• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM 2.1.0 Uploaded and ready

Started by InvisiChem, January 28, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APSMS

Quote from: Flaschensammler on February 22, 2016, 10:14:41 AM
Everything works fine now, I think, can't tell the difference yet, super hyped to try this now
Glad to see you got it working; I always forget that the DATpacker leaves everything in your plugins folder. In the case of SimCity_1.dat, this means it doubles all your transit items, and I did the same thing you did when I first started out. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Also, not to be that guy, but try to keep your language PG level. I'd edit your post myself, but I don't actually have Mod permissions over this part of the forums.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

InvisiChem

Thank you APSMS. Somehow I missed that post completely.  Me being  ???

Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

Ocram

I look forward to playing SimCity 4 in my free time (this summer). It only took 12 years for the game to experience a renaissance. Thank you for working on the CAM!
If you always do YOUR best you will always be better than the best.

Can't think of anything better for a sig.

APSMS

Quote from: InvisiChem on January 29, 2016, 07:27:05 AM
@Mikey Knox  It should not be a problem. I have included it in the installer. Which dll file is it saying is missing?

I still suggest using the Opera House Fix. This one is not included in CAM.

Radical Ordinance V2.0 should not conflict. Just load after CAM and NAM. CAM has a crime attenuation fix, so be sure to load this after, NAM modifies the Car Smogging ordinance, so load this After NAM to overwrite that one. Careful loading after NAM. There is a couple of Pathfinding exemplars in there that could mess up the Traffic Simulator in NAM.

It is radical, so be careful with it's use. It can unbalance things very easily.

SPAM will completely overwrite the IR modifications of the CAM. SPAM stages only go to 5, whereas CAM goes to 10. Also, the traffic and pollution fixes in CAM would be overwritten. There is ways to modify the SPAM Controller file to work with CAM, but that is for a different discussion and I'm not sure if it violates PEGPROD's agreement yet.
Could we load the SPAM before the CAM, so that the farms grow (they will need to be modified, but I'm not feeling up to whipping out the PIM-X for that yet) but the controller is overridden by CAM?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

FrankU

I think you don't need to load the SPAM in order for the farms to grow. I guess you can just put the farms in your plugins and let them grow with CAM.
For a proper reply I should have tested this first, but my time is limited.

InvisiChem

Indeed you are correct Frank, you can run SPAM farms without the SPAM controller. There will be some farms missing from SPAM if you use this method. These are the farms that override the Maxis farms in SPAM.

There is another problem with attempting to use SPAM farms. SPAM uses all industrial types in their farms. If you look at them in reader, the jobs are IR, ID, IM and IHT. Fields included. The exemplars removed to make them compatible also sum all the industrial types together.

Before CAM, this was a great way to get IR to act like other industrial types. The main benefits of SPAM are now included in CAM - Education does not automatically kill farms, traffic effect lessened, pollution effect lessened, job amounts, field query - only I think CAM does it better by not shifting these values into all the industrial types.

The SPAM farms are very pretty though, so in order to properly use them, one would have to PIM-X the farm buildings and remove the ID, IM and IHT occupant groups and job types from farm fields.

Kolossi

Been playing with CAM 2 for a while now and it's been interesting but however not to my liking, specifically choosing the Extended option. As such, I'd like to switch over to the Standard option, so I assume I need to reinstall CAM 2 over. My main concern is the region I've been building with Extended option. Can I keep it if I switch to Standard or will there be some drastic changes that could set back progress by a long shot?

Also, is the reinstall as simple as just running the installaion again or do I need to do a fresh install?

InvisiChem

For the install, just reinstall using the Standard option. No need for a fresh install. The installer will run the uninstaller on its own, so when you see CAM 2 successfully uninstalled, you are on the right path. Just keep running the installer.

With Standard, your stages are going to progress faster, so you'll start seeing larger buildings quicker. There should be no dramatic effects from switching PlayStyle. The only changes will be the amount of population required to reach specific stages and the loading screen will change to reflect that style.

Feel free to play with the PlayStyles until you find the one you like. Standard will run mostly like the original CAM, Rural is less likely for high stage development, Extended is for large regional play, Midrise grows like European cities and Skyscraper is for extremely fast development.

Have fun. :)

Kolossi

InvisiChem

@APSMS
QuoteCould we load the SPAM before the CAM, so that the farms grow (they will need to be modified, but I'm not feeling up to whipping out the PIM-X for that yet) but the controller is overridden by CAM?

Technically, this could work fine. The only problem then comes with the way jobs are distributed in the SPAM farms. Although, this worked fine for many years, so many people are okay with the way they are distributed. It should work the same way. The CAM exemplars will override the SPAM exemplars. Unfortunately, the Maxis TGI farms in SPAM would again be overridden by the CAM Maxis TGI exemplars. Even once I finish the building updates for this CAM, The Maxis TGI are completely blocked.

I could set up a specialty group to interact with the SPAM so as not to override PEG's Maxis override. I would rather get PEG's permission to CAM his SPAM though. lol

Applevorous

Sorry to ask a troubleshooting question here, but I've looked everywhere for a solution with no success.

When trying to use the installer (have tried with both extended and standard settings enabled), the SC4 Dat Packer window does not appear when it should, after I close the ReadMe file. Instead, I get an error message directing me to a log file (SC4DatPacker.exe.log), which loads blank with an "Access Denied" message.

Also, since I will be starting my new game without CAM loaded, is there any issue with installing it on an already-functional city?

Thanks much for the mod and for any help!

matias93

Maybe some missing DLL? Paste the content of the error log to check that.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

woodb3kmaster

"Access Denied" makes it sound like a UAC conflict (assuming you're using Windows). Did you try running the installer as an administrator?

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Applevorous

Yeah, was hopeful that would do it, but no such luck.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I initially encountered another error message relating to a missing DLL, "msvcp71.dll". That message went away when I installed a copy, but no change otherwise.

On the advice of a comment I read in the STEX page for CAM, I also made sure to have the mfc71, gdiplus, and msvcr71 DLLs installed, but again, no difference.

InvisiChem

MSVCP71.dll is included with the SC4 Dat Packer in the temporary directory with the installer. Same with MFC71.dll and GDIPlus.dll. Unfortunately, these are not always working correctly. Next version of the installer is going to move to a modified version of JDat Packer to solve this problem.

This error only happens a handful of systems. Not exactly sure what is the whole problem yet. As a workaround, here is a different install process.

1. Download the Mac version here, http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3336
2. Download JDat Packer here,http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3140
3. Unzip the Mac Version of CAM to your \Documents\SimCity 4\  Directory.
4. Create a directory in \Documents\SimCity 4\  named Original Maxis Files
5. Create a directory in \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\  named PluginsCompressed.
6. Copy SimCity_1.Dat from the SimCity 4 install Directory, should be something like C:\Program Files(x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\  , to the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\   folder
7. Copy SimCity_1.Dat from the SimCity 4 install Directory to the new Original Maxis Files directory (This creates your backup copy of SimCity_1.Dat)
8. Run JDat Packer - Input directory will be \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\  - Output Directory will be \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\PluginsCompressed\
9. Close JDat Packer. In PluginsCompressed, rename the file SimCity_1.dat
10. Copy the new SimCity_1.dat to the SimCity 4 Install directory - Overwrite the file if asked to.
11. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\PluginsCompressed\  folder.
12. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\   folder
13. In folder \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\a__CAM\Core Files\  Several files will be listed as PlayStyle. Keep only the PlayStyle you wish to have. If you use the Rural PlayStyle, also keep the FarmOverride file. Delete all other PlayStyle files. They are not compatible with each other.

This will fully install CAM the manual way. There will not be any Registry entries telling future installers the IR Patch has been applied, which version of CAM is installed and no uninistaller. This will not hurt your system and all future installers will continue using Cleanitol, so this also will not be a problem. I never suggest manually editing the Windows Registry.

Again, I apologize for this failure. SC4 Dat Packer is a great program, but it is getting very aged and new Windows operating systems are not very kind to it.

InvisiChem

Forgot to reply to some of your other questions here. Sorry.

QuoteWhen trying to use the installer (have tried with both extended and standard settings enabled), the SC4 Dat Packer window does not appear when it should, after I close the ReadMe file. Instead, I get an error message directing me to a log file (SC4DatPacker.exe.log), which loads blank with an "Access Denied" message.

Also, since I will be starting my new game without CAM loaded, is there any issue with installing it on an already-functional city?

The reason for the Access Denied message is the Temporary Directory is deleted after the installer finishes. Any files that could not be immediately deleted are marked for deletion upon restart and restricted, even with Admin Privildges. The installer automatically runs in Administrative mode, so no need to run as administrator.

There will be some minor effects on the new city after installing CAM. Demolish the Nuclear Power plant, medical clinic or solar power plant before installing and replop or you'll get the phantom slider bug. It will take a small amount of time for your economy to readjust to the new settings in CAM. Other than that, it should be okay. The problem is only magnified in large regions. One or two cities should recover very quickly.

bombardiere

Did you something to the rewards? ;) I started a new region with 2.1. and the Mayor's house show up only after I had 3500 residents. That is ok. I think that in vanilla game the rewards came too early. There is nothing for late game.

Otherwise I think I like what you have done. :)  I use "extended" option and growth, upwards, is clearly slower. That is good as I want build up slowly. Money is tight, but not too much and I have been able to build in Hard mode. Although I have no money for big projects. So no highways until my population builds up and then I may need the Pradoan banking and transfer money between cities.

The demand, or should I said drivers, are high however. With one city in the region, only two road connection and 3500 population, I have 50 000 drive for R$. Pretty high, but I have to see how it behaves on long run.

Another issue is the agriculture. I haven't read exactly what you did with the jobs, however now even small farming lots are demanding a large number of employees. If it is a fruit orchard, then 6 x 6 lot can employ about 100 workers.

I have got used to play with large number of fields filling my early cities.  Sometimes it seems that no matter how many fields I lot, I am not able to satisfy the demand. Now with 2.1. 5- 10 lots are enough for early demand. I haven't played long, but it looks like this demand recovers quickly. However, I have a huge number of agricultural jobs available in my early city and I can't keep up zoning residential lots fast enough for these worker. :)

InvisiChem

QuoteDid you something to the rewards?

Yes, these had not changed since vanilla. With the much larger populations attainable with CAM, I extended the populations before rewards with this version. It is not perfectly set yet, but a work in progress.

QuoteAnother issue is the agriculture. I haven't read exactly what you did with the jobs, however now even small farming lots are demanding a large number of employees

Certain fields, such as the Lettuce field gained an extra worker. Most are left with the original CAM 1.0 employment numbers. The largest changes to IR were separating them from the Parent Cohort chain, changing how pollution/garbage were handled by fields, Air pollution and traffic effects, and an increase in the spread of desirability to lessen abandonment. CAM 1.0 started to bring IR to similar employment as other types of medium density industry, just a little lower. Increasing certain fields brings IR into a similar range as other industry. :)

QuoteI have got used to play with large number of fields filling my early cities.  Sometimes it seems that no matter how many fields I lot, I am not able to satisfy the demand. Now with 2.1. 5- 10 lots are enough for early demand. I haven't played long, but it looks like this demand recovers quickly. However, I have a huge number of agricultural jobs available in my early city and I can't keep up zoning residential lots fast enough for these worker.

The demand indeed does recover very quickly. The drives are designed this way now. :) I wanted to make IR a truly viable industry for both rural areas and skyscraper cities. The only limit now is imagination. I've got a lot of ideas to make it even better, but let me get it slightly working before I let loose too much. This massive employment is also where your R$ demand is coming from. I hope it doesn't kill the gameplay for you.

IR has always been a niche area and a starting industry for any region. Now, just like in real life, farms are always in demand. I think of them as the industrial backbone since they provide the food needed for all civilizations. More people, more farms needed, which then need more workers, then more farms to feed them, etc.

I am glad you are enjoying most of the changes. Feel free to post photos and give all your feedback you want. It will help me to refine each one to better suit all the players, you and I included. :)

Mero90

QuoteYes, these had not changed since vanilla. With the much larger populations attainable with CAM, I extended the populations before rewards with this version. It is not perfectly set yet, but a work in progress.

I'm glad to see that, I'm currently work on a stats balance of civics buildings, including also power, water, police, fire and education rewards (not health for now). For some rewards I completely changed their trigger giving them a more proper task. ()stsfd()

This should work in synergy with both NAM and CAM (I'm testing it with them). For now I approached to this by overriding only reward scripts files instead of the costants file, that could used by other mods (CAM included). I hope this won't have conflicts with the future CAM. &Thk/(

InvisiChem

It shouldn't. I edited the main constants LUA to make this happen. The other scripts are left untouched. If we find any conflicts, we can work together to work out a solution. :)

P.S. PM sent with the IID's of the ones modified.