• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AAM and RAM and other things too

Started by Tilarium, June 30, 2009, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilarium

So we have the SAM... but how about an Avanue version (AAM) or a Road version (RAM) or even a highway version (HAM)!  Some of the SAMs would look great in my city centers but due to traffic I end up having to upgrade to roads... would be nice to have some variety, yeah?  And you know, roads and avenues don't really look all that hot in a rural city... so wouldn't it be cool to have dirt roads and avenues!?  Another thing I was thinking would be nice is a MIS for maxis highways.  I had thought that NAM had them a long while back, but I'm probably mistaken and thinking about the orginial release of RHW. 

Kyle

Tarkus

Good question, and the concept of those other "-AMs" has been discussed, but for a variety of reasons, they're not really feasible.  The reason the SAM works is because of how that network gets used by most players, and the limited number of pieces required.  Also, there were not other plans in place for the "false intersections" required to initiate override networks--there's a limited number of them.

A "RAM" for Roads would be extraordinarily difficult, as it's quite possibly the most used network in game, and in addition, most of the NWM networks use Road overrides as well.  It would be extremely difficult to control the texture variations with such a mod, especially in the vicinity of NWM networks.

Similar thing with an AAM.  The HAM idea is complicated even further, as it'd require doing separate versions of every single interchange piece for each texture variation, which would be a fairly monumental task.  There's also some quirks with 2-tile networks.

And as far as MIS Ramps for Maxis Highways, that's not likely to happen, either.  Part of the reasoning there is due to the awkward scaling of the Maxis Highways when compared to the MIS--an MIS Ramp is basically two Maxis Highway lanes wide--it would look rather strange.

Hope that answers your questions.

Best,
Alex