• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Anyone else having this problem? Since I installed the new NAM, dragging two plain old vanilla avenues into a crossroads ... doesn't seem to work? Specifically, as I drag the second avenue across the first, the intersection goes the darker yellow color that seems to indicate that an override is happening...

...but the result is as shown below. I assume this is something to do w the new FTL implementation? Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

mgb204

Quote from: ozan1234567890 on September 18, 2017, 07:26:43 AM
I wanted to use it for a station. Somehow during my first trys I managed to build a diag DTR to two ortho STR splitter (just like i the pic with STRs on the left side). First i didnt needed it but now i would like to replicate it, but i cant figure out how to build it. Anyone got a quick tut for me?

Look inside the folder "Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Documentation". Open the file 1-start.html, click on the RRW feature guide, these can be found under "Combination Turnouts". Note that all the other special RRW pieces are also shown here too.

Quote from: Tyberius06 on September 18, 2017, 08:15:15 AM
Anyway, so I need the original lot and the new lot in the same time (the 2 file names are identical), but I understand well, the new one will load later, so it will override some of the datas in the older one...
Is that correct-ish?

Rather than worry about what is happening, could you simply check in-game and see if everything is working? What I'm saying is that perhaps the DAMN versions were installed in error, that would explain why the NAM replacements/overrides do not appear in the regular menus.

Quote from: tomvsotis on September 19, 2017, 04:18:54 AM
Anyone else having this problem? Since I installed the new NAM, dragging two plain old vanilla avenues into a crossroads ... doesn't seem to work? Specifically, as I drag the second avenue across the first, the intersection goes the darker yellow color that seems to indicate that an override is happening...

Perhaps an outdated version of the INRUL file is still lurking inside the NAM folders. Re-Run the NAM installer with a custom install and ensure "Run Cleanitol and the Station Updater" is checked. That should ensure such files are removed.

Kitsune

Quote from: mgb204 on September 19, 2017, 05:40:13 AM

Quote from: tomvsotis on September 19, 2017, 04:18:54 AM

Perhaps an outdated version of the INRUL file is still lurking inside the NAM folders. Re-Run the NAM installer with a custom install and ensure "Run Cleanitol and the Station Updater" is checked. That should ensure such files are removed.

Tarkus menrtioned the solution here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1444.msg520745#msg520745

Quote from: Tarkus on September 14, 2017, 05:16:21 PM
Quote from: Kitsune on September 14, 2017, 06:11:26 AM
I did not select the old avenue turn lanes in the installer. Now when ever I draw an avexave intersection it stalls for a minute and produces this:

If you used it in the past, it's possible the INRULs might still be hiding in there.  Check the Plugins\Network Addon Mod\INRUL Overrides folder for the file "NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Avenues_Plugin_INRULs.dat", and if it's in there, delete it.

-Alex
~ NAM Team Member

tomvsotis

Quote from: Kitsune on September 19, 2017, 07:55:04 AM

Tarkus menrtioned the solution here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1444.msg520745#msg520745

"If you used it in the past, it's possible the INRULs might still be hiding in there.  Check the Plugins\Network Addon Mod\INRUL Overrides folder for the file "NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Avenues_Plugin_INRULs.dat", and if it's in there, delete it."

Ah, thank you both. (And to MGB204 for his proposed solution, too.) Deleting that file did the trick — it works perfectly now. :)

medit84truth

I got some weird network behavior going on.

1. Sims won't travel on ARD-3 network. 

At this point in the simulation, growth was steady, until I got to this area. Now, I know sometimes res zones will develop even when there's no route to nearby jobs, but I also know that they sometimes won't.

The first picture is a route query of the connecting avenue, which shows sims using that route to get to jobs.

I was puzzled as to why none of the developments to the left could find jobs I knew were available. Route query shows there not using the road.

Changed the ARD-3 to a regular road, and voilà, development continues like before....and the road is now being used, as indicated by the route query.

2. Road x Ave-6 Issue

This picture shows jobless sims and an unused route to jobs, even though the appropriate job type is available for them to take.

But hey, I could be wrong, so first I wanted to try something. I destroyed the road I initially had intersecting with the main artery and constructed a new road a few blocks down, which led to the same artery. Right after I did that, you can see new plots developing, and sims start to move in.

This picture shows the sims that previously couldn't find jobs using the new route I built to get to jobs....well at least some of them. The sims to the far right no longer have no job zots, but they're not using the route. I tried everything but I couldn't fix the issue for those sims and ended up demolishing the entire neighborhood, and just focused on developing other parts of the map.

3. No car traffic on RD-6 or Avenue network and possible road curve issues.

I thought it was weird that not one sim chose car as transportation. They're all using bus.

Okay, let me try something. I demolish the RD-6 and construct a regular road network.

And look-a-there, now we have car traffic. The distribution of travel types still seems off, but then I notice why. There's no car traffic coming from beyond the front end of the road curve.

Still within this scenario I want to try something else, just to see how the sims behave. I destroy the road and the bus stop, and then construct a NRD-4. As you can see, the sims that were using the bus (on the back side of the curve) are already unemployed because of this. I figured that was coming seeing as their cars seem to previously be allergic to that curve.

No NRD-4 issue, and some of the sims use it to get to jobs in the neighboring city (or the city on the other side). But still no sims are going past the curve.

So, I thought maybe I was connecting networks to curves incorrectly. I usually intersect another, or the same network type to a curve right at the stub.

Off to side I do a test and move the intersections one tile over from the stub. Homes develop on one street, but not the other.

I demolish the curve, construct a regular road network, and then the tract on the other street develops.

Okay, back to the NRD-4, but this time I demolish both curves. The one shown in previous pics, and another one further down.

Sims use their vehicles to go beyond that point now that the curve is gone.

Change it back to the original RD-6 network I constructed, replacing the sharp road curves with smaller 90 degree road curves, and now only pedestrian traffic travels to the next city. 

Is there a problem with those curves too? Nope, just needed to plop a parking on the RD-6 network, which somehow stipulate travel to jobs in the next city.

NOTE: I didn't take any pictures, but I also tried converting the RD-6 to an avenue, but it had the same "pedestrian only" result.

mgb204

That's rather a big load of unusual problems to digest and replicate (i.e. a lot of work)...

Perhaps it's best here to start with some basics, have you checked the pathing on these objects? Using Buggi's Extra Cheats, press CTRL + X, then type DRAWPATHS into the box that appears. Check that each of the problem pieces include arrows that connect the roads and other network's pieces fully. If you notice any gaps, almost certainly there lies your problem. Similarly if the arrows point in different directions, there is an issue.

That said, if all those pieces were missing pathing or incorrectly pathed, I have a hard time believing that's a fault of the NAM install directly. These are common pieces I've been using for ages and they've never given me such issues.

There are a lot of complex variables at work here, which could easily be tied to problems with the setups or distribution of jobs in your cities. When I see statements like these:

QuoteI was puzzled as to why none of the developments to the left could find jobs I knew were available

QuoteThis picture shows jobless sims and an unused route to jobs, even though the appropriate job type is available for them to take.

It always makes me a little weary, since figuring out if that's correct is really not all that simple. The game tools certainly don't give you an at a glance way of knowing, so how exactly are you sure of such things?

Anyhow, one thing at a time, let's get those paths checked and make sure that's not the issue.

b22rian

medit84truth

How long are you running these traffic function tests ?

I recommend a good 5 game years so the traffic sim can fully adapt to each set up ...

Wiimeiser

My guess is the intersection setup on the curve adds two or three more intersections. Why the Park & Ride fixes it I wouldn't know. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but who knows...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

APSMS

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 22, 2017, 08:12:06 PM
My guess is the intersection setup on the curve adds two or three more intersections. Why the Park & Ride fixes it I wouldn't know. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but who knows...
Keep in mind that Park & Ride is intended only for regions/cities with extensive transit facilities, as with it turned on Sims can no longer drive directly to work. They must either walk and use public transportation, or park in a garage and walk the rest of the way to work. This greatly disrupts the commute if you haven't planned ahead for it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

b22rian

Thanks, I appreciate all your guys postings and ideas  :thumbsup:

There was one more thought I had after having a second look at medit84truth's fine collection of pics,

... , and that is the neighbor connections have a history also of being quite "buggy" concerning traffic and what passes thru or not passes thru those connection network spots.. Just odd sorts of things like this, like all of a sudden they start acting dodgy concerning traffic types and volume of traffic reported ect..

I think as MGB noted above though, its most probable to me that there are a variety of contributory issues and multiple causes at work here..

That aside it certainly is a fine collection of diagnostic pics and quite well explained and documented by medit84truth..
Certainly of high value for traffic game enthusiasts and quite interesting as well ...

I think if we all pitch in and work together on this , this is of a fair amount of value in regards to any lingering issues and bugs but also possibly some insights into how the traffic Sim functions  ;D

I also like the idea of taking our time as MGB suggested and taking each issue separately where that is possible to do..

ADRI CJ

Hi everyone

I have a problem with the double decker rhw
The ramps doesnt works since the dd were lowered (dunno the version)... As soon as you or any automata reach the ramp, it dissapear...

Anyone else having this problem?? I dunno if someone else posted it already, but...

Thanks everyone!!

Tarkus

First off, welcome out of lurkdom, ADRI CJ!  I'd probably need to know a bit more about your situation before I could really look into your issue. Which ramp specifically is causing the issue?  Is traffic (per the Route Query arrows, not the Automata) using it?  The automata are actually just a visual effect created by simulator data, and while they sometimes can hint at an actual functional issue, they are known to behave badly in a number of situations, and are not the most reliable indicator by any stretch. 

An image of the setup in question would help, so I can replicate it for my own testing.  If you have the SC4ExtraCheats.dll file, you can also run the DrawPaths cheat, which would actually show the underlying network paths.

Based on the sounds of it, it could be that there's an older puzzle piece-based component that somehow escaped having its paths lowered, but I'd need more details to actually confirm that.

-Alex

Edit: Found your comment on the NAM download on the STEX with the GIFs.  You're going to need to rebuild the interchange.  The "lowering" of the DDRHW-4 was done back in 2015 with NAM 33.  It was done to accommodate the future DDRHW-8, without having to also create L3 RHW-8S and L3 RHW-8C networks.

ADRI CJ

Quote from: Tarkus on September 30, 2017, 12:10:20 PMYou're going to need to rebuild the interchange.

Hello again and thank you for your answer.
I posted the gifs and tried to post them here, but they dont "play", and I forgot to give a link to simtropolis or similar, my bad.

I know the different levels, the problem is, if I remove the old ramps and put the new ramps, the fail persist (I dont mean the levels, I mean that when I go to that piece, my car or automatas disappear. This doesnt happens before)

Again thank you.

Updated: Ok, heres some pics. I dont know much about modding, but those X....... :/

Tarkus

The reason it's not working is because you still have the transitions going down from L3 and L2, instead of from L2 and L1.  Demolish your existing transitions and replace them with L2-L0 (for the ramp off the upper deck) and L1-L0 (for the ramp off the lower deck) and you'd have it.  The FLEXHeight transitions would do the trick for both.  If you're really set on using the old static puzzle pieces, and have the Maxis Highway Override/Project Symphony installed (which includes a static L0-L1 transition), it's possible to do it that way as well.

It's also possible to build the ramp interfaces for the DDRHW-4 using the FLEXRamp or Draggable Ramp Interface (DRI) systems, albeit some of the DDRHW-4-related overrides for those aren't the most stable (though it can snap into place using the "clickaround" technique).

-Alex

ADRI CJ

Ummmmmmm...... OK........

Completely new RH ramp access created, everything correct now, no mistakes, and...... still not working

Its me or the DrawPaths arrow are like in another level??? I mean, they looks like theyre in lvl 3-2 and not in 2-1 (look pic arrows)

&mmm &mmm &mmm &mmm

eggman121

Thanks for the screenshots ADRI CJ

It looks like you are using the Puzzle Piece based ramps instead of the Flex Ramps.

The Flex Ramps can be overridden to make the desired on/off ramps.

There should be a description under the A1 and B1 pieces.

The level was L3/L2 but in NAM 33 it got changed to L1/L2.

I stand corrected if my assumptions are not right.

-eggman121

Tarkus

It does indeed appear that the old static puzzle piece-based ramps did not get their paths lowered.  NAM 33 was also around the time that we declared most of the old puzzle ramps "deprecated", as the FLEXRamp/Draggable Ramp Interface system had been massively expanded (including adding DDRHW-4 support), so it's likely the puzzle piece version got overlooked in the process.

In any case, it was easy enough to fix it just now.  Extract the contents of the .zip below to your Plugins\z___NAM directory, and it should lower the paths down on the puzzle version. I've also updated the RHW Legacy Support file here on my end, so the patch will no longer be necessary once NAM 37 releases.

-Alex

Kitsune

The 6s draggable smooth curve (or whatever is called) has an issue with the L1 6s:

I've tried dragging from either ends, that just deconverts. I tried placing 1 tile of rhw but it would not let me place it.

This I'm not sure is a bug or unsupported:

~ NAM Team Member

Alan_Waters

Greetings to all!
Tell me, will this be somehow corrected? Can separate lots?

And one more question. Maybe not on the topic, but someone can help.
ARDEN Seasonal Tree Controllers is installed, but after a while the trees from this mode are replaced by pine trees from PEG. Removed PEG_GMTree-Pines, but now other pines are staged from PEG.

eggman121

Hi Alan_Waters

At this time only the ERRW L2 variant can cross these networks at these directions.

-eggman121