difficult to do these any other way. I think they are OK, even if a little skewed in places.

Quote from: metarvo on November 15, 2017, 05:10:03 PM
T21 is a powerful means of adding detail to a scene which is underutilized IMO.  You've done an excellent job of implementing it here.  Splendid!

Thanks Metarvo and Noahclem for the comments.

Indeed T21s are hugely overlooked if you ask me. OK a T21 mod might take a lot of work, but once done, no sign lots cluttering my menus and I never have to place them manually. Overall it should be a huge time saver in practise to have a solid set of them. Not to mention, you can't get props onto networks (sans tricks), any other way.

Once I've a base set, I will port the signs to other SAM sets, but I've bigger plans afoot eventually. I must admit, sometimes I really hate making the T21s, but I finally found a more efficient method of working, no more messing about in the Lot Editor this time. Aside from the lights on the WRCs, it's actually been refreshingly quick to create these. As such, I'm hoping I can make progress on my UK T21 mod in the near-ish future.

FrankU

I have neglected this thread for quite a while. Stupid, I know now. This is great work! These rroads are very good for my Dutch theme, on which I should do some work.....

brick_mortimer

I use this version of SAM7 a lot.
The new WRC textures look super  &apls
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

belfastsocrates

This is superb work. The inclusion of signs in the T21 mod will save a lot of effort in-game and add significant realism to street/road scenes.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

noahclem

Sure is looking great  &apls I finally did switch from the old ones to these ;)

Badsim

Hi Robin ,

After reading a lot of records about T21's Moding , I did never dare to face it . Your work here is impressive and the result , purely  awesome . &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °