• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A question about mall tiles

Started by VeTram, February 14, 2009, 11:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeTram

Hi to all  :)...and Congratulations to the NAM TEAM ... &apls.....i am reading in the Readme of NAM for the mail tiles....."Note: Ped Mall Tiles can NOT be used as a replacement for Street/Road/OneWayRoad/Avenue access for direct access to Residential Zones. Sims can however access Ped Mall Tiles directly from their homes (from their backyard for example), just not in front of their Residential Zoning Arrow. Residential zones must still have Street/Road/OneWayRoad/Avenue (with 'Car' access) at the front of their zoning arrow in order to develop - This particular characteristic is effectively controlled by the games' EXE & can not be changed"...although i just realised that Residential zones develop the same as Commercial zones with their Residential Zoning Arrow facing the tiles!....what is the truth anyway? ...thanx

and something more in connection with the above.....as i can realize while sims walk along Mall tiles for a long distance , they cannot cross a road which is between the Mall tiles.This can change only if i use flexible underground road and in the top a pedestrial mall tile. Is it so , have i missed something?...thanx again
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

TEG24601

Sometimes the Residential zones will develop along the Mall tiles, but you will get the "No Car/Long Commute" Zot over the zone.  However if you build along a road, then put the mall on the backside of the zone, the sims will have vehicle access but will also use the mall tiles behind their property.  As for crossing streets, you could also use the Pedestrian Bridge tile over the road or use Road Top Mass Transit and place it on the road or street where the malls are on opposite sides, it has been my experience that that will usually allow sims to cross the streets on the malls.

TEG

VeTram

Some comments concerning TEG'S24601 answer ( thanx friend) .....
-I have checked , Residential access and i can surely say that , Residentials can have jobs and not any zot sign , even if they are placed with their arrow facing the mall tiles!  The only prerequisite for this to happen is to place a road in the opposite of the houses. I have checked it and it's absolutely true. :)...in my opinion this is quite realistic as most of house's backyards have parking lots that face to road this time.

-now about road crossings, the Pedestrian Bridge is a solution for sure ( but it is a little unrealistic , IMO ) , also RTMS bus stations is another solution ( thanx for the advice) , which is much more realistic , but notice that only works for the closest Residential zone , and finally another solution is to place a flexible underground road ( it exists on NAM) .  Perhaps there are and other solutions , but that's what i have found since now. If anyone knows pls..

For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

z

Quote from: VeTram on February 15, 2009, 02:24:11 PM
-I have checked , Residential access and i can surely say that , Residentials can have jobs and not any zot sign , even if they are placed with their arrow facing the mall tiles!  The only prerequisite for this to happen is to place a road in the opposite of the houses. I have checked it and it's absolutely true. :)...in my opinion this is quite realistic as most of house's backyards have parking lots that face to road this time.

This makes sense, as we have long known in RTMT that a road along the side of a lot works as well as a road along the front.  So it would appear that the arrow really only controls the orientation of the lot; a road along any side is enough to make it fully functional.  The NAM Team should probably fix their ReadMe to reflect this.  Good work in verifying this, VeTram.  :thumbsup:

Tropod

This has been well known since day one; it's just not encouraged due to some very subtle anomalies (particularly with Res) and hence why the readme regarding this particular aspect is/was the way it is.

z

Could you please elaborate on what these anomalies are?  That would be very helpful.  Thanks!

Tropod

It may not be something that'll be an issue for many, but potentially can be.

It's more a case of R,C,I being handled differently by the game & the flow on effects of this. The underlying criteria behind why/how residential buildings should develop (properly), relies solely on there existing road-type with car access. This is a fundamental aspect of the game. And though C & I require similar criteria, it is slightly different & it's not fundamental. You can get C&I to develop sustainably without road/car access of any kind, and though you can get R to develop too without road/car access, it is not sustainable; which is what can lead to the cyclonic development issues in either NRZ or NJZ cases or both.

The only criteria any R need in order to develop, is access to 'a' (single) job. And this can be achieved without using any roads/car-access at all; but for sustainable development this requirement must be meet by way of road-type access from R to 'any' (single) job; but if these R are not connected properly to the rest of the network/city in some way (& thus the rest of workforce), NJZ/abandonment can/will occur in circumstances that may not otherwise take place, essentially masking the real cause taking place here (which is a lack of connectivity). C&I on the other hand does not require that there exists a link between itself & R in order to develop, it only requires that there is demand & network access (at its most basic level).

Using PMT in front of R & using road-type on other sides, only masks the potential issues that can & probably do/will occur in my opinion, especially as a city/region gets bigger, since many/most people won't/don't understand the underlying aspects of how the game works. And so basically, though it all boils down to how an individual implements their use of these things, it has been discouraged as some users may blame/lay fault with it due to using them incorrectly, or having unrealistic expectations/usage, in an overall setting.

Personally, I never use PMT in front of Res.